New To The Raw Diet Am I Doing It Correctly???

huskywolfdog

yea she really did she look at me as if to say what i have i done wrong? all ur xmas have come at once girl lol well ill see how shes goes and if it works then hopefully she will finally put on weight if not then i dunno what else to do?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please don't take my word for the following as my information only comes from reading and research - not practice as yet. 

For the Prey Model Raw Diet you need to feed around 80% Meat (muscle), 10% Uncooked bones, 5% Liver and 5% Organs (non-liver) to ensure your dog gets all of the nutrients needed. You don't need to be exact but try to ensure that the ratios are roughly followed over a period of a week. If your dog is working hard then you need to ensure that there is plenty of fat in the meat you feed.

If you can only get your dog to eat chicken then the PMRD is probably not going to be suitable as variety of meats is recommended to ensure the diet is balanced. But this will be totally fine as an occasional meal.

Don't feed kibble and meat in the same meal as they will be digested at different rates. Kibble for brekky and meat for dinner or vice versa would be okay.

Please don't take my word for the following as my information only comes from reading and research - not practice as yet. 

For the Prey Model Raw Diet you need to feed around 80% Meat (muscle), 10% Uncooked bones, 5% Liver and 5% Organs (non-liver) to ensure your dog gets all of the nutrients needed. You don't need to be exact but try to ensure that the ratios are roughly followed over a period of a week. If your dog is working hard then you need to ensure that there is plenty of fat in the meat you feed.

If you can only get your dog to eat chicken then the PMRD is probably not going to be suitable as variety of meats is recommended to ensure the diet is balanced. But this will be totally fine as an occasional meal.

Don't feed kibble and meat in the same meal as they will be digested at different rates. Kibble for brekky and meat for dinner or vice versa would be okay.

This is correct :)

Sarah believe it or not its gone very well she has been poo and its solid and non smelly ?  so all is really good no upset stomach, she wont eat any dry what so ever so cant go that route, i wont be feeding it everyday maybe twice a week or something ? other then that shes on nature diet but it has to be warm god fussy dog !!!

Good idea with the child gate. :)

According to this article, you should freeze your meat regardless if you've gotten it fresh or not. There's been a lot of cases lately (atleast, over here) where salmonella and etc have been found in meat (for human consumption) due to the way they process it. And, if getting it from a smaller butcher, you should freeze it anyways...because they may not have the equipment/finances in place to properly inspect their meats for contamination. 

Oh, and by the way...if you're going to be feeding fish...don't feed Salmon (Farmed only, I believe?) or Tuna...both can contain a parasite that is only deadly to canines!

I feed tinned tuna with the spring water drained off-Zara loves it :S is it ok cooked?

I feed tinned tuna with the spring water drained off-Zara loves it :S is it ok cooked?

Tinned tuna is abs fine but its recommended to only give occasionally as it is high in mercury which can cause central nervous system damage, hearing loss and diminished vision. 

You dont need to cook tinned Tuna :) you are doing right by draining it off though as the water etc is high in salt which can lead to problems itself. You can also feed tinned sardines etc also they are great as high in oil so omega 3 and 6 and vitamin E also which are all great for a healthy coat and skin :)