New To The Raw Diet Am I Doing It Correctly???

huskywolfdog

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't let her eat the raw meat on the carpet. Not only is it unhygienic, but the meat...being raw...is bloody. I've learned from experience that blood is hard, if not impossible, to get out of your carpet. 

So, when Suka gets an occasional raw treat, he is to either eat it outside, or I confine him to one room where we have laminate flooring. :)

Also, its recommended to freeze the meat for a few days before serving. This should kill off most of the bad bacteria in the meat - which is good for both you and your dog! 

I wouldn't let her eat the raw meat on the carpet. Not only is it unhygienic, but the meat...being raw...is bloody. I've learned from experience that blood is hard, if not impossible, to get out of your carpet. 

So, when Suka gets an occasional raw treat, he is to either eat it outside, or I confine him to one room where we have laminate flooring. :)

Also, its recommended to freeze the meat for a few days before serving. This should kill off most of the bad bacteria in the meat - which is good for both you and your dog! 

Chicken is generally fine if you buy it that day fresh and give that day ... if not i do always freeze everything expecially fish :)

i only brought it this morning so it should be fine the other are in freezer, we have got her out of the habit of peeing and pooing in the house but i dont wanna go backwards as she suffers from separation anxiety bad!!!! im thinking ill get a child gate and lock her in kitchen so she can still see me and have her chicken to her self instead of the cats trying to pinch bits 

i only brought it this morning so it should be fine the other are in freezer, we have got her out of the habit of peeing and pooing in the house but i dont wanna go backwards as she suffers from separation anxiety bad!!!! im thinking ill get a child gate and lock her in kitchen so she can still see me and have her chicken to her self instead of the cats trying to pinch bits 

Good idea with the child gate. :)

According to this article, you should freeze your meat regardless if you've gotten it fresh or not. There's been a lot of cases lately (atleast, over here) where salmonella and etc have been found in meat (for human consumption) due to the way they process it. And, if getting it from a smaller butcher, you should freeze it anyways...because they may not have the equipment/finances in place to properly inspect their meats for contamination. 

Oh, and by the way...if you're going to be feeding fish...don't feed Salmon (Farmed only, I believe?) or Tuna...both can contain a parasite that is only deadly to canines!

Good idea with the child gate. :)

According to this article, you should freeze your meat regardless if you've gotten it fresh or not. There's been a lot of cases lately (atleast, over here) where salmonella and etc have been found in meat (for human consumption) due to the way they process it. And, if getting it from a smaller butcher, you should freeze it anyways...because they may not have the equipment/finances in place to properly inspect their meats for contamination. 

Oh, and by the way...if you're going to be feeding fish...don't feed Salmon (Farmed only, I believe?) or Tuna...both can contain a parasite that is only deadly to canines!

You can feed the salmon etc if frozen for over 15 days :)

I get my chicken now from a raw dog food supplier so i get wings, thigs etc in bulk rather than from the supermarket so its all frozen anyway now. 

thanks guys!!! i normally get frozen tripe but she seems to have gone off that didnt eat it this morning as normally she would, its ok the chicken was brought from tescos and shes had two the greedy pig ! first proper thing shes ate in ages !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! would you say get frozen chicken from the petshop? instead of tescos and whats the deal with bones im so confused can dogs eat them or not ???

Yes they can eat Raw bones :) Do not ever feed cooked bones!!!!! 

You can get the chicken from tesco thats not a problem just pop it in the freezer before feeding :) or you can buy them frozen, i buy my Raw in bulk so i get it from a supplier not a pet shop

thanks guys!!! i normally get frozen tripe but she seems to have gone off that didnt eat it this morning as normally she would, its ok the chicken was brought from tescos and shes had two the greedy pig ! first proper thing shes ate in ages !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! would you say get frozen chicken from the petshop? instead of tescos and whats the deal with bones im so confused can dogs eat them or not ???

Not sure if you should get the meat at the pet store, but I can answer the 2nd question.

Generally, raw bones are OKAY for dogs to eat. There are some exceptions though, like really small bones (that they can choke on), lamb bones (which splinter like crazy!), or any weight bearing bone (which can chip teeth).

You should never give a cooked bone to a dog - regardless if it is from the pet store or not. 

If you are just giving chicken then your not doing a Raw diet as such so you dont need to worry so much about the ins and outs of it all :) just buy some whenever you do some shopping and freeze into portions :)

I cannot give you an amount to feed as you dont know your dogs weight but generally for an adult female husky they should have in RAW about 500 grams per day this is a rough estimate though based on a typical breed standard female at 20 kilos. It varies on what your dog weighs as to how much they should have but that also varies again on how easy they put weight on etc.... i wont confuse you now :P

awwwwwwwwwwwww brain freeze lmao lol confused.com her problem is she will eat one thing then go off it i can not start to image how much i have spent of dog food every brand ect would chicken breast be better or does that not put weight on? coz i know i can get that from tescos in massive lots 

I get my guys chicken wings from Tescos. freeze them then get them out when I need them

They lurve them. :up:

They get them every 3 days or so, it just adds some decent protien

and the bones help keep the poo good and solid.

and it's the one thing I know they won't turn their noses up at. :)