Coeliac Disease

Mia-Blue

Well after a whole year of weight loss, tummy cramps and diarrhea my 8 year old daughter's latest blood results have come back positive for Coeliac Disease :( She has been referred to Leeds for an endoscopy so a biopsy can be taken, her paedatricion seems sure it will confirm the diagnosis. So it seems there will be lots of dietary changes which we will have to make. I was quite surprised at how well she took the news, although when she realised McDonald's is going to be off her menu soon she wasn't happy and said she is going to write a letter to them to ask them to provide a gluten free option! Bless her :D

Not sure how I feel about her having an anesthetic though! But glad we finally seem to be getting to the bottom of what is wrong, its been a very long year of seeing her so unwell.

This photo just shows how thin she is!

post-9358-0-99713500-1371508968_thumb.jp

awwwww bless her

She's such a lovely and energetic kid though, i'm sure she will adapt easily and not let it phase her

My cousin has it and it was hard work at first but you get into a routine with it

I'm sure the anaesthetic will be fine, don't worry (easier said than done i know x) xx

I'm glad things are finally getting sorted for you, soon she will be gaining weight and feeling so much better, there is a lot more to choose from now a days and some of her favourites might be completely off the table.

awwwww bless her

She's such a lovely and energetic kid though, i'm sure she will adapt easily and not let it phase her

My cousin has it and it was hard work at first but you get into a routine with it

I'm sure the anaesthetic will be fine, don't worry (easier said than done i know x) xx

She really is a happy, funny, delightful little girl, but when her pains are bad it really does knock the cheerful out of her, so to get her well again will be great :D

Its the anaesthetic thats worrying me the most :( Brooke had grommits when she was 5 and the whole thing was horrible, seeing her go floppy and all her upset as she woke up. But I know its a must so the sooner its done, the sooner we can put it behind us.

The coeliac diagnosis for me isn't too big a deal as my 15 year old nephew was diagnosed as a baby, and so many places now cater for dietry requirements. However as she is 8 she knows what she likes......maltezers, mcdonalds, jaffa cakes, lots of foods where there isn't an alternative, now that i do think will cause her upset. BUT I am well aware there are ALOT of far worse things that could be wrong and I feel very grateful that within a few weeks of being on the right diet she should begin to gain weight and no longer be in pain :)

i`m waiting for the same tests to be done ... not lost any weight ... but sick of feeling tired n crap all the time ... good luck ....

Have you had the blood test yet?

Abbie had a blood test last year that came back negative, but the latest one was positive, apparently its not 100% as if you have no gluten in your system at the time of the test it won't show up. I have been told to 'load' her with food which contains gluten before her biopsy to ensure the results are correct....it just seems cruel to me to feed her lots of the foods which causes her pain :( but I need to ensure we get the correct diagnosis, and it seems the only way to do so. Abbie doesn't eat bread anymore as she 'doesn't like it' I think she has worked out for herself which foods upsets her stomach! I have to change her diet immediately after the biopsy, so should see an improvement pretty quickly after that :)

Abbie is a happy little girl most of the time, but at other tines can be irritable and emotional, in looking forward to her being cheerful more as knowing her irritability is due to her tummy hurting is awful :(

I hope you don't have long to wait for your test! X

i`m waiting for the same tests to be done ... not lost any weight ... but sick of feeling tired n crap all the time ... good luck ....

Hope they get to the bottom of it, hugs x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Awww :( Hoping for the best, Deb, can't wait to see your lil' girl becoming all happy and delightful again! She still has that cute smile though :) Paws crossed for you!  :grouphug: