Separation Anxiety

Skyesmum

Hi everyone,

I have a female husky Skye she is 20 months old and i have had her since she was 11 weeks. I live alone with Skye and rarely leave the house (just the ususal shopping trips, appointments etc).  She really objects to being left alone, she howls and more recently has started to open my cupboards and drags things out. I used to let her lay on my bed which worked fine for a while as she could watch for me returning through the window but then started digging up my bed to the point where she made a hole in the mattress. She is now not allowed in there!  I have had dogs in the past and never had this issue. Its driving me crazy, she is lovely in every other way, I can take her out, her recall is good, she does everything I tell her to (most of the time) this is the only issue I have.  I have been reading through the posts and see that a lot recommend crate training. This again is something I have never had to do but I am seriously thinking of trying it, even though I dont have much room to keep a crate permanantly.  Is she too old to start crate training at 20 months?  Any ideas would be appriciated

crate training is good at any age.

Have you got a secure garden ??

could you fit a dog flap so she can get in and out to do business and just have a run around.

Also stairgates to stop her getting into areas she shouldn't.

If you can't fit stairgates then you can get child lock fittings for cupboards and drawers.

As for the SA.

Try going out, wait a couple of minutes then go back.

repeat this as often as you have time, extending it by a couple of minutes each time.

So she gets used to you going out. . . but always coming back in.

Thanks for your reply, I have got a secure garden but dont like the idea of her coming and going, there have been quite a few dog thefts recently, even from secure gardens, just a few weeks ago a whole litter of puppies were stolen along with the kennel while the owners were out.  I am never gone long enough for her to need to go out, 2 hours is the maximum and that is very rare as if its going to be longer my daughter looks after her. She has long walks morning and evening so thats not the problem.  I have done the couple of minutes thing, she senses when im not far away and is fine.  I pop out most days to let my brothers dog out and am only gone for 15-20 mins but even that short time she is howling and crying.

Thanks for your reply, I have got a secure garden but dont like the idea of her coming and going, there have been quite a few dog thefts recently, even from secure gardens, just a few weeks ago a whole litter of puppies were stolen along with the kennel while the owners were out.  I am never gone long enough for her to need to go out, 2 hours is the maximum and that is very rare as if its going to be longer my daughter looks after her. She has long walks morning and evening so thats not the problem.  I have done the couple of minutes thing, she senses when im not far away and is fine.  I pop out most days to let my brothers dog out and am only gone for 15-20 mins but even that short time she is howling and crying.

Might sound silly but do you leave the TV/radio on? You could even record your own voice and have it playing see if works lol

Yes tried leaving the TV on for her, havent tried recording my voice though, may give that a try.  How big should a crate be in comparison to the dog?  Should they be able to move around in it?  She isnt  big dog so thinking perhaps medium would be ok