Your Dog Is Too Skinny - You Need To Feed Her More.

Chula

Over the last few days, numerous people have told me Chula is too skinny. She eats like a horse, but just doesn't get fat. Wish I had her metabolism. She is ALWAYS hungry. She does have a slim waist and deep chest so I guess she looks kind of scrawny.

She gets around 3 cups of Blue Wilderness, plus various little doggie treats throughout the day (and the occasional Cheeto that fell on the floor). I think people are just used to seeing overweight dogs.

xVWKiQhl.jpg

She looks good to me :)  I always thought Nikko was underweight and bony, but that is just his body type (he only gets 2 cups per day). If your vet says she is a good weight then I think she is fine. 

And Yukon acts like I never feed him and he is a little chunky! 

Chulas' also still considered a puppy. From my experience & research, females don't usually put of their ->ooh I hate spelling words wrong--> girth, until 2 to 3 years 'ish.  My Sasha seemed to thin too. This past winter she finally got a little @$$ on her (as the hubby calls it)  I'm sure she'll fill out.  

She's at the ''awkward'' stage, Mishka went through it she looked all lanky and people were telling me she's was skinny, she started filling out around 14months and she still is, they take time to grow and fill out

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

my girl looks so skinny and she is actually slowly overweight, during the summer she looses her under fur first, then her guard coat.  then people start telling me how underweight she looks.

female heskies should be 35–50 pounds (16–23 kg) and 20–22 inches (51–56 cm) tall in the withers. 

if you are not happy, check with your vets

I think she looks normal too. I do admit that I am fearful of having an overweight dog because I've seen the problems it has caused for some of my friends' animals, but I'm definitely feeding her as much as is recommended, if not a bit more because she's still growing. She's just a slim dog by nature. My vet wanted me to switch her to a grain-based food, but didn't comment on her weight at all. We do take a lot of walks, and I try to make sure she stays active.

She's about 32 pounds at 7 months, but she got a slow start because of her stomach surgery. She was something like 18 pounds at 4 months. 

I wish strangers wouldn't comment on her weight though because they say it in an accusatory way. I don't tell them their dog is fat and maybe they should get off the couch and walk the poor thing.

She looks fine to me. My foster boy is very skinny he looks dreadful but he was mistreated so will take time plus he goin thru the lanky stage. Most people see huskies as been huge the same with mals there not meant to fat

That's actually what the vet told me. That almost every dog they see is overweight. I suppose it's a bit like people these days now, too. Our dogs are starting to get as fat as we are. I've actually lost 10 pounds since getting a dog because she doesn't let me sit still.

She looks fine to me , huskies (most anyway) are supposed to be lean but people are so used to seeing fat dogs now days that they think a healthy dog is underweight

She looks fine to me as well. Ares used to eat twice what all the vets said he should eat per day and he kept doing that for like months and I was still getting people telling me that he's skinny! I was like, "Seriously? He eats like 1 kilo kibbles per day!". Now I get people telling me that he "suddenly" grew up a lot and looks like an grown up dog. So, don't worry, she looks perfectly fine to me. Ares' back legs still look like chicken legs :lol:

Our Kallie is slender also and she is two now. She hasn't gotten any taller in tha last six months, topped out at 20 inches. We're hoping that she'll put on about 10 more lbs. in the next year or so. She weighs 39 lbs and feels bony, but she looks great. I wish that I could channel her energy. I'm sure your lil' gal is just fine!

post-7402-0-00949600-1372119641_thumb.jp

LOL she's at that "All legs and ears" stage.

She's fine don't worry.

I think she looks normal too. I do admit that I am fearful of having an overweight dog because I've seen the problems it has caused for some of my friends' animals, but I'm definitely feeding her as much as is recommended, if not a bit more because she's still growing. She's just a slim dog by nature. My vet wanted me to switch her to a grain-based food, but didn't comment on her weight at all. We do take a lot of walks, and I try to make sure she stays active.

She's about 32 pounds at 7 months, but she got a slow start because of her stomach surgery. She was something like 18 pounds at 4 months. 

I wish strangers wouldn't comment on her weight though because they say it in an accusatory way. I don't tell them their dog is fat and maybe they should get off the couch and walk the poor thing.

What was the vets reasoning for recommending a grain-based food?

Probably because they sell it :)  Purina One, or some such thing. She told me to put her on a food for large dogs with grains. She went on and on about calcium and phosphorus or something. That she is going to grow too much too fast and that she was going to end up with diseases and hip displaysia. And of course, she is tiny and has been on BBW puppy since she was 10 weeks old, so that obviously didn't happen. She pretty much lectured me and told me I was damaging my animal, which is why I won't be returning to that vet.

What was the vets reasoning for recommending a grain-based food?