Maybe A Stupid Question But

valkyries

Can your employer force you to do some thing that you are dead against ???

We have a bar in the care home i work, it's only open on a Sunday. Now i don't drink i hate alcohol i guess i'm quite anti alcohol, i know nothing about it. I don't know one drink from the next, i have no idea of the amounts your supposed to give, but their making me do the bar  a week on Sunday.

I've spoken to my manager who tell's me i have to do it no matter how i feel, i told her it's like sending an atheist to church ffs i'm so not happy about this, surly you can't be made to do some thing you are against ????

You have process sheets on how to do every aspect of your job.

Ask for the process sheets on serving alcohol

Also ask for the Coshh sheets for EACH type of alcohol you have to serve.

So that in the event of a medical emergency involving the alcohol.

you can treat it correctly.

ALSO I'm sure some of your residents are going to be on medication, how are you supposed to know if

a) they are on medication.

B) is it safe to take medication and consume alcohol.

Can't help as I don't know laws in your area but in the US and specifically in Indiana there are certain things you can claim such as if it is against your religion but most things your employer can make you do unless it is against the law. The state I live in is very pro-employer

tell them the reason you don't drink Alcohol is that you are allergic to it.

Do they want you to go into anaphylactic shock at work and sue them for millions ????

Nice one Andy i'll ask for the cosh sheets, yes Dunc they sell the alcohol as for a license i have no idea 

Knowing your boss prob not  :o its gotta be displayed in the bar at all times if its not there its illegal for anyone to sell it :)

I know you can refuse to do it on the grounds of you do not want to deal with money !!!!

Dunc's right.

No license, don't do it.

If they give you a warning go to your union or solicitors

and explain that you got a written warning after thay asked you to

do something that was against the law.

Sue their ass !!!

oh i'll check and i'll take pic's to prove no license on display if it's not there, i'll ask for a coshh sheet for every drink in there and i want to know the side effects from each drink to every medication the resi's are on. 

it would be a shamble as i don't know measurements to give or what glass goes with want lol not my prob if all end up totally p*****d 

Don't forget if you do anything do it in writing...

If they give you a warning sit there and take it knowing you boss there will be no 24 hours notice given to you in writing and you also have you be given the right to have someone sit in with you without all these things in place no warning counts :) 

Can't help as I don't know laws in your area but in the US and specifically in Indiana there are certain things you can claim such as if it is against your religion but most things your employer can make you do unless it is against the law. The state I live in is very pro-employer

You got this right on the head Jason :) very pro employer & mostly republican run state, except here in Lake County that is ;} hahaha

I find it hard to believe that they'd make you do this not knowing the alcohol recipes. It's not the best solution but I think it would only take 1 Sunday of your time to become a heavy poorer of the 1 or 2 ounce recipes to include a larger amount then whats called for. This would cost your employer a "lot of money"....., But you'd have to be careful, not to get your patron too drunk, could cause a civil lawsuit to you or a DUI to the patron<-If they have those laws in place there.

What does your job description say? If working in a bar, serving customers and handling money is not in there they cannot ask you to do it and if you do it once they will then be in their rights to ask you to do it again x

Check for the displayed licence and if not present then you're within your rights to refuse as it's against the law.  Do you have a contract of employment and if so does it cover any additional duties that may cover this request?

You always have the option of being ill on the day they want you to run the bar

6436_cqc_carehome.pdf

Section 4 may be relevant at the home i work part time in only 1 resident has alcohol as they are not on medication then nothing stronger tgan shandy. Sounds like a money making exercise.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

well no license on show and so far no one know's any thing and no one has ever seen one, my manager still say's I've got to do the bar this Sunday. So i've just had a chat with my Union who are not best pleased, awaiting a call back to advice me