Sid's Journey Through Cancer

Sid&BellaNTX

Three months ago today I lost my boy Sid to cancer.  To this day I can't believe how fast cancer works.  At the beginning of this year, Sid started limping pretty bad after what I thought had been a slip on some ice.  He limped around for a couple of weeks before I took him back in to get x-rays.  Nothing came up.  A week or so later, I took a weekend trip to volunteer for a rescue group and left him with my parents.  When I came back, I knew something was wrong.  I could see a large mass on his right shoulder(seen in the first pic of the video).  I took him in to have my vet look at it.  X-rays were done and indeed it was a mass that had wrapped around his shoulder and was so intertwined with the muscles and bones there was nothing that could be done but remove the leg. :(  It was pretty crazy how fast it showed itself because just a couple of weeks before nothing had showed up on the x-rays.  That was the hardest news to take...at the time.  Part of the mass was sent off to be tested.  On February 4th, the results came back.  It was osteosarcoma or bone cancer.  THAT was the hardest news to take.  That same day Sid had his leg removed.  She felt like she had removed it all.  It was SO tough to see my boy with only 3 legs.  He was in so much pain and there was nothing that I could do. :(  Sid started recovering and did really well for a 9 year old.  He went through a period where he seemed to be doing really well.  But just a few short weeks later, he was in a lot of pain again.  I ended up taking him in, knowing it wouldn't be good news.  The cancer was back in the same location.  As the days past, the mass got larger and larger.  It was tough watching my boy, who used to be so strong and healthy, decline so quickly.  Sid was an amazing husky but against cancer, he didn't stand a chance. :(  On April 9th, just 2 days after his 10th birthday, Sid took his last car ride.  He fought so hard and went through it all with a smile on his face.  I'll never forget Sid or the 10 years of friendship that he gave me.  THANK YOU SID!!  

This is a vid that I put together showing Sid's trip through cancer.  Some of it may be hard to watch but wanted to share with fellow husky owners.  I hate cancer and pray nobody else has to go through anything like this.

Please try not to remember Sid just for those last few terrible months.

But treasure the 9 fantastic years you had together.

Run free Sid  :rainbowbridge:

The loss of such a perfect soul mate is one you will feel forever. Days will go by when you cannot think of anything else. You find yourself being angry, hurt, alone, and blaming yourself. But then, when you least expect it, you find yourself recalling a lesson he had to share, a special moment - a walk, a run, a quiet time together - full of smiles and fun. Suddenly, the memories that brought so much pain are the same ones that bring smiles.....

But the loss remains....

I'm thankful that you can share Sid's life and what the two of you experienced. We all love our huskies so, hoping we never have to lose them - especially in a way which causes them pain. The reality is the chance of that happening is slim. But knowing that there are moments when their lessons for us continue, when their smiles continue, when their love continues, brings a peaceful feeling.

I so admire what you have done for Sid and continue to do for Bella and your fosters. What a wonderful legacy -  a wonderful tribute to Sid and the battle the two of you faced....together - as it was meant to be...Hugs, Brian. Just lots of hugs! 

Try as I might, unable to hold back the tears. Not much can be added to such a heartfelt testimony of love and true dedication.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2