Crate

winterchillz

Okay, lately I've been thinking about getting a crate for Ares. The main reason is that I want to keep him inside and proceed faster with the potty training. I've just thought that we had some progress but then I found poo and pee all over the floor this morning :(

I saw that other members have been wondering what size to get and I'm pretty much stuck at the same question. Ares is currently 5 months old and he's almost 55 cm tall measured from his paw to his shoulder, and 52 cm from his neck to the base of his tail. I don't know what's his weight, but it should be around 20 kilos. My main requirement for the crate is to be big enough for him to fit without any issues and small enough so that he don't use it for potty.

I saw this one on Petco, what do you think?

http://www.petco.com/product/111703/Midwest-iCrate-Single-Door-Folding-Dog-Crates.aspx?CoreCat=firstinresult_carrierscratesandkennels

Oh, yea, I'm pretty much short on money as well :(

I see that some of the members go for 42 and 36, but I wouldn't want him to outgrow it in a few months. Probably go for the biggest one and just use the divider panel?

I got a big crate for Neb when he was a puppy, but used the divider panel so that it wasn't too big and helped with potty training.  This might give some perspective:

Nebsfirstday005.jpg

He's in my German Shepherd's old crate now, so he has space to move around/lie down/have a water bowl on the side.  But he's fully potty trained (just not 'don't eat electronics' trained).

I think the one Yukon is in is the 36" crate.  I originally got it for Nikko but when Yukon came along I got a bigger one for him.  But Yukon is on the smaller side, Ares seems to be about the size of Nikko when he was that age.  I would go for the bigger one and use the divider. 

That's what sucks with potty training.  You think you are taking two steps forward, and then you take 3 back lol.  It seemed to take FOREVER to potty train Nikko!

I got a big crate for Neb when he was a puppy, but used the divider panel so that it wasn't too big and helped with potty training.

He's in my German Shepherd's old crate now, so he has space to move around/lie down/have a water bowl on the side.  But he's fully potty trained (just not 'don't eat electronics' trained).

Great, thanks for sharing! At first I thought that this crate is HUGE for Ares, but then I realized Ares is much bigger too :lol: Good luck with the "don't eat electronics" training, I haven't had this problem, thankfully! ... yet.

I think the one Yukon is in is the 36" crate.  I originally got it for Nikko but when Yukon came along I got a bigger one for him.  But Yukon is on the smaller side, Ares seems to be about the size of Nikko when he was that age.  I would go for the bigger one and use the divider. 

That's what sucks with potty training.  You think you are taking two steps forward, and then you take 3 back lol.  It seemed to take FOREVER to potty train Nikko!

Right, thanks a lot, buddy! Yea, pretty much all the same with Ares! I always have to keep a close eye on him, because he just randomly decides to pee and does it with no remorse while staring at me screaming "NOOOO!" from the other room lol

That's what Nikko would do too, he would just stand there and pee right in front of me!  Luckily there were few poo incidents, probably less than 10 total.  But he was about 6 months old before he stopped peeing inside all together, except for one incident when he was 9 mos old.  But that was right after I got Yukon so I am guessing that was out of spite LOL.

Great, thanks for sharing! At first I thought that this crate is HUGE for Ares, but then I realized Ares is much bigger too :lol: Good luck with the "don't eat electronics" training, I haven't had this problem, thankfully! ... yet.

Right, thanks a lot, buddy! Yea, pretty much all the same with Ares! I always have to keep a close eye on him, because he just randomly decides to pee and does it with no remorse while staring at me screaming "NOOOO!" from the other room lol

The one I had for Skyler was the 36" option. Had it off eBay and didn't cost as much as I saw advertised in pet stores.

£28 with free delivery I think with bedding and rollers. Has been fine so far ðŸ‘

I have two crates - both 36 inches - for Chula, who is 7 months. But she is only 14kg and short. She has room to grow in there, but not a TON of room. We recently upgraded her from the 30 inch because it was just too tight. I would definitely go for the bigger crate, and for potty training purposes, put in the divider.

Potty training is tough. We had really good luck with the crate, then we moved and put her crate in a separate room, and she was peeing in there constantly. We moved it back to it's old location (in the dining room) and she stopped peeing (for now, fingers crossed). But then the other day she randomly decided to pee on the couch. It's an ongoing battle, but if you are having issues I do think the crate will help. 

I hated the idea of crates, but they have been a lifesaver for us, literally - as I have a dog who eats everything!