Weight Pull Event :( (Rant)

Bambi92

So annoyed there's a weight pull training day on tomorrow not even 5mins (drive) from my house and I can't take Sasha to have a look at what they do.

I could walk there but walking Sasha across a busy main road with cars/trucks doing more than 80km/h isn't such a good idea being that I can't run at this present time and its been raining non stop for over a week now really wish I had my licence (I've had my learners permit for 5years now just haven't gone and done the next test haha)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Does anyone do weight pull? Or been to an event where they do it? And what's your opinion on it good or bad for the dog?

I know it's popular subsection of the sledding / pulling sports.

Pulling and trying to move trucks and other large vehicles. . . hmmmm no :(

But I'm with Linda.

I Think that kind of strain will lead to early hip and back problems etc.

(Please fee free to correct me if I'm talking out of my poop schute :))

Nope and dont think i ever would put mine into anything like that huskies were bred to pull yes but they were actually bred to pull light weights at fast speeds its the malamutes that pulled the heavy weights at a slower speed.

I know it's popular subsection of the sledding / pulling sports.

Pulling and trying to move trucks and other large vehicles. . . hmmmm no :(

But I'm with Linda.

I Think that kind of strain will lead to early hip and back problems etc.

(Please fee free to correct me if I'm talking out of my poop schute :))

lol @ poop schute

There's no way I'd put Sasha in it. She's to lazy even if I wanted to do something like that with her lol

It was run by the states malamute club they have a lot of weight pull events throughout winter I'm not sure what they pull though they have different classes from what I can gather some just pull there owners on scooters and it goes up from there I think.

I wouldn't be game enough to connect Sasha to a scooter and let her pull me lol she has a bad habit of randomly running off to the side I'd end up flat on my face or in a pole or fence haha

I've seen Mals doing weight pulling, but never a husky...

Malamutes are bred to pull hefty loads over short distances, I've even seen one pull a car (not that I'd ever let Kodiak do that!!!!).

Agree with everyone else. Ive never heard of Huskies doing weight pulling.

But I know Mals do it...and I know one in my town is a retired weight puller. Hes 8yrs old now, but when he used to pull he maxed out at 2300lbs! If using the proper weight pulling harness I don't think it will lead to bad hips or any other problems.

Agree with everyone else. Ive never heard of Huskies doing weight pulling.But I know Mals do it...and I know one in my town is a retired weight puller. Hes 8yrs old now, but when he used to pull he maxed out at 2300lbs! If using the proper weight pulling harness I don't think it will lead to bad hips or any other problems.

Wow that's a lot of weight for a dog to pull I couldnt do that to a dog even if they were built/trained to do it safely.

Wow that's a lot of weight for a dog to pull I couldnt do that to a dog even if they were built/trained to do it safely.

This was a video on YouTube. The Mal was about the same size as Kodiak, but the car didn't have an engine in it...

I weight pull with two of my Siberians, Denali and Dakota.  We started Dakota last year at 9 years old so he'll age out, but hopefully he'll get his WD title first.  He has maxed out at 850lbs.  The Siberian that we compete against maxed out at 1120lbs.  So we are out there doing it!580414_458896090845291_2072600597_n.jpg

I weight pull with two of my Siberians, Denali and Dakota.  We started Dakota last year at 9 years old so he'll age out, but hopefully he'll get his WD title first.  He has maxed out at 850lbs.  The Siberian that we compete against maxed out at 1120lbs.  So we are out there doing it!580414_458896090845291_2072600597_n.jpg

Does it hurt them in any way? How far do they pull the cart thing? It's amazing how much weight they can pull

I'm of the personal opinion that dogs shouldn't pull that much weight regardless. Yes, Sibes and Mals were bred to pull...but they were bred to pull as a team, so all that weight is spread out over 6 or so dogs. 

And, having a husky who developed arthritis at 4 years old, I'm naturally very concerned about the effects these kind of events will have on the dogs, regardless if they are properly conditioned or not...it must still be a strain on their joints!?

Gunner (our younger boy) has Hip Dysplasia. So we too know about bad joints. We used to have our two pull sled, but once we noticed Gunner was walking weird, and had him x-rayed to be certain, that all came to an end.

But the Mal we know that is a retired weight puller, has no problems with his hips/joints. So I gotta wonder if over time while training the dog (if they don't already have joint problems), their joints get more condition to it. Kind of like how fighters condition their bones to be able to take/deliver more punishment without fracturing or breaking.

I don't know, I don't do it lol. But so many people weight pull their dogs I cant imagine every one of the dogs end up having issues. I love seeing working breeds working. I wish we could still pull sleds with ours. So Huskymom09, I find it awesome you do that with 2 of yours!

Does it hurt them in any way? How far do they pull the cart thing? It's amazing how much weight they can pull

The distance is 15 feet on a wheeled cart, so the friction resistance is minimized, once the cart is moving the job is a lot less.  And in my personal experience and thought on the matter that hip problems are hereditary and poorly formed hips take away from the function of a working dog.  A properly bred dog built for working will not be affected by work, especially work designed for the breed.  This sport was developed by mushers with their Siberians and malamutes.  Zapper, our regional weight pull champion and WDS (working dog superior), has pulled 1120lbs or near many times and still OFA's good (the same as it was when he started) without a single issue in his structure, joints, or anything else.

The changes I have seen in Dakota since starting weight pulling are he is more energetic, he's more enthusiastic, and acts all around a younger dog.  I am so happy we have found something that Dakota literally puts his heart into.

The distance is 15 feet on a wheeled cart, so the friction resistance is minimized, once the cart is moving the job is a lot less.  And in my personal experience and thought on the matter that hip problems are hereditary and poorly formed hips take away from the function of a working dog.  A properly bred dog built for working will not be affected by work, especially work designed for the breed.  This sport was developed by mushers with their Siberians and malamutes.  Zapper, our regional weight pull champion and WDS (working dog superior), has pulled 1120lbs or near many times and still OFA's good (the same as it was when he started) without a single issue in his structure, joints, or anything else.

The changes I have seen in Dakota since starting weight pulling are he is more energetic, he's more enthusiastic, and acts all around a younger dog.  I am so happy we have found something that Dakota literally puts his heart into.

Huh - interesting....thanks for the info. :)

Hip problems don't always have to be hereditary, though? My Dad is suffering from arthritis in his spine (and everywhere else), because as a teenager he overworked at construction (pulling, pushing, lifting, etc). So to say that problems only develop as a result of poor breeding is short sighted, in my opinion. Though I may be comparing apples to oranges here, I've never worked my dog (arthritis problems), so I don't know if it can cause long-term problems. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. :)

I'm glad to hear Dakota is doing something he loves - I always look forward to pictures/videos you post up of your pups pulling. 

Huh - interesting....thanks for the info. :)

Hip problems don't always have to be hereditary, though? My Dad is suffering from arthritis in his spine (and everywhere else), because as a teenager he overworked at construction (pulling, pushing, lifting, etc). So to say that problems only develop as a result of poor breeding is short sighted, in my opinion. Though I may be comparing apples to oranges here, I've never worked my dog (arthritis problems), so I don't know if it can cause long-term problems. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. :)

I'm glad to hear Dakota is doing something he loves - I always look forward to pictures/videos you post up of your pups pulling. 

I think it's a bit unfair to compare dogs specifically and purposefully bred to work to humans who really don't put any thought into selective breeding :P. As we know, good breeders actively seek to eliminate genetic weaknesses/diseases from the breeds.. can't really say I've seen any humans do that.

That said I would think there's a possibility of injury in any active sport - I see plenty "dog chiropractors" at big agility events and such, and even people with well bred dogs will have them on diet supplements like extra glucosamine for joint health. Also, age affects everything (not calling your parents old or anything! lol)

That's pretty cool. Its amazing that being 9 years old Dakota has a new lease to life so to speak and enjoys doing it :)

Thanks for the info about it.

I agree it is completely unfair and unrelated to compare working dogs to humans- my comment was specifically for working dogs and the fact that a properly bred set of hips won't suffer the consequences of breaking down as an improper set of hips will.  To fully understand this an understanding how hips are designed is needed.  Given that Zapper has been pulling for just over 2 years and I know dogs involved in the sport that started at 2 and aged out (10yrs) that have not had any long lasting side effects of pulling in harness I'd have to say our experience has been nothing but a positive one and one that doesn't seem to have a negative impact on the dog- Just my two cents.  My dogs love it and my senior guy has never had more vigor.