Conquering Animal Phobia

mydiamond

One of my best friends has a terrible phobia of dogs. She was chased down by a dog as a child to the point she has to climb a tree to save herself. It's been at least 10 years since the incident now and every day the phobia only got worse. She can't stand seeing a dog even if it's about 10-15 meters away. If a dog came running towards her she'd start running around, trembling and crying  :unsure: so obviously since I got Diamond she rarely pays a visit. When she does, she'd hide in my room or behind the sofa all the time. But today changes everything.

I've been long telling her that she has to confront her fear one day. I'm afraid the fear would build up to the point it disturbs her life. Well, Diamond is half dog half carpet. He's perfectly calm, highly tolerant, sweet and simply lovable. Plus, he's fairly huge and has this "scary, mean face". I thought Dime would be the perfect dog for my friend to exercise confronting her phobia. And well I was right :D I gotta chain Dime up first to assure my friend he's harmless, and then I got him busy with his Kong so that he won't pay attention to us. Was a slow process with a lot of running around, hiding and screaming, but at the end of the day she sat right next to my boy, petting him and rubbing his belly with no problems at all  :D in fact she came home contemplating about adopting a dog  :lol: My boy was such a star! He didn't get too excited, make any sudden movements or even pay any attention to her when he's not supposed to. He just sits there, playing with his Kong. When it's time to level up for my friend, Dime comes when called, sits on command, performs tricks... Oh my I have the best dog in the world!!  :D  :D definitely had a happy, proud moment earlier today both with Baby Dime and my friend  :D

That's awesome!  I always think it's so sad when people are terrified of dogs - not because they have to love mine, but because I feel bad when I see how scared they are, and generally at nothing (most dogs, anyway).

That's awesome!  I always think it's so sad when people are terrified of dogs - not because they have to love mine, but because I feel bad when I see how scared they are, and generally at nothing (most dogs, anyway).

I'm on the same boat :( I feel like she's missing out on the fun of one of world's greatest living being.