Prey Drive?

LittleLuka

Well i remember this topic being started a long time ago and i proudly boasted that Luka has never killed anything but a bug.

Obviously I spoke too soon. The other weekend he somehow caught a bird and broke it's wings... the poor thing was hopping around the yard (because he couldn't fly) as Luka was terrorizing it. I called Luka in and tried to decide what to do. I don't particularly want a dead bird lying around my yard so I had to send Josh to dispose of it.

Needless to say, he was pretty smug about it. I think it was an ego booster for him. hahah

Anyone's husky had their prey drive kick in?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's particularly a lot of rabbits in my area. 

Panda is always sniffing and tracking them. He's almost one time caught a baby rabbit and he suddenly lunged into these small bushes and i happened to see 4 little bunnies run away.

He catches mosquitoes at night as well as crickets (He does the whole jump in the air and land with his 2 front paws things) lol.

He has not managed to kill anything yet as i'm always looking out for small animals that i know he will try to go for. He also did make a grown rabbit run a few laps around the dog park until it managed to slip under the fence.

Three things will occur simultaneously.

1. Your Husky will master digging under the fence.

2. Your Neighbours will install a rabbit hutch in their garden.

3. Your Huskies prey drive arrives.

Small fast moving furry NOM. = prey drive.

Mine has a high prey drive - he's always on the lookout for animals to kill. Unfortunately, I've had to clean up after him quite a few times. But I've learned when he asks to go outside late at night, its not to pee/poo...he just wants to hunt. 

He doesn't bother with bugs, birds, etc. He only cares about birds when their wings are broken (can't fly away), or they are babies/just learning how to fly.

All of mine have very high prey drives.  Everytime we go for walks they go crazy at the sight of a bird, squirrel, rabbit, cat or any other little creature!  However they have yet to kill anything besides bugs.  I think it is because the only time they are loose is the back patio.  Given the chance they would probably succeed!

Not too sure if monster's prey drive has kicked in. He looks longingly at any cats we encounter on walkies and always tells them off when they walk along our back fence. But I seriously think he wouldn't know what to do with himself if he actually caught one. He was all cocky where horses were concerned until one came poking it's head over the fence at us one morning. I thought he was going to die of heart failure :S He doesn't seem to be bothered by the birds that pop into the garden so far. Maybe he's broken?

Myshka and Kaviq are murder for prey, Diesel will chase as long as it's within 20 paces (he has caught a squirrel on the ground hiding in bushes in the past). Foster boy Logan hasn't really had the opportunity to dazzle us with his prey drive, though he did show an unhealthy interest in sheep on a walk at camp!

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk HD

Sophie didn't have much of a prey drive but then we got Kay who has a crazy high prey drive....Every-time Kay goes outside she goes in a full sprint hunting, now Maya and Sophie do the same thing. Sophie used to be good with the cats but now she isn't if she's with the others and they're in the dog zone. Kay has killed two opossums, one small that my dad had to put out of it's misery because i got it from Kay before she ate it and one big one. Then she killed a bird that her and Maya got into a small fight over. They also killed a small ground hog too.

Neb has high prey drive and his killed stuff, it's why I keep him on leash, and he is not allowed to interact with the rabbits.  We do have cats, and every now and then he starts to chase after them, but he's been exposed to them since he was a puppy and he's pretty good with them (the rabbits were kept separate when he was young, though I doubt even with early exposure that he'd be safe with them).

He's always got his nose to the ground tracking scents. 

Still waiting. Ice likes to give chase to people or animals running but makes no attempt to catch anythiing, he just likes to run along behind smiling. Step one of prey drive? He's almost 2 years old, it's gotta kick In sometime, even my staffy has a higher prey drive right now. She loves to chase squirrels up a tree.

Bear is another one who's not shown much of a prey drive, she'd rather chase after people or other dogs given the chance (which I don't!). She's 2 in a weeks time, so we'll see soon enough, I'm sure.

I rehomed Mishka when she was about 10 months old and by then her prey drive had already kicked in, first night home she went for the hamster, she goes absolutely mental for squirels, ducks and cats we see on walks, even butterflies and flies she does crazy flips in the air to catch them aha, she hasn't managed to kill anything yet (touch wood) as I'm always on the look out for anything, apart from some insects and spiders (yeah no stopping her on that one, more like MY HERO ahah)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

My Bo never had much of a prey drive, but he did consume our parakeet one day while I was gone (left the tailfeather laying in the middle of the floor so I would know it didn't escape).

And at the ripe old age of 14, he chased a baby robin and caught it........much to my (and HIS) surprise! He was pretty proud of his old self.

Rynnie keeps her nose to the ground on walks and has caught a couple shrews. Thankfully, she has a soft mouth and they both lived to tell the tale.

It's Tunes that has a rather high prey drive at our house. She's fine with the cat (loves a good game of chase), but is constantly on the lookout for rabbits and such in the dog yard or on walks.

Zara has managed to kill a bird, she barks a lot when rabbits run past the fence and at sunrise/sunset when the sheep across the road start baaaa-ing. However when we walk past sheep she seems more curious and playful rather than 'stalking'.

When she was 5 months old my OH let her off leash without realising some sheep were out of their paddock down the road. She started rounding them up and chasing them down the road, towards the main road where heaps of grain trucks were driving past. Thankfully the smart sheep ran into a driveway, but for a few minutes my heart was in my throat!! It was awful, don't think I've ever run so fast in my life! I guess the positive is she was just playing, she didn't try to nip at the sheep or anything.

Neo has always had a high prey kill drive .... field mice ,birds if he can catch them , next doors kitten last week.... it wandered into our garden then our house... jumped out of the kitchen window into the awaiting Neo`s jaws ... to be fair he did drop it when told to but alas the damage was already done ... rip little kitten....

Neo has always had a high prey kill drive .... field mice ,birds if he can catch them , next doors kitten last week.... it wandered into our garden then our house... jumped out of the kitchen window into the awaiting Neo`s jaws ... to be fair he did drop it when told to but alas the damage was already done ... rip little kitten....

Aww were your neighbours ok with you?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Both of mine have high prey drives though Skye more so than Shadow (so even if you have a husky cross does NOT mean they wont have one hers is alot higher than shadow who is full sibe!) 

Shadow has caught birds, and a rabbit though he does not eat them he guards them.

Skye has caught and eaten many Rabbits.

They are both very interested in all the ducks on the canal and the swans... i reckon shadow would kill a sheep if he was off lead near sheep (which he wont ever be) and Skye likes to herd them but i am not 100 percent sure if she would kill them also... 

Prey drive is genetic and it's something that is always there, we can test pups for it from early on to determine how much prey drive they have. If we get a pup with some prey drive and do nothing with it, it will start experimenting to find out how to satisfy its drive.

Prey drive is genetic and it's something that is always there, we can test pups for it from early on to determine how much prey drive they have. If we get a pup with some prey drive and do nothing with it, it will start experimenting to find out how to satisfy its drive.

We get Kodiak stuffed toys..... Needless to say they aren't stuffed for long..... I'm guessing that's how he satisfies his prey drive!!!

Nikko's favorite thing to do is pull all of the stuffing out of the toys.  They usually last about a minute. 

I don't get them often because Yukon is usually right behind him to eat it all :unsure:

Do Huskies kill by shaking?  That's how Neb kills, and one reason why suspect daddy was a terrier...but I've always wondered if that's how Huskies do it too.  

Shadow killed a rabbit by quickly shaking it which broke its neck it was a very very fast kill so in one way it was nice to know the rabbit died quickly