Nikko Ate Cooked Chicken Bones!!!!

Jay

What should I do?? I had boiled some chicken and looked away for 2 seconds and he snatched the left over chicken bones and definitely ate some. I'd think it would be worse to induce vomiting. Should I just hope for the best that they don't cause damage and wait for it to pass??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they're leg or wing bones, you definitely don't want to induce vomiting, if they've splintered then you're just going to cause more damage bringing them back up. Most of the bird is cartilage which actually will help cushion any sharp edges that are there. Best thing to do: watch him like a hawk, chances are good that you won't have a problem they can digest a lot of things - but watch for blood in his stool and any vomiting. In either of those cases, get him to a vet ASAP!

Link did this once too, I was so freaked out! I watched him for a couple days but he showed no signs of him not being able to pass it or digest it and he was fine. But we had to get a baby gate for the kitchen specifically for him, lol!

I feel better! It was only one chicken breast so it wasn't a lot of bones and he didn't eat the all as I was able to pull one of them from his mouth. And I didn't know if boiling them makes them less prone to splintering

They don't splinter EVERY time.

Most of the time they will break down normally and pass through causing no problems.

However because they can and do occasionally splinter is why we advocate not feeding cooked bones.

You're quite right to worry, but chances are they'll break down like uncooked bones and pass through 

giving him nice solid poo

That's good to hear! I always hear of the dangers of them eating cooked chicken bones is why I worried. I can't take my eyes off that monster for a second without him getting into something he's not supposed to :-/

I can't take my eyes off that monster for a second without him getting into something he's not supposed to :-/

Typical Husky then :)

Stairgates, a husky owners best friend. 

Typical Husky then :)

Stairgates, a husky owners best friend.

Yup;) just upgraded mine to a taller one after discovering Kodiak's jumping abilities! If my downstairs wasn't all open I could block of the kitchen too

Naughty Nikko!! I hope he is okay! I had a friend whose dog ate an entire container of chicken wing bones (a dozen, I think) out of the garbage. He was fine. Still dumb as a rock, but fine!

We have the same issue, Chula is a snatcher. So far she's stayed off the stove, but she will put her feet on the counter and sniff around for whatever it is I might have left sitting there. She knows she isn't supposed to because the second she sees me walk in the room her feet hit the ground and she pretends she was just sniffing the ground like a good dog.

Ha!  Nikko has no shame.  I will walk in and he will continue to counter surf.  Even after yelling at him and telling him OFF it takes him a few to get off the counter.  I am surprised he hasn't burned his wiskers off on the stove. 

Yup;) just upgraded mine to a taller one after discovering Kodiak's jumping abilities! If my downstairs wasn't all open I could block of the kitchen too

yeah, we started out with normal child Stairgates.

Then upgraded to the Bettacare Petgate nearly 12" taller.

One on the Kitchen and another in the downstairs hallway so we can keep the front door secluded.