Torn Acl

ponder85

Troy hasn't been putting weight on one of his bag legs for probably 6 weeks now.  Finally took him to the vet.  His ACL is torn.  Anyone else been through this?  They're quoting $1800 for surgery.  There are other "treatment" options, but I don't think they actually fix his ACL.

No sorry.

Poor Troy. :(

Let's hope there's some more affordable treatments out there for you. 

ouch - do you not have pet insurance? (This is exactly why I got the pet insurance in the first place - I would HATE not being able to treat something!)

There are different kinds of treatments for torn ACLs - some more cheaper (bandaid solutions) than others...make sure you know which treatment your getting, what its success rates are, if it is a permanent solution or just temporary, etc. 

If you have a university nearby that has vet students, you might be able to get her in there...they'll operate on her and teach the students at the same time. Heard of somebody who got their lab in who had to have an expensive surgery like that...he only had to pay half of what his actual vet quoted him...but the waiting list was long, like months. I don't think Troy can/should wait that long...

Update:

He's scheduled to be admitted tomorrow evening and we get him back the following day (Friday).  Hopefully it takes care of his issues.  He's taving a procedure called a TTA done.  Should (hopefully) be a longterm fix.  I'll report the results back.

Update:

He's scheduled to be admitted tomorrow evening and we get him back the following day (Friday).  Hopefully it takes care of his issues.  He's taving a procedure called a TTA done.  Should (hopefully) be a longterm fix.  I'll report the results back.

Well - THAT'S why its expensive! It's the most effective/best surgery one can get for a dog with ACL/CCL tears, and with the least complications. 

http://ttasurgery.com/

Well - THAT'S why its expensive! It's the most effective/best surgery one can get for a dog with ACL/CCL tears, and with the least complications. 

http://ttasurgery.com/

Yeah, that or the TPLO procedure are the two best options. Either one seems like a really good procedure. The scary thing is 30-50% of dogs who tear one ACL end up tearing the other within two years. Crossing our fingers on that one, cause I don't think we can spend another $1800 after just spending that much.