Best Flea And Tick Treatments

CPWK13

Hello! I'd like to get some opinions on flea and tick treatments. I just used the last dose of Frontline on both the cat and puppy, but I've heard a lot of bad things about Frontline, so if there is something better, I'd rather get that.

What kind of flea and tick treatment do you use? Why do you like it? Does it seem to work?

I  use K9 Advantixx II.  I love it, it works wonders!  I started on Frontline and I would always find ticks on Nikko, but since using Advantixx I have never had any ticks (none that were attached).  I also like it because it repels against biting flies and mosquitos. 

That's why I personally am unhappy with Frontline. We have found two or more ticks on Kato, and it's not doing anything for the fleas. He still itches and bites, and we see them hopping on him from time to time.

If you already found fleas, you probably need to find the source to get rid of them.  The fleas you do see are only about 1% of the ones that are actually there.  But I think the Advantixx works better than Frontline.  I buy mine on Amazon or Drs. Foster & Smith, much cheaper on there

I started K9 Advantix II three days ago because my last flea medication didn't help at all my pack was covered in fleas..I ordered from amazon and received in two days put it on them and I looked today and there is not a SINGLE flea or tick on any of my dogs!!

I love K9 Advantix too! A little expensive (we get it from the vet), but its worth it! The only ticks I've seen on him have been my fault (haven't applied the ointment in time, missed a month by mistake, etc). 
​

The thing I like the most about it: it's not a pill, so the ticks/fleas don't have to bite your pet (and transfer lyme disease/etc at the same time) to die...they die on contact and/or are repelled!

• 1 month later...

We have Kato on K9 Advantix II and it has worked great so far. My other pup we have on Trifexis which works amazing too. I actually just put some K9 Advantix II on Kato today. We order it from 1-800-Petmeds and it has been cheaper than other places, they usually always have 10% off.

It's not so much that regular Frontline is a -bad- product, it's just an old drug that the fleas are getting used to. It's not as effective anymore. Frontline does have a few newer products, like Frontline Tritak that are working much better. Most newer(effective) stuff you'll still have to get a prescription for from your vet.

I like Parastar Plus just going off of the positive feedback I've gotten from people using it. I have a friend that owns a farm in the outskirts of town (lots of bugs) that has tried all of the different stuff for her dogs and has not had as much success with any as she has with Parastar. Her dogs are all outside dogs too, great pyrs for guarding and border collies for herding. I haven't actually needed to use it myself.. I guess I'm in a super lucky area to not have tick problems, and Trifexis is great for the fleas.

Also to note, be careful on petmeds (or any such site/dealer). They like to bait and switch a lot, or send you a different product than what you order. Have seen people try to get Trifexis through them and they ended up with some bizarre off brand. Also have had people who get their heartworm meds through petmeds end up with heartworm positive dogs :\ A lot of products that need a prescription are not authorized to be sold through places like petmeds, so the products they end up with are not guaranteed and sometimes even stolen property from clinics.

I originally used Trifexus, which covered fleas but not ticks. Now I'm starting on lavender oil for fleas and rose geranium oil for ticks that you just put a couple drops on their collar. Apple cider vinegar in their water bowl can prevent fleas, and I've also heard adding a tiny bit of garlic in the water can also help. Tea tree oil, cedar wood, eucalyptus, and peppermint can be switched out with the lavender to prevent against fleas. However not 100% fool proof as fleas get used to the oils which is why I'm switching them up every couple months, but K9 Advantix sounds like it may work for you.

It's not so much that regular Frontline is a -bad- product, it's just an old drug that the fleas are getting used to. It's not as effective anymore. Frontline does have a few newer products, like Frontline Tritak that are working much better. Most newer(effective) stuff you'll still have to get a prescription for from your vet.

I like Parastar Plus just going off of the positive feedback I've gotten from people using it. I have a friend that owns a farm in the outskirts of town (lots of bugs) that has tried all of the different stuff for her dogs and has not had as much success with any as she has with Parastar. Her dogs are all outside dogs too, great pyrs for guarding and border collies for herding. I haven't actually needed to use it myself.. I guess I'm in a super lucky area to not have tick problems, and Trifexis is great for the fleas.

Also to note, be careful on petmeds (or any such site/dealer). They like to bait and switch a lot, or send you a different product than what you order. Have seen people try to get Trifexis through them and they ended up with some bizarre off brand. Also have had people who get their heartworm meds through petmeds end up with heartworm positive dogs :\ A lot of products that need a prescription are not authorized to be sold through places like petmeds, so the products they end up with are not guaranteed and sometimes even stolen property from clinics.

I do agree. When you check out at Petmeds they ask you if you would like a cheaper off brand of what you selected. So far I haven't had a problem(Knock on wood). We usually get his heartworm medication from the Vet. I wish they had a pill that would take care of fleas, ticks, and heartworms. You are lucky you don't have a tick problem. We would put Kato on Trifexis, but he has thick fur and we can't spot a tick on him so I don't want to risk it. Of course since Ayla has short hair it will be easier to spot it and so far Trifexis has worked great for her. We usually get that from her Vet because she is a pup and her weight changes.