Tooth Removal

Juno

So I quite recently rescued a 6 year old siberian husky that has had an awful life in the past. She was living with a middle aged couple that didn't do anything with her (they were cat people :wacko: ) and because 2 of the cats were scared of her, they tied her to a tree in the backyard. They didn't brush her, they would just shave her once a year to keep the hair down :banghead: . We tried her out for a week to see how she fit in with the family, and they all fell in love with her, including Juno. I went and got her vet checked, and they did a heart worm test. Turns out she had heart worms when she was 4, but had treatment for it. I spent hours grooming her, and nearly made an entire dog out of her undercoat.

Well, we've had her for 2 weeks now, and my brother has pointed something out to me today. 
Her other teeth are fine, but this one scares me. Does it look like it needs to be removed? Just want a second opinion

post-8755-0-40892900-1372034607_thumb.jp

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it does not look good. It looks like the carnassial molar. If so, and if it does need to be removed, the tooth has to be cracked into two pieces before it can be removed, due to the way the roots are angled into the upper jaw. I would have the vet check it first. Good luck.

That's so awesome that you rescued her! Sounds like she had a pretty miserable life but now She will get the love and attention she deserves.

In regards to the tooth I would definitely have your vet check it out, maybe it can be saved? If you don't have insurance I would recommend because dental work is $$$

Thanks! She's already adapted to getting the best quality treats I can provide.  So much so, that she's refused milk bones that the vet tried to give her :P 
I'm dreading the dental work that will need to be done, and the bill that needs to go along with it. I'm just hoping that her quality of life will still be the same after, as I've been told that removing teeth can weaken their jaw?

I should be getting discounted vet bills after working at this kennel for 3 months, and it's only been about a month that I've been working there... would brushing it every night prevent it from getting infected until then?

I've seen her chew on stuff with that side, so I'm not sure whether or not it bothers her, or how long its been there...

It doesn't look inflamed and if she isn't showing signs of discomfort brushing will help and keep any nastiness at bay until you can get in to the vets x

Poor thing sounds a rubbish start to life but things will be so much better now x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Aww poor girl :( you have done great in taking her in :) Like Sarah said it doesn't look imflamed etc and if it isn't bothering her i would leave it but i would however keep an eye on it for food getting stuck etc :)

Well done on taking her from such a terrible place.

The tooth doesn't look good.

Glad she's settling into your pack well. :)

She's fit in quite well, my family would disown me if I were to get rid of her--they're too attached.
I noticed her chewing on a bully stick today on that side, so I don't think it hurts her. She's still pretty young, so I think with lots of exercise, great food, and proper dental care, she should live past 10 years, granted if she doesn't get heart disease from previously having heart worms. 

This is what she looked like when we picked her up:

tumblr_mon6h0fwuJ1qm8ta5o1_500.jpg

She's fit in quite well, my family would disown me if I were to get rid of her--they're too attached.

I noticed her chewing on a bully stick today on that side, so I don't think it hurts her. She's still pretty young, so I think with lots of exercise, great food, and proper dental care, she should live past 10 years, granted if she doesn't get heart disease from previously having heart worms. 

This is what she looked like when we picked her up:

tumblr_mon6h0fwuJ1qm8ta5o1_500.jpg

OH, WOW !!!

she needs such a good brushing.

Be prepared to make cushions afterwards. :P

Oh yes! The first night I brushed her for nearly 3 hours trying to remove that awful undercoat. The next day, we went to the park and I let her run in the pond because she was getting a good bath after. The bath took about 3 hours, as I blew out her coat with the shop vac in the yard. so much hair! This is the result of more than 6 hours of work

tumblr_mon6h0fwuJ1qm8ta5o2_r1_1280.jpg

thanks everyone! And I have been, she's loads more affectionate than Juno. But that's probably just because Juno's had it great her entire life since she came from a good breeder.  She's constantly looking to me to tell her what to do next, I'm considering training her to be a therapy dog. She would love going places to get loved on

So guess what everyone! 
I got a call yesterday with the original owner (the wife this time) yelling at me to pay $100 for piper, since she paid 250 for a fee when she adopted her. 
She adopted her from a rescue called Palmetto Paws, who in their contract states that if the dog is rehomed, or even placed as an outside dog, they have the legal right to come and take the dog. 
So, the woman has demanded I pay $100 for a dog I will never legally own, on top of the $700 it will take to fix her tooth.

It has been a great day. just wonderful. 

I don't see how you would owe the original owner a cent.  I rescued Kodiak from a group called Adopt-A-Husky and they have a legally binding contract that stats the same things, that the rescue organization has the right to reclaim the dog under certain circumstances. It also states that I loose any money that was paid to them.

We found her on craiglist from a couple looking to rehome her, and I was stupid and didn't ask enough questions about her. When I picked up her medical records, I found that she came from Palmetto paws, an organization that requires the people to return the dog to the rescue if they ever need to rehome. Since they breached their contract, the rescue could literally come to my house and take her from me. 
But not only that, but when I got her from the couple, I was dealing with the man that owned her. The wife was kept out of the loop, which was the condition that she would be free to a good home, but she wanted money for her since she paid $250 to the rescue they got her from.  She called me up last night demanding I pay $100 for the dog, and when I tried to explain that she needed $700 worth of dental surgery, she screamed at me saying she didn't care, and how I had to pay her or return the dog. 
So not only would I have to pay $800 for her, I would never legally own her and the rescue could come and take her from me--or if they didn't find out I had her, and instead she got loose some day, I would never be able to get her back. 

I'm so angry at myself for not asking enough questions about her before I fell in love with her.

After you went through three dogs that didn't work out, perhaps consider going through and organization rescue that can help find you a perfect fit? Obviously not the Palmetto Paws place that has you on a no-adopt list, but perhaps another one?

Ohhh, I see.  I didn't understand the whole story.

That is a sticky situation.  If I were you I would contact the rescue organization and explain the whole situation.  If you let them know the condition the dog is in, and how the owners neglected her, etc. you might have better luck being able to keep her.  Explain that you found out after the fact that the dog was from their organization and that you want to adopt her formally.  If they let you do that, next time the wife calls you could tell her to take it up with them, and you don't owe them a dime. 

If you pay the woman the 100 bucks and something happens down the road, the rescue group could take her back

We found her on craiglist from a couple looking to rehome her, and I was stupid and didn't ask enough questions about her. When I picked up her medical records, I found that she came from Palmetto paws, an organization that requires the people to return the dog to the rescue if they ever need to rehome. Since they breached their contract, the rescue could literally come to my house and take her from me. 
But not only that, but when I got her from the couple, I was dealing with the man that owned her. The wife was kept out of the loop, which was the condition that she would be free to a good home, but she wanted money for her since she paid $250 to the rescue they got her from.  She called me up last night demanding I pay $100 for the dog, and when I tried to explain that she needed $700 worth of dental surgery, she screamed at me saying she didn't care, and how I had to pay her or return the dog. 
So not only would I have to pay $800 for her, I would never legally own her and the rescue could come and take her from me--or if they didn't find out I had her, and instead she got loose some day, I would never be able to get her back. 

I'm so angry at myself for not asking enough questions about her before I fell in love with her.

Ohhh, I see.  I didn't understand the whole story.

That is a sticky situation.  If I were you I would contact the rescue organization and explain the whole situation.  If you let them know the condition the dog is in, and how the owners neglected her, etc. you might have better luck being able to keep her.  Explain that you found out after the fact that the dog was from their organization and that you want to adopt her formally.  If they let you do that, next time the wife calls you could tell her to take it up with them, and you don't owe them a dime. 

If you pay the woman the 100 bucks and something happens down the road, the rescue group could take her back

Since the rescue has her on a no-adopt list.. I would say that wouldn't be possible unless a family member or someone adopted Piper for her. 

Im a bit lost here so you got the dog off a guy who sold you her free to a good home on condition his other half didn't know about it? Dodgy for a start :( Then the rescue company the dog is contracted to could take her back because its in the contract? If so then unfortunately yes they can as people shouldn't be adopting from rescues and then passing the dog on or selling the dog its against the contract. 

Tough situation to be in unfortunately :( not sure what to advise you of really as if you are on a no adopt list (why is this?) then they may well take the dog off of you but also as you say if she gets loose you wont be able to get her back which would be devistating for you and for her! I would do the right thing and contact the rescue.

I missed where she was on a no-adopt list from them. 

I would still say the right thing to do is contact the rescue.  If you are on a no-adopt list with the rescue then it would be better to know now after only 2 weeks, then wait until a couple years later when you are even more attached to her and she ends up having to go back to them.

Even if the rescue takes her back at least she will be out of the horrible situation with those previous owners.

Since the rescue has her on a no-adopt list.. I would say that wouldn't be possible unless a family member or someone adopted Piper for her.