Luna Caught & Ate A Bird, Lol

love4Luna

I guess she couldn't wait for my slow butt to get her breakfast this morning. We let her out for her morning routine, while I went back inside to make all the animal their food. My OH was out having a smoke and came in telling me that she had caught a bird! He tried, but failed to get it away from her. She gobbled it up in 15 seconds. Needless to say, she only ate 1/2 of her food this morning. Lol. I assume she will be fine, don't think eating a bird will hurt her. I just joked to hubby that I guess she'd enjoy a raw diet....

round this time of the year we call Bindi "the black bird slayer" she will eat as many as she can catch and I am always to slow for her...

I missed the whole thing. But I saw the aftermath. There are feathers scattered everywhere. Haha

My husky is a terrible hunter. She catches crickets, that's about the extent of her success. She chases squirrels and birds, but is just too goofy to catch them. She would so die in the wild if she had to rely on her skills.

Neb doesn't eat what he kills, which when I fed him raw pissed me off.  I even brought home a vole once and put it in his bowl (I know, I know) but to no avail.

Neb hasn't killed anything in ages though, other than a chipmunk that had gotten into my mother-in-law's house.  That's when I realized a lacking in his training.  He has an excellent 'drop it' but picks it right back up again (then drops it, then picks it back up, then drops it, then...).

Don't see how 'lol' fits into this, but yeah...seeing your dog kill an animal, and knowing there is nothing you can do about it, is always sad. I still can't get those death shrieks of that squirrel out of my head - and its been years. 

The most Nika's ever done is startle a baby bird out of it's nest. In Nika's defence, the nest was about a foot off the floor, it was mummy bird's silly idea to set up camp there!

She definitely tried to eat it, but we managed to drag her away from it, in the nick of time.

They all chase birds though, we live near a woods with a stream so there's no end of crazy wildlife around us (a skein of Geese flew past the other day, the dogs were so confused!)

- Caity

doesn't get any fresher than that :clap:

People need to remember that just a few thousand years ago when dogs lived in the wild.

This is what and how they would be eating.

It's the most natural thing for them to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Our lil guy ate a Scorpion last Sat!!! Eeeekkkkkkk Thankfully he is fine! 

Bloody hell! Glad he's okay, but I can't imagine that was a tasty treat :P

Damian nearly caught the biggest moth I've ever seen earlier, I didn't know whether to praise him for getting it out of my sight, or shout at him for being disgusting :lol:

- Caity :pawprint:

Where's PETA when you need them. I'm kidding of course...PETA only goes after meat eating humans! lol 

Ever see looney toons where the cat just ate the canary and theres little feathers floating around...is what I keep picturing here, only you can't hit the back of your girls head and make her spit it out. lol :D

:/ the better known PETA wants to ban all forms of sledding. They think it is animal cruelty to run the dogs.

That's BS. If that's the case, herding dogs shouldn't herd, hunting dogs shouldn't hunt, etc. Should we abandon all k-9 units? Or how about search and rescue dogs? Should they just stop? Wow, just wow.

Storm caught a crow while pulling me on the bike. It had taken off, but crows are quite lazy in flight, so Storm gave an incredible jump and plucked it out of the air! He stopped and as I overtook him, I gave a yank, and it tumbled out from between his legs. I feared the worst, but it just un-ruffled it's feather a little and took to the air! Storm was much younger then - I suspect today the crow would not have been so lucky.