Swallowing Food

CPWK13

Hey, all! I have a question about Kato's eating habits.

We noticed that when we first brought him home, he was basically swallowing his entire bowl of food in twenty seconds. We thought that maybe he was still under the impression that he had to compete with his sibling for food, but we're not so sure now.

We purchased a Slow-Feed bowl to try and slow him down and make him realize that he doesn't have to rush anymore. He is the only puppy in our home, and our cat wants nothing to do with his food. Peter tried sitting with him a few times and telling him to stop after 5-10 seconds of fast eating, that way it took him a little longer to eat, but even that doesn't seem to work much.

Any ideas as to why he still gulping down his food so fast? He does this same thing with his water bowl, and then always gets the hiccups.

He is well fed and watered daily, so I don't understand what the issue is.

Diamond drinks like a camel as well  :unsure: then afterwards he would hack and cough and make a vomiting sound to let out a tiny drip of water. But after that he's alright  :huh: I understand that eating too fast is concerning though... what about turning mealtime into a hide and seek game? hide his kibbles in different parts of the house?  

Ares does the same. At least still did until like a few days ago. Lately he doesn't even start eating right the way but prefers to act goofy and cuddle first, however he's still quite food protective and trying to get his food away would have unwanted consequences for my hand. The only way that I made him eat slowly was giving him his meal in small portions from my hand, it was only then when he wouldn't act like a vacuum cleaner!

Yukon does this and he has ever since I got him at 8 weeks old. I had to get the slow feed bowl and it helped but he still eats like its his last meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huskies where originally bred to live and hunt on their own. They where never sure about when they got food next time so they had to make the most of what they had. Mix that with their unusual digest system and you have dogs that try to eat as much as possible even if there is no need for it. Don't give him more though. (Most) huskies won't stop eating even when they're full, making them very prone to overweight.

Glala and Dana are slow eaters but Wodak vacuums everything up in under 10 seconds. Normal food, treats, water. Everything looks like a race to him. I suspect it's also the main cause of the windfarm he maintains on his behind  :unsure:

Echo is 5 and a half and inhales her food.

Daughtry isn't quite as manic and takes a bit longer to finish.

Darwin eats slowly and carefully.

They've been together for over 3 years and thay all still eat differently

Suka does this (though it's gone within a minute), though not quite as fast as he used to when we first got him.

I find putting their kibble in a Kong (or a kong wobbler) forces them to eat slower. Try that, I've never had any success with the slow-eating bowls

Seems like they all do it. Nothing to be overly concerned about then?

Nope :)