What Are You Feeding The Huskies

Matthewj

Loki is now nearly 7 months and has had terrible problems with food ,he will be ill for a couple of days if anyone feeds him something he doesn't usually have we have had to change his food to a meat and rice with no added wheat and jerky for snacks/treats ...we have recently been told about the raw meat diet and are just wondering if anyone else feeds their dogs this and if so what?

Have a look in this section.

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/forum/48-food-diet/

There are many really good threads in here about

RAW, BARF and Mixed food feeding regimes.

Personally

My guys get a mix of kibble Tinned and Rice.

and a couple of times per week they will get Raw Chicken wings.

Huskies are notorious for having sensitive stomachs, and if you change from one type of food

(even switching between different kibbles) you should do a slow and gradual swap.

ahh thank you didnt see that thread before ,will get reading ,thanks for the diet info your dogs are beautiful :)

You're welcome. :) . . and, Thank you I think so too. :yahoo:

I feed mine Taste of the Wild - its a kind of kibble (grain-free ... husky stomachs are known to be sensitive to grains). I've tried the raw diet, and besides the fact it was very expensive, my boy's stomach couldn't handle it. 

I feed both of mine raw as well. It's a little more expensive than kibble but if you find the right supplier you can get it at a fairly decent price as well.

Panda has a sensitive stomach as well, littlest of things can give him the runs. But he has done very well on raw.

I don't do raw with Balto as most of the suppliers where I live are ridiculously expensive!!! However, Balto also can stomach anything raw or people food, even on chicken and rice he gets the runs that is terrible like mucosy and just gross. So we feed taste of the wild kibble as that is what he likes and we have had solid poops!!! Trust me until you have a husky with a sensitive stomach you have no idea how awesome solid poop is. We also go through a local pet store that is all about dogs health and they gave us a list of things to avoid and things to look for in dog food, so here they are.

LOOK FOR THESE LISTED BELOW

• Clearly named meat or fish - chicken, lamb, beef, salmon
  • Concentrated named meat proteins - chicken meal, turkey meal
  • Whole grains and starches - brown rice, barley, sweet potatoes
  • Fresh fruits and vegetables - whole potatoes, carrots, apples
  • Named fats from quality sources - chicken fat, herring oil, sunflower oil
  • Natural preservatives - mixed tocopherols, vitamin C or E

AVOID THESE LISTED BELOW

• Non-specific ingredients - poultry by-products, meat and bone meal
  • Protein fillers - corn gluten, wheat gluten, egg product meal
  • Carbohydrate overload - refined flours, wheat, mill runs
  • Processed fruits and vegetables - tomato pomace, dehydrated potatoes
  • Fats from non-specific sources - poultry fat, animal fat, vegetable oil
  • Artificial preservatives - BHA & BHT

The things that are listed in the avoid section are usually things that huskies are very sensitive too, and this doesn't apply just to huskies but all dogs as well.

Some of the types of kibble brands that meet these requirements are taste of the wild in any flavor, Acanna, fromm, Orijen, Evo, Innova, and California Natural. However, if you are going to switch to a different kibble don't just stop cold turkey, Give 90% food and 10% new food one day and slowly decrease old food and increase new food until it is all new food. It can take anywhere from 7-14 days to do it and it won't be such a huge rush on the tummy.

I feed mine Taste of the Wild as well and have had no problems since switching them.

Jason, I'm wondering.., I was in our local pet-smart over the weekend. One of their top brands they carry is "Blue" aka Blue Wilderness.  I thought I remembered reading some here recommending this brand. Do you know of any extra information about this brand/food? How does it compare to Taste?  and ohhh, I found right here in crown point a new designer dog/cat food store.  It's in the strip complex, the Point. It's called Canine Affinity.  I'm not sure his prices are comparable to Alsips' but he has only the top brands of dog foods. He's also recommending me a Brand called " SignitureZ"  It's no grain or potato.  Have you heard anything about this brand?  This might be a solution for Timbers Stones and I wouldn't have to buy 2 different brands of food. Waiting on my vet to let me know if any other food is an option other then that prescription U/D. Thought maybe you'd like to know about this place and that this Wednesday is going to be a huge sale for Customer appreciation day....   :)

Jason, I'm wondering.., I was in our local pet-smart over the weekend. One of their top brands they carry is "Blue" aka Blue Wilderness.  I thought I remembered reading some here recommending this brand. Do you know of any extra information about this brand/food? How does it compare to Taste?  and ohhh, I found right here in crown point a new designer dog/cat food store.  It's in the strip complex, the Point. It's called Canine Affinity.  I'm not sure his prices are comparable to Alsips' but he has only the top brands of dog foods. He's also recommending me a Brand called " SignitureZ"  It's no grain or potato.  Have you heard anything about this brand?  This might be a solution for Timbers Stones and I wouldn't have to buy 2 different brands of food. Waiting on my vet to let me know if any other food is an option other then that prescription U/D. Thought maybe you'd like to know about this place and that this Wednesday is going to be a huge sale for Customer appreciation day....   :)

As someone who has fed both Blue Buffalo and Taste of the Wild to two different dogs (an American Eskimo and a Siberian Husky) I would recommend Taste of the Wild. Blue Buffalo gave them runny stools, dull coats, and horrible eye boogers. I thought the runny stools was from the switch so I tried to stay on it for two months and after the second month I decided I needed to switch to something else. I also found out my female had a chicken allergy so that may have been why she had runny stools on Blue Buffalo wilderness, however my eskimo is not allergic to chicken and he had the same reaction. As soon as I decided to switch, the stools firmed up almost instantly even though the food was only 25% TOTW and still 75% BB as I was switching over slowly. After a couple weeks of being on TOTW their coats started looking better and I noticed neither of them had eye boogers anymore. It may be a 'how does your pup' do thing so I am not saying Blue Buffalo is a bad brand per say, I'm just giving you my experience of how my two dogs did on it versus another food. So you may want to get a small bag and try it out to see how your pup does first.

As someone who has fed both Blue Buffalo and Taste of the Wild to two different dogs (an American Eskimo and a Siberian Husky) I would recommend Taste of the Wild. Blue Buffalo gave them runny stools, dull coats, and horrible eye boogers. I thought the runny stools was from the switch so I tried to stay on it for two months and after the second month I decided I needed to switch to something else. I also found out my female had a chicken allergy so that may have been why she had runny stools on Blue Buffalo wilderness, however my eskimo is not allergic to chicken and he had the same reaction. As soon as I decided to switch, the stools firmed up almost instantly even though the food was only 25% TOTW and still 75% BB as I was switching over slowly. After a couple weeks of being on TOTW their coats started looking better and I noticed neither of them had eye boogers anymore. It may be a 'how does your pup' do thing so I am not saying Blue Buffalo is a bad brand per say, I'm just giving you my experience of how my two dogs did on it versus another food. So you may want to get a small bag and try it out to see how your pup does first.

Thank you Mobezilla  :)  This information really does help me decide.  I'm getting closer to the mixing stages and winding down my choices are eminent :}  plus I'm excited to get them both on foods, that at the very least will be better for them.  

I have head of Blue Buffalo and some people's dogs have done well on it.  What I would do is go to each of their websites and compare the ingredients and the nutrition information on each of them.  That dog food advisor site would be good too.  I have no desire to change from TOTW as all of mine do very well on it.  It may be harder to find but it ends up being cheaper than most.  

I have heard of Canine Affinity, there was a Pet Expo at the fairgrounds a few weeks ago and we got some free samples from them.  I also had a coupon for 6.00 off any bag of food too.  I have not been in their store, so I don't know how their prices compare to Alsip.

The best deal I ever got on TOTW was a couple weeks ago at Alsip when they have 8.00 off a bag of food...so I got a 30lb bag for $35!!

I have head of Blue Buffalo and some people's dogs have done well on it.  What I would do is go to each of their websites and compare the ingredients and the nutrition information on each of them.  That dog food advisor site would be good too.  I have no desire to change from TOTW as all of mine do very well on it.  It may be harder to find but it ends up being cheaper than most.  

I have heard of Canine Affinity, there was a Pet Expo at the fairgrounds a few weeks ago and we got some free samples from them.  I also had a coupon for 6.00 off any bag of food too.  I have not been in their store, so I don't know how their prices compare to Alsip.

The best deal I ever got on TOTW was a couple weeks ago at Alsip when they have 8.00 off a bag of food...so I got a 30lb bag for $35!!

Wow, that is a good deal and better priced than the "SignitureZ" at Canine Affinity. Off the top of my head, I think I was quoted $53 for Turkey & $56 for Salmon-Both grain free & potato free. He wanted to inform me of & up sell me for future buys once they've weened over to what ever new food I decided on, when ready, add buying Omega 3 fish oil $20, Probiotic Enzymes $25 & cans of pure pumpkin for $3.50. I forget which lasts for how long but I wanna think these were to be refilled every month or 2 depending on their weight.

Kinda sounds like they are just trying to make money...Whenever I changed foods I just did it gradually and added canned pumpkin that I bought at Meijer, which for a huge can it was like 2 bucks.  I am sure the 3.00 cans are the really small ones.  When I saw their booth at the expo it seemed like their products were over priced.

I don't add anything additional to their diets.  They get their kibble, and I will boil chicken and give them baby carrots too.  

Wow, that is a good deal and better priced than the "SignitureZ" at Canine Affinity. Off the top of my head, I think I was quoted $53 for Turkey & $56 for Salmon-Both grain free & potato free. He wanted to inform me of & up sell me for future buys once they've weened over to what ever new food I decided on, when ready, add buying Omega 3 fish oil $20, Probiotic Enzymes $25 & cans of pure pumpkin for $3.50. I forget which lasts for how long but I wanna think these were to be refilled every month or 2 depending on their weight.

I tried TOTW when Luka was a puppy, it gave him runny stools unless I barely fed him at all. I fed him Fromm until he was a year then i switched to Evo. Unfortunately, this year it was recalled and now i can't find it anywhere so I switched back to TOTW. He didn't like it and it didn't give him nice stools. So then i swtiched to Acana. He loves it and it's a good food.

TOTW is great for some, but not for others. just depends on your dog, this breed is so particular about their stomach!

thanks for all the info guys seems i am not the only one with a sensitive husky then i will look out for the TOTW food as like the above post Lokis poop is very runny most days and his coat has dulled its near on impossible to clean up when we take him out and he must feel awful ,anyway thanks again :)