To Breed Or Not

huskywolfdog

Now i know many of you will have many different views on this but i just wanna see what every one thinks,??? :bouncy:

I would love to breed rogue for the breed of a Siberian husky if that sounds right basically as people say not for money but to better to the breed. Rogues just coming off her season and i think to breed her would be good as she has a lovely temperament and a very caring side to her. But then i don't want her character to change once she has puppies. What to do ??? :confused:

post-9643-0-87112200-1372543936_thumb.jp

To be honest I'm against breeding dogs that aren't ''top quality'' and fully health checked (hips, eyes), I'd expect them to have proven themselves in the show ring and really have the potential of improving the breed, mainly health wise.

And that goes for both parents.

Not saying your girl isn't, but personally I think breeding should be restricted to ''approved'' dogs.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

The link Nix posted is very good reference.

Regardless of the dangers - I would not breed her. Too many costs, and there are too many dogs in the world already...

Sutsibe is a breeder on here, she will be able to tell you more. 

Personally speaking ... if you don`t show or race Rogue then i would not breed her .. as you say breeding is not for the money but for the breed .... like i say personally i wouldn`t ..but she`s YOUR dog so the choice is yours .... whatever anybody else may think ... 

I can't say that I'm against it and I can't say that I'm for it..I did it..it's a lot of hard time, work, and money...got to have a vet that you can call at all hours..even 3AM in the morning in case complications arise..like one of my pups got stuck and I had to turn it..I did checkups with my vet during the pregnancy to make sure all was going well and the number of pups to expect..also homes..we do applications to find homes also home inspections and we start that as soon as we know she's pregnant..you got to be prepared for returns..5 months old 1 year old 5 years old..doesn't matter..we had a 3 1/2 year old brought back because the couple split..and it was hard finding her a home at that age..judge people make sure they are how you are with your pups..I had one lady put on her application that the pup HAD to be mostly black and HAD to have both blue eyes and didn't allow me to do a home visit..and she didn't get called for an application approval either..plus you got to be prepared for if you sell to another breeder because then they need all the dogs vet records plus the parents vet records which gets costly....plus large litter sizes are very costly..my last two litters had 8 pups..one with all girls and the other with 6 boys 2 girls...and puppy proof your home first lol or youll pay alot of money for repairs..they chew on walls floor and suprisingly can mess a cage up at 8 weeks old..I'd just advise to do tons of reading before you do which you seem smart so that shouldn't be a problem..Wish you luck :) it's fun I enjoy it but am out of it now. Had my last litter in March. Hope it kinda helps! Someone else may have way better information.

Another thing to look at is how many are actually in rescue aswell because people breed them sell them n then along the lines the owners don't realise how hard they can be and then get rid ov them - unfortunately huskies are becoming the new staffies in terms of how many are now in rescue

Back when we got Myshka, there weren't many huskies around as pets. We met up with a very experienced musher who said he would like to breed her with one of his pack, he would do all the hard work in having her when she was due to have the pups, he would keep all the pups for his racing lines, we would have to do nothing. We could have pick of the litter if we wanted one - we didn't have to do a thing. Myshka is KC registered etc. We decided not to do it for a few reasons, and looking at the number of dogs, especially huskies in rescue now, I'm glad we didn't, even though every one of the pups would have had a great working life with this guy.

But this is your dog and only you can make the decision about this.

You've been given a lot of great advice. At the end of the day it's your dog and your decision.

I personally won't breed as I work with a husky rescue and the amount of pure bred dogs we get is ridiculous. Not to mention we constantly have breeders trying to dump their puppies that they couldn't sell off on us.

Not to say there arent responsible breeders because there are or we wouldn't have this amazing breed.

Good luck on whatever you choose

I think breeding a husky would be a marvelous experience, BUT personally would never breed Mia as I wouldn't be able to part with the pups without 100% certainty that the pups are going to forever homes and unfortunately nothing is 100% To date Mia's breeder has had 4 dogs from his last 2 litters returned! He is a fab individual who cross examined us before allowing us to have Mia, he also remains in touch and visits to check we are doing well :-) There are just a ridiculous amount of dogs in rescue needing new homes. We are Teo's 3rd home and cannot understand how or why he has been passed about he is so chilled out with only a few bad habits, but nothing which we are unable to manage. I really think his previous owners just didn't know what they were letting themselves in for and as a result were unable to manage the coat blowing, fence jumping, food stealing, noisy pup that he is :(

As everyone else has said its your dog and your choice, but give serious consideration to the number of dogs currently in rescue at the moment before you make a decision as the thought of a future pup of your own ending up in one and how that would make you feel as although someone may seem like the perfect prospective husky owner you dont know how their situation could change or if they really can deal with the reality of owning this amazing breed x

Breeding dogs is best left to professionals who know and understand the genetics, health, and temperment issues.  I was simply amazed, talking to the breeder we acquired Zoya from, how involved she was to ensure that not only her pups would be healthy and hearty, but that the new caretakers would be worthy.  It's not something to take on a whim by any means.  It is darn serious.

I agree with most that I would never breed mine (can't anyway because they are fixed), but people have asked if I am going to breed them because they are are so cute.  It's so much more than that, and from my experience with Yukon's breeder, I would rather focus on rescues.  There are way too many dogs out there that need homes.  Anyway, in the end it's your decision but my vote would be no.

I was provided with full rights when I purchased Ryn. The first thing I did was to have her spayed. Several reasons why ----- I don't have the knowledge. Despite the fact that Ryn is a perfect husky (in her mommy's eyes) doesn't mean that she has the right stuff to pass down to a litter. I don't have the financial resources to care for puppies that I would be obligated to for the rest of their lives; I am unwilling to risk my girls' life; I don't have financial resources for emergency c-section.

The list goes on and on.

your husky and your decision. But think it through. Do you have a mentor? Talk it over with them. Ask to follow a bitch from conception to the eight week old mark. Watch the time and effort they put into the litter. Be "on-call" so you really get a feel for what can happen. 

Elka's breeders did a one off breeding for the experience. There were six puppies in all and they have been left with two seven month old males they are struggling to find homes for. They have been quite strict with who they have aloud to have the puppies and i have heard endless stories from them about the awful people who have turned up to look at the puppies and the time wasters. 

So part of the decision should include how you will feel selling the puppies and what you would do if they didn't sell. Elka's breeders have told me they have regretted breeding their female as she has lost weight and condition. I of course am glad they did!

Before you even  begin to seriously consider breeding as an option, I'd personally recommend that you talk to existing breeders and maybe even help out at rescue places to get a first hand experience of the day to day realities.  We all think that our dogs are wonderful (and of course they are), and therefore would make fantastic parents but we're viewing them through our own loving eyes rather than the shrewd eyes of an experienced and educated breeder's.  If it's something you seriously intend to do, then get as much hands on experience and knowledge from existing professionals as you can.  Get trained up from the best and then be better.  :)

Beyond her parents being health tested, you need the results, and that of her grandparents, and HER results. Breeding is very expensive and should be done for the betterment of the breed. There are a lot of sweet sibes so I wouldn't take a good personality into the equation. Traits I would take into consideration? Does she have a willingness to pull? Is she willing to work well in teams? Does she have serious issues that may be genetic.  You have to take a serious look at your dog. What is wrong with her structure. Will this body type represent the original chukotka sled dogs? If you decide that after this point she does have something to contribute, Take a look at the male and ask the same questtions.

Also you have to consider that you are responsible for every puppy you produce. Even when they are 15 years old, you should keep in touch with their owners and should it be needed, to take them back. This is one of my favorite links to breeder ethics.
http://www.dogplay.com/Breeding/ethics.html

A bitch who is not shown or raced can still be a good breeding bitch, they can have excellent hip, elbow, eye scores, breeding, conformation, temperment etc however some bitches (dogs included) just plain don't like showing or racing, but it doesn't make them any less a quality bitch.

If you have valid reasons to breed then I don't see a major issue with it.

Are you a registered breeder?

Good luck :)

If you are thinking of breeding your dog/bitch, these are some of the things you need to think about:

1. How do you know your dog/bitch is good enough to breed from?

In order to ensure that the breed retains the qualities which make it what it is, any dogs bred from need to be as close to the breed standard as possible.  How do you know if your dog is good enough? The best way of ascertaining this is to both show and work your dog(s). Success in the show ring under knowledgeable judges will indicate that your dog is of good quality. You should look to achieve at least a Kennel Club Stud Book Number as an indication of quality as assessed in the showring. On the trail, you should ascertain whether your dog retains the breed's love for working in harness. Without some degree of show success and the ability and willingness to work effectively in harness, dogs are unlikely to be good enough to breed from.

2. Is your dog Kennel Club Registered?

Although KC registration is not a guarantee of quality, the lack of KC registration is usually an indication of poor quality commercial breeding. KC registration is at least a strong indication that the pedigree of your dog is accurate and honest. This will help in checking the health records of your dog's ancestors. Without KC registration, this will be impossible.

3. Have the appropriate health tests been carried out on your dog/bitch?

If your dog is KC registered and has proved its quality in the showring and on the trail, has it had the appropriate health tests for the breed and satisfactory results achieved?

Hip Dysplacia is not a major problem within the breed although, of course it does occur very occasionally, and the way this situation can be maintained and improved is by every breeder hip-scoring his/her dogs under the BVA scheme. The current breed average hip score is 7. No ethical breeder would breed from a dog whose hip score was in double figures or where the scores of dog and bitch added together came to more than 20. 

Eye Problems - again, these are not common within the breed, but, unfortunately are not unknown. There is some mild disagreement about which eye tests are necessary for Siberians in the UK , but both of the UK breed clubs and SHWA(UK) agree that sibes should be tested for both Primary Glaucoma and Hereditary Cataracts. Other conditions for which testing is recommended are PRA (Progressive Retinal Atrophy), PPM (Persistent Pupillary Membrane) and CD (Corneal Dystrophy).

It is not enough to ensure that your dog and its prospective mate have good hips and clear eye tests. You also need to look back several generations to make sure that you have four or five generations all clear of issues. Eye problems in particular can sometimes skip generations and suddenly reappear in the litters of dogs with clear eye tests. It is crucial that earlier generations are also clear.

4. Can you afford to have a litter?

Although commercially minded breeders regard breeding as a money-making enterprise, the reality is that if things go wrong, you could end up losing thousands on a litter. If for example the mother needs a caesarian and as a result rejects the pups so that you have to spend 2 weeks or more handfeeding them every couple of hours 24/7, it is going to cost you a bomb in vet fees, puppy milk, baby bottles and probably in terms of time lost from work. 

5. Do you have a waiting list?

The puppy farmers, backyard breeders and naive/stupid/greedy "pet" breeders are finding it more and more difficult to sell their pups in our current financial climate. Before you even think of breeding, you should ensure that you have homes waiting for any of the pups that you are not going to keep.

6. Taking Back Your Breeding

Even when you have sold your pups to the best possible homes, disasters can happen and people sometimes find it impossible to keep their dog(s). Are you in a position to take back any dogs which have been bred by you at any time in the future, no matter what age they are? Ethical, responsible breeders will always do this.

These are just some of the factors you need to think about before breeding your dog.