Tooth Removal

Juno

If I was you I'd contact the rescue and tell them you've just got a dog from a couple who originally adopted her from that rescue, that you are willing to adopt her and have her surgery done etc.. They wouldn't take her back permanently if she has a good home to go to.

Is the online add still up? If so, print it out, show them the pics from when you got her etc.. They should persecute the old owners for breaking the contract and possibly neglect as that tooth problem didn't occur overnight.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would a rescue not allow you to adopt her? if she was going to be returned in the first place, they would have to find another home for her, so surely they have found a great one for her without doing anything.

Correct me if I am wrong, but personal would it be best to contact them, tell them that you didn't know she was not allowed to be adopted, and that you only found out through reading her papers and that you would like to keep her, as she is settling in well, and you would like them to come and check out your house as you would like to keep her?

is this not a possible solution or have I missed something, surely if she was returned to the rescue they would re home her anyway...hmm repeated myself a bit lol

Interesting situation, to say the least. I would contact the rescue though. It would be beyond me if they denied you, when she already fits in.....but I suppose, it's happened before. If they don't let you keep her, I'd be sure to publicize it very loudly (in your newspaper and with television stations) that you've offered this husky a home, but the rescue is refusing you for what happened in the past. 

Media is interesting (and I'm a newspaper editor)......we take a lot of "It's the media's fault." but when we pick up a cause, folks sing a different story.

Contact the rescue.

explain the situation, that you were given the dog in good faith, you being unaware of the contract with the previous owners..

If they insist on having the dog back.

Then give her back, and present THEM with a bill for everything you've done so far.

But don't incur anymore expenses (outside of food etc)

• 1 month later...

Oh sorry, it's been a while since I've been on to reply because of work! 
What we ended up doing was contacting the rescue.  I told them that we found her on craigslist and had her for about 2 weeks. We found out first that she needed tooth surgery, which I was completely willing to pay for, but then I found out the next day that she belonged to rescue after going to pick up her shot records from the old owners.  I told them we really wanted to keep her, and my father wanted to adopt her, but we knew their policy and knew she had to go back to them before we could actually call her ours. The woman I spoke to was really nice about the whole thing and kept me updated. Instead of returning her to the old owners, the rescue woman said to drop her off at my nearest shelter and she would come and get her and keep me updated. They fixed her tooth that week, and updated her on distemper, and told me that my father could check on petfinder to see when she would be back up for adoption. 
Well, I looked and looked and for about a week, I saw nothing. Finally I emailed them, and got an awful email from the woman who runs the organization saying that we knew the entire time we had her that she belonged to them because she had their tags, and it was pretty much a thanks but no thanks type of email. She thought that I was conspiring against them to keep her for the two weeks until I found out she needed expensive tooth surgery and then decided she was not worth the surgery and decided to just surrender her instead. They also said she was already adopted out.  My family is pissed at them because I didn't say anything about me wanting to adopt her, so they pretty much screwed my family over just for spite. 

Oh, and the tags she had on said "rescue dog, if found please call *********." I didn't call the tag number because I assumed it was the number that belonged to the owners I got her from. 

Oh sorry, it's been a while since I've been on to reply because of work! 

What we ended up doing was contacting the rescue.  I told them that we found her on craigslist and had her for about 2 weeks. We found out first that she needed tooth surgery, which I was completely willing to pay for, but then I found out the next day that she belonged to rescue after going to pick up her shot records from the old owners.  I told them we really wanted to keep her, and my father wanted to adopt her, but we knew their policy and knew she had to go back to them before we could actually call her ours. The woman I spoke to was really nice about the whole thing and kept me updated. Instead of returning her to the old owners, the rescue woman said to drop her off at my nearest shelter and she would come and get her and keep me updated. They fixed her tooth that week, and updated her on distemper, and told me that my father could check on petfinder to see when she would be back up for adoption. 

Well, I looked and looked and for about a week, I saw nothing. Finally I emailed them, and got an awful email from the woman who runs the organization saying that we knew the entire time we had her that she belonged to them because she had their tags, and it was pretty much a thanks but no thanks type of email. She thought that I was conspiring against them to keep her for the two weeks until I found out she needed expensive tooth surgery and then decided she was not worth the surgery and decided to just surrender her instead. They also said she was already adopted out.  My family is pissed at them because I didn't say anything about me wanting to adopt her, so they pretty much screwed my family over just for spite. 

Oh, and the tags she had on said "rescue dog, if found please call *********." I didn't call the tag number because I assumed it was the number that belonged to the owners I got her from. 

oh my gosh :( :( I'm so sorry to hear this. No chance to at least get an info about Piper's new family? Maybe you can still visit her..

Nah those awful rescue people would never give me any type of information to make my day at least a little bit better.  Some time soon though I'm going to post an ad on craigslist asking who adopted her and to see if we can get them to join our meet ups. I know Juno misses her... for 2 weeks after Piper left, I could barely get her to eat anything, and she is normally never like that. She wouldn't play with toys or want to go for walks, she would just lay there all day. It was heartbreaking for me to watch so we ended up getting in touch with a friend of her breeder and she referred me to a family who was looking to rehome a dog from one of her litters about 2 years ago. I consider him a rescue because of the shape he was in as well. I'll post some pictures in the introductions pretty soon  :)