Look At This Guy! *cute*

Elyse

Just look at this guy! :wub:

13408397.jpg

Wish I could take him home, but I can't...Suka would see him as a little bedtime snack. :P

I bottle-fed him and about a million others, though!

(Baby squirrel... and sorry for the sideways picture).

Just started my first day at a wildlife rehab center. There were a million* squirrels, half a million* racoons, and some possums. It was pretty fun, can't wait to volunteer again!

*Slight exaggeration... :P

Had a girlfriend who did rescue. There was always something around her apt.  Then she got three raccoon kits.  Yeh, bottle feed at all hours of the day and night!  When they got old enough we moved them into a cage on the porch, but so they could get some real exercise we'd open the door and let them in - well, let two of them in, the other one was smart enough he wasn't having anything to do with these "humans"  I have no idea how many time I'd be setting on the couch and have someone reach into my pocket and pull out a pen, or a cigarette (or the pack!). 

Good day / sad day was the day we took them out to one of the release sites and let them go ... it was good that they left, no hanging around for them, they were gone!!

Elyse, girl, my hat's off to you!  Thanks for caring for the little ones!

Thanks guys! :)

It's hard work, yet rewarding. And its not all sunshine and roses... the smells (when you're cleaning out the cages) are disgusting (mostly being poop), but hey...I guess I'll get used to it. 

Its too bad places like this aren't funded by the government...so all expenses come out of the owner's pocket. I'll be donating some things for sure...

BTW, I love racoons' little hands. You don't appreciate the buggers until they are grabbing onto your finger and trying to climb up your arm to escape the cage! Got scratched a few times, but it was all in play.

That pair of bandits you have there sure brought back memories!!  Do they have a run, that looks to be a awfully small cage ...

Unfortunately not - the owner cannot afford it. As they get bigger, they'll be put into bigger separate cages outside. There's just no room, and no money to provide them with a run....there are around 20 racoons alone in the whole place (and about 30 or so squirrels, a few possums, and some skunks), with only a few volunteers (including myself) to look after them all. They are doing the best they can - there's no government support, unfortunately. 

But they are given 'enrichment' items, like squeaky toys, things they can climb and play with, etc.