Hello From Neb

jarn

Hi there,

I'm Jenn, and my Husky (mix, hopefully not being a purebred is cool) is Neb (short for Nebuchadnezzar).  

Neb lives with my husband, myself, our 2 rabbits (he wants to kill them), 2 cats, and a 10 year-old German Shepherd named Luc.  

Neb is now 5 years old, and I got him from a Husky rescue.  I adopted him when he was 3 or 4 weeks old, and agreed to take him (they had his mom too) when he was 8 weeks, but they called me when he was 6 weeks old and told I needed to come get him as his mom had been adopted and they had a new litter, which upset me because I've always read 6 weeks is too soon to separate pups from their mom and litter.  

Neb's mom was a Husky/Beagle/Lab cross, and we think his dad was some sort of terrier.  He weighs 35lbs.  I affectionately call him my Alaskan Husky (or a Herrier).  

Neb is good with all the other animals, except for the rabbits, and I think this is because when he was little we lived in a bigger place and they had their own room, so he didn't get to see them.  Though maybe he never would've been good with them.  He wants to chase the cats sometimes, but is pretty good about it for the most part - it's pretty rare.  

I adopted Neb thinking he'd be a kick-ass running buddy (I'm an ultrarunner) and to be honest - I waited until he was older to start running with him, so that he had finished growing - but he's a terrible runner.  He's slow, and his endurance isn't great.  (His longest run is an hour and 45 minutes).  But he loves to run, so I try to make sure he gets a few runs in a week at least.  He does much better in the winter, when it's cooler - when it hits the teens © he starts to struggle a bit.  Humidity - forget about it.

He gets 3 walks a day, and loves to hike and backpack.  I keep him on leash because he hunts, and usually sees/kills something before I'm aware of it (small stuff, obviously) and because like many Huskies if he sees something to hunt, suddenly he goes magically deaf and that's it.  We live near a huge urban park in Toronto with lots of trails, so I tried letting him off-leash there, and he immediately treed a squirrel, wouldn't come, and then kept running around the tree to get away from me.  I had to use the T-R-E-A-T word to get him (and didn't have any, whoops).  

Neb loves squirrels.  He remembers places he's seen them, trees, yards, overhead wires - and will look for them when we go by again.  He has a great passion for squirrels, but I'd say in general he has a great zest for life.  

He's an awesome little dog.  He has some separation anxiety - if we leave with Luc, our German Shepherd, he howls, which in an apartment is a bad thing - but on the otherhand, last time Luc got his teeth done, I practiced leaving Neb alone once Luc had already been gone for awhile (I stood outside in the hall) and he was fine.  

Neb with his litter and mom (his butt and leg are on her front leg):

MaddieandPups.jpg

Neb at 8 weeks old:

Nebwbone003.jpg

Neb excited to see us after we came home from a trip (Ironman Canada, we couldn't bring the dogs :( )

A3276CD9-2CB6-440E-A8E5-5EF97545BAD4-144

Neb backpacking in Killarney Provincial Park (he'd hurt his feet, and the one time I forgot booties - we duct-taped socks on):

P1010391.jpg

Neb hiking:

P1020152.jpg

And I won't bore you with any more pictures!  Thanks!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi to both of you, and yes it's a very cool name, biblical and historical, I love it.  It's a bit classier than my boy, his names Bear lol (sorry boy !)  If  we get another I hope we think a little more carefully lol,  although he's an atheist and I'm a pagan so it could be interesting !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Guys!  It's been awhile, but I missed dog talk, so figured I'd come back here...hope all are well.  

Neb turns SEVEN next month!  I can't believe it!  

What has he been up to you ask?  Well, Remembrance Day 2013 I was trail running with him and he - who is normally a terrible runner and trailing out back - felt the need to sprint up a hill and around a corner - he weighs 38lbs, which isn't a lot, but he is one strong small dude - I hit some uneven ground and pop!  Tore ligaments in my ankle, and damaged tendons.  Running has been fits and starts since then.  Neb still runs, but not on trails with me!!!!!!!  He's strictly a road or rail trail guy now.  Nothing technical.  

Here he is a few days ago practicing his long down with Luc - Neb kills me, his down is so relaxed, but hey.  

2FDAF0A9-AAB2-4547-8F61-D9BD86F3EA45_zps

Here he is last month on a weekend to Algonquin Provincial Park, we got to ski and snowshoe (dogs not allowed on ski trails sadly):

AC803450-65DF-43B9-ABD8-8411B1F94F52_zps

Winter we let Neb off leash because the snow is deep enough he kind of has to stick to the trail.

ltuntitledgt130_zpsff12cc72.jpg 

368F4DC2-E0EB-4E62-9371-49BC9F3D5CCF_zps

He went on his second canoe trip last Labour Day long weekend and had fun!

632F87BE-B985-47D5-AE5F-9326DDD60764_zps

Anyway that's it.  Hope to be around here some more!