Crate Options

Jay

For those of you who crate their dogs, I was wondering what kind you all use? 

Right now Nikko and Yukon have the wire crate like the first picture.  Nikko’s crate is 48x30x35 (122x76x89).  When I got Kodiak the rescue suggested using the airline style crate like the second picture which is 40x27x30 (102x69x76).  I had problems with Kodiak escaping, or trying to escape, which I solved by putting reusable zip ties to the door so he can’t get out.   I put Kodiak in Nikko’s crate once and he destroyed the plastic floor pan in his crate and I had to replace it.

However, I think that the crate is too small for Kodiak, and I am thinking of getting Nikko a new crate, buying a metal floor plan for Nikko’s old crate and putting Kodiak in there.  I don’t know whether I would be just wasting my money though. 

Kodiak’s a pretty big boy, but I know that they don’t need a ton of room, but I am afraid he is too cramped and can’t spread out, he can only curl up inside there.  He only goes in there when I am gone and every time I come back he is standing up  (as much as he can).  Any thoughts?

post-7184-0-13207300-1372431011.jpg

post-7184-0-97176200-1372431015.jpg

i use a 42x28 for Luka and Knox. Bexley also fit in that size (he's around 65 lbs) and he's larger than Luka. However, I don't bother crating him because he always broke out and he's non destructive.

Luka's crate is zip tied but i think i'm going to have to buy a new one because it's rusting from being rinsed out so many times i guess. It's kinda lame how much they cost and they are so cheaply  made!

ugh, they are expensive!  I was able to find one on amazon that was about the same size as Nikko's for like 75 dollars, but at the store they want like 150+ for it :o

Kodi's carrier was almost 150 and he ruined it within 2 weeks :(  But I was able to return it to PetSmart claiming it was "defective" and they let me exchange it lol.  don't think that would work again tho

The one Nikko has now is very sturdy and well made, but I got it from a friend that had it for years...when they actually made stuff to last!

ugh, they are expensive!  I was able to find one on amazon that was about the same size as Nikko's for like 75 dollars, but at the store they want like 150+ for it :o

Kodi's carrier was almost 150 and he ruined it within 2 weeks :(  But I was able to return it to PetSmart claiming it was "defective" and they let me exchange it lol.  don't think that would work again tho

The one Nikko has now is very sturdy and well made, but I got it from a friend that had it for years...when they actually made stuff to last!

i borrowed one from a friend for when Knox was small and it was MUCH better quality... unfortunately i think it was older as well and i don't know how to find it. i've looked everywhere. mine are all the brand "icrate" and they all are flimsy and cheap

Timber can be trusted out now that he's 11 but Sasha.... "forgetaboutit" she is a wild child, walks the tops of couches like a cat & perches on the patio table for better views. She gets the cage! lol  I use the one you picutered at the bottoom (all metal) I can't give her any kind of bedding inside to help make her "Highness" more comfortable because she thinks it's nesting material and she shreds it all to a pulp :)  It's huge on her though. I thought she was going to grow much larger then she did but she loves it. She sleeps sprawled out, stretching the length of the cage, on her back with her butt all the way up against the wall part of it. She is soo funny when she does that, It's like she's looking for a breeze to cool her (twat) <--can I say that? or is that too rated R here? 

post-10606-0-95261500-1372437433.jpgpost-10606-0-81776900-1372437441.jpgpost-10606-0-07221500-1372437449.jpg