I Need Some Advice Please!!!!!

Keeonah

By now all of you know the story surrounding Skye and how we got her, what she was like and what she has now become. We thought that everything was going great until I came home from work at the beginning of the week to be told that all the other dogs had been picking on Skye quite badly. We have had this before but managed to stamp it out but it would seem that it has started again, worse than before. My son had to go into the run and physically pull Sasha off of Skye. It has got so bad that Skye doesn't even want to go out with the rest of them and she used to love being out with the pack. Don't get me wrong she can put up a fight and stand her ground but it now seems that she has just given up with them all picking on her. Has anyone any ideas as to how I can put a stop to this once and for all. We have tried punishing them in most of the normal ways but it seems they just don't care. I'm now worried that they will cause her some serious injury or worse. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. If I can't stop it I will have to get Skye a new home and I really don't want to do that but she doesn't deserve the treatment she's getting at the moment.

Gary.

When we rehomed Darwin 3 years ago in May.

We had 3 months of pure bliss. All 3 dogs got on well.

Then after 3 months Echo began attacking Darwin at every opportunity.

We learned to watch her body language, and could spot the tension and were able to avert a lot of the 

attacks but it went on for about 2 years. gradually decreasing in severity and time between attacks.

Echo always came off worse from these encounters as she would grab Darwin by the back of the neck.

Darwin could twist and get a hard firm grip on most of Echos head.

Which is why if you see Echo at camp she has scars over her forehead.

However no matter the damage she sustained, she kept on doing it.

We learned to separate them by grabbing the back legs and pulling the two dogs away from each other.

Never grab a fighting dog by the collar you WILL get bit. (believe me I know :eek:)

Patience and perseverance is the answer.

Be constantly alert for the body language and try to remove any triggers (food / toys / people) as you can when they are together.

It will calm down but not likely in the long run.

It took us 2 years +

I know it took Linda's boys Thor and Odin (Valkyries) at least a year to stop fighting.

Good Luck.

Thanks for your advice Andy. We are monitoring the situation but these attacks just seem to come form nowhere. One day they are all playing great together, the next, trying to rip each others throats out. This morning, Lyn brought their food in and Skye always goes to the crate to eat as she eats rather quickly. Today Skye flatly refused to go in her crate. Sasha and Nina got their food and as soon as Sasha started eating Skye went for her. Not sure where that one came from but I think she has got to the stage where she is not going to let the others get away with it.

Gary.

Thanks for your advice Andy. We are monitoring the situation but these attacks just seem to come form nowhere. One day they are all playing great together, the next, trying to rip each others throats out. This morning, Lyn brought their food in and Skye always goes to the crate to eat as she eats rather quickly. Today Skye flatly refused to go in her crate. Sasha and Nina got their food and as soon as Sasha started eating Skye went for her. Not sure where that one came from but I think she has got to the stage where she is not going to let the others get away with it.

Gary.

Yeah, the same with Echo.

There really was no rhyme or reason for the attacks.

She would just "Launch" across the room and bang, all hell breaking loose.

We've had a few issues lately too with the new kid on the block. Nika is fiercely protective of Damian, so whenever him and Asha are playing and Asha gets a bit too big for her boots, Nika latches on to her neck and throws her away from him.

Because Damian's seen Nika do that, he's started doing a similar thing with Asha's back legs, which is scaring me a little, because she's already damaged there from previous owners.

To be honest we just keep a very watchful eye on them, it helps because Daniel works nights, I work days, so there's always someone to watch them, and at the first sign of danger (usually Nika's heckles coming up) we split them up. The hard part is not to 'baby' the one that's being bullied, because that makes it worse. That's just with 3 though, with your pack I reckon it'll take a lot of time. They'll come around eventually though, through choice or otherwise, they have to live with each other! Persistence is the only way they learn :)