Concerned About Playtime Behavior

mydiamond

Diamond is a really friendly dog. He wants to greet every dog that he meets! Okay, except one particular Pomeranian that he somehow dislikes, but generally every dog is a friend in Diamond's world. However, Diamond has never been in a real, all-out, off-lead play with another dog. The thing is, once the play actually started, Diamond just submits to whatever his play mate does. He lacks the ability to tell the other dog off when they're making him feel uncomfortable. First year I had Diamond, I met this nice family with a teeny tiny male husky called Mike. He's half Diamond's size but twice his attitude. Mike loves Diamond, but he likes humping him too. I can see that it made Dime uncomfortable, but he didn't do anything about it! He just froze, or move away if the behavior continues. Mike, obviously, didn't get the message. So the humping continued, and I decided to stop the play time. That's too bad really because the boys really just love each other. With other dogs that have better social skills--ones that don't hump or bite too rough--Dime is absolutely lively. He jumps and runs around like a lunatic. But not every dog has perfect social skills, and Diamond's lack of ability to tell off other dogs concerns me. I met this beautiful young husky Shasta few weeks ago and found that the boys get along well, but now I think twice before letting Dime go play with him. Shasta's afternoon walk session always ends before we get to his house (a bit far from my neighborhood) so all this time the boys sniff and bow to each other through the gate. Today, however, Shasta was being taken out for a short potty walk and met Diamond outside his house. The boys start to sniff and bow like usual but then Shasta started humping (from the sides though? I saw in a TV show that humping from the sides is just an act to initiate play...) and I can see that it intimidated Dime. He froze solid in his place, and cornered himself to a parked car nearby trying to get away from Shazz who, just like Mike, didn't get the message. I know social skills can only be learned by actually socializing, but I'm a bit worried... What if Diamond had enough, skipped all the warning growls and go right to the fatal bite? Or even if he didn't, I still don't enjoy watching Dime being "bullied" like that. Honestly, I don't even know there's a dog in this Earth that doesn't know how to yell at other dogs  :huh: will letting him play more with Shasta helps? Right now I am really tempted to ask Shasta's owner if the boys can play in his yard off-lead since it's securely fenced and all... But I won't if Dime won't enjoy the play. Sorry for the long thread, but I hope you guys have some advice to offer. Thanks in advance xxx 

Honestly, as long as you watch his body language you should be fine. I'm not saying you won't have a scuffle EVER but more than likely since he's not dominant you won't have any issues. It's scary to start introducing your furbaby to other dogs when you're unsure of how they or the other dog might react.

Luka isn't necessarily dominant and plays great with other dogs as he's been socialized from day one but I was so nervous about letting him play with our foster dog, Bexley. Overall, I just watched them both and it was fine. They have been in a few "disagreements" but warning growls were given so it wasn't exactly a surprise.

If you want him to be able to play with other dogs I'd def just start doing it. It's the easiest way, I wouldn't fret too much over it. :)

I know I was always nervous about letting Nikko play with other dogs.  Especially since Nikko is obnoxious and comes off too strong for most dogs and doesn't know when the other dog has had enough.  When I brought Kodi in, Nikko would keep pushing him, and Kodi does not let it go on for long.  He will growl and snap once, and if Nikko continues a fight breaks out.  I just had another one a few days ago. 

Good luck though :)

I know I was always nervous about letting Nikko play with other dogs.  Especially since Nikko is obnoxious and comes off too strong for most dogs and doesn't know when the other dog has had enough.  When I brought Kodi in, Nikko would keep pushing him, and Kodi does not let it go on for long.  He will growl and snap once, and if Nikko continues a fight breaks out.  I just had another one a few days ago. 

Good luck though :)

and that's exactly what happens with Luka and Bexley. I swear Luka has no concept of social behavior. Bexley growls and Luka keeps on and then Josh and I are pulling them off of eachother. lol

Yup ;-) exactly what has happened with Nikko and Kodiak.  I think part of it is that when Nikko and Yukon play, Yukon will take ALOT of abuse before he fights back.  I usually don't intervene unless I see he gets too rough.  So Nikko is probably used to a dog allowing him to play rough.  But Kodiak is quick to get mean and does not tolerate much.

Yukon and Kodiak have only gotten into it once, and it was over a toy.

and that's exactly what happens with Luka and Bexley. I swear Luka has no concept of social behavior. Bexley growls and Luka keeps on and then Josh and I are pulling them off of eachother. lol

Good luck. :)

Always watch both dogs' body language - it tells you a lot about what's happening and what the dogs are feeling. 

And I think it would help if you'd use this thread as a reference...you may be able to stop a fight before it happens. :)

Also, in that thread is a link to an interesting article on 'Why dogs hump'. Basically, it can be dominance related, an attempt to get a 'rise' out of a dog (hopefully a good one - like play!), etc. 

Yup ;-) exactly what has happened with Nikko and Kodiak.  I think part of it is that when Nikko and Yukon play, Yukon will take ALOT of abuse before he fights back.  I usually don't intervene unless I see he gets too rough.  So Nikko is probably used to a dog allowing him to play rough.  But Kodiak is quick to get mean and does not tolerate much.

Yukon and Kodiak have only gotten into it once, and it was over a toy.

Luka and Knox have never gotten into it. Knox plays just as rough as Luka. I don't have issues with them really.

Bexley and Luka are the same. Bexley is done with play after a short period and then it's on. Most every time has been over a toy though. The last incident Luka tried to get near Bexley when he had something and they kicked off.