Ugh More Fighting!!

Jay

As you know since adopting Kodiak there have been a few fights in the house.  I am not used to this as Nikko and Yukon play well together and have never gotten into a fight that I felt that I had to step in for. 

When I brought Kodiak home I didn't think about taking the toys away, and sure enough the first day there were 2 fights with Nikko over toys.  Even Kodiak and Yukon got into a fight, and Yukon gets along with EVERY dog!  After I put the toys up the fights went down and we were good again.  

Then yesterday I was feeding them carrots and Kodiak got into it with Nikko again, over a carrot!!  This time Nikko won as Kodi had a wound on his face.  Not bad enough to go to the vet but I was bleeding pretty good.  I know Nikko can be a little much, and very hyper, and older dogs are not as tolerant.  I still can't tell who starts it.  I blamed Kodiak but that's because he is the only change in the equation, but I think it is just both their personalities.  

But after the fight they forgave each other and Nikko was helping to lick Kodi's wound.  Glad they don't hold a grudge LOL

Actually, they all have to be in sit-stays for treats or they don't get anything.  The problem was that Nikko eats slow so there was an extra carrot on the floor by him.  Kodiak was sitting next to him and went to grab the carrot, and Nikko didn't like that and a fight broke out.  

Before it was with their bones.  Nikko would stop chewing on it for a second and Kodi would go after it.  There was even a fight because Kodiak and Nikko were looking out the window and one of them got too close to the other one. 

I would put them all in down stays if you're going to give them treats and then give them separately so there's no resource competition. 

yeah i don't give Luka, Bexley, and Knox treats around each other unless they're crated. Bexley resource guards and Luka and him will fight. I still haven't been able to add toys back in the equation but Bexley is officially leaving friday for his forever home and he's going to be the only dog so there's really no point now. haha

we had this for 2 years between darwin and echo.... tha smallest things would kick off a fight

we learned to just leave the room and let them get on with it..... once they have stopped and calmed down we would go in assess the damage and tidy up

if you are in the room your stress can keep the fight going for longer... also try and remove any non fighting dog

its scary and is draining to have to deal with it but it does get better

you can always pm myself or andy as we know exactly what you are going through

2 years on and echo and daughtry are the best of mates!!!

Awe!  Are you sad he's leaving :(  

It's probably going to be a lot easier though.  I bet Luka will be glad to be top dog again LOL

yeah i don't give Luka, Bexley, and Knox treats around each other unless they're crated. Bexley resource guards and Luka and him will fight. I still haven't been able to add toys back in the equation but Bexley is officially leaving friday for his forever home and he's going to be the only dog so there's really no point now. haha

Toys, food and people will always be triggers.

Especialy in the first few months.

You need to try to keep the toys and food as separate as you can during this period.

Once they've settled into a pack routine then it'll get better.

It's been 3 months and it has gotten better than it was at first.  For the most part they get along pretty well.  Nikko and Kodiak don't play much together, and if they do it is focused on Yukon.  It could be ALOT worse!  I have slowly re-introduced toys but only a few, and ONLY when I am in the room.  If I leave, the toys leave too.  And I try not to leave them alone together.  Slowly I am giving them more freedom.  

Like anything, it's usually two steps forward, one step back sometimes.  I know in time they will be best buds

Awe!  Are you sad he's leaving :(

It's probably going to be a lot easier though.  I bet Luka will be glad to be top dog again LOL

LOL he's still top dog now! Bexley and him have had it out multiple times now and Luka is always the one in charge. :facepalm:  he's seriously a spoiled brat. lol

I am sad to see him go but I do know he's going to be much happier in his new home being the only dog. He just wants someone to love on him and give him the attention he missed out on in the past. I can def. see that he isn't the right fit for our pack, i think we need a dog that is slightly younger to keep up with my two.

Oh, Yeah. . . thanks for reminding me. . .

I need to buy carrots for the monsters :up:

How old is he?  Kodi is really needy too.  He always wants to be petted or rubbed.  If you stop he will nudge you to remind you that your not done LOL 

And he is not as hyper so he has a low tolerance for Nikko's shenanigans.     

LOL he's still top dog now! Bexley and him have had it out multiple times now and Luka is always the one in charge. :facepalm:  he's seriously a spoiled brat. lol

I am sad to see him go but I do know he's going to be much happier in his new home being the only dog. He just wants someone to love on him and give him the attention he missed out on in the past. I can def. see that he isn't the right fit for our pack, i think we need a dog that is slightly younger to keep up with my two.

How old is he?  Kodi is really needy too.  He always wants to be petted or rubbed.  If you stop he will nudge you to remind you that your not done LOL 

And he is not as hyper so he has a low tolerance for Nikko's shenanigans.     

he's around 4 i think. He's not hyper at all, doesn't really want to play with the other two most of the time, and he also nudges you if you stop petting him! haha

he loves playing with toys though and he will be very happy being the only dog i think