Things Happen, I Need Help!

linuxnik18

Hello All,

So yesterday I was sleeping in my room and my husky (oakley) was outside withe one of my roomamtes. He claims that he put Oakley outside to be away from the cats yet when I woke up that was not the case. I woke up to a screeching sound which was Oakley playing with this small cat yet Oakley played with it to death. It is very unfortunate and I put Oakley away immediately although I know things like this do happen. After this I gave Oakley a walk and woke up, put Oakley in his Crate and went to work. I got a call from a neighbor saying Oakley got out. I knew this had to do something with my roommate whose cat was killed so I asked him. He pretty much told me he did it without telling me and I kept speaking to him and he said well it must be since he is so good at opening doors. He told me this would be happening more often which scares me cause I know that means my roommate is going to let him out often so something bad happens to him. I need advice on what I should do, I have a lease on the house until January and he is telling me that i need to find Oakley another home or it will happen more often. Please Help!

Thank you,

Nik

Not too many options.  Sounds like your roommate is out for revenge.  You may need to find a temporary home for Oakley, until you can find a new permmanent home for yourself.  Give consideration to Oakley as well, it may be best to rehome him if you can't work things out with your roommate, which from your story, seems like a fairly slim change.

Is Oakley crated durning the day while you are work? If so could you not put him in your room with a lock on the door, so no-one can let him out. He is the landlord of the house or a tenant like you?  

Do you have permission to have the dog? If you do, there really isn't a lot he can say. Just get a good padlock on the door :D Make sure Oakley has plenty to keep him entertained.  

What an awful situation. I would either get some very secure locks on your doors or perhaps temporarily put your dog somewhere else till you can move as i would be extremely worried your housemate will do something to your dog purely for revenge :(

I would bring this up with your landlord - just describe the situation, how it makes you feel, and tell her your roommate threatened you with letting him out more often and/or rehoming him. Also say he has/had cats in the home, and they may be not on the lease. Also, I'm not sure of what country you live in, but intentionally 'siccing' a dog on other animals may count as animal abuse/neglect, especially because he lets him out of the house to roam around. 

If your landlord is any decent, they will speak to your roommate. 

All else fails...move to another house. You can ask if you can have the remaining year's rent (explain why you are leaving, you feel threatened, etc).