The Before Walkies Excitement!

BlueWolf

They're often excited to go for a walk, but this time me and Ruth walked them both. Since this is different than normal, I expected them to be 'a bit more' excited than normal so I decided to film it. This is what happened. Please tell me it's just not mine that are complete lunatics right before their walkies and it's something that other huskies do as well. No neighbours have complained YET  :blink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhYaCx6eg2c

I would like to point out that after a minute outside they're absolutely fine though. But I don't think anyone's going to believe me now after watching that video  :unsure:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep that's quite normal with my pack.

Just too excited about going for Walkies. 

Awesome Vid Jos. :clap:

Nice vid! Mine only goes nuts at breakfast/dinner times lol :D

I love Wodak's wide-eyed expressions, he's got a great hyper/excited face xD

Wodak is a dog of many expressions. I know exactly what's going on in his head just by looking at his face, lol. I know if he likes a random person or not from miles away just by his ears suddenly going flat on his back when someone walks around the corner. That's for me the main sign he's going to attempt to jump on that person once we get closer  :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

They're often excited to go for a walk, but this time me and Ruth walked them both. Since this is different than normal, I expected them to be 'a bit more' excited than normal so I decided to film it. This is what happened. Please tell me it's just not mine that are complete lunatics right before their walkies and it's something that other huskies do as well. No neighbours have complained YET  :blink:

**VIDEO LINK**

I would like to point out that after a minute outside they're absolutely fine though. But I don't think anyone's going to believe me now after watching that video  :unsure:

I can replicate this by doing what the human has done in this video. The huskies have only reacted to human behavior/exitement.

When I go close to the huskies, they see the harnesses and leashes, they get excited... I stay calm and still when they are in the excited state... Bella will still jump once or twice (compared to before when she won't stop jumping until we get to the door - but always stays still to put the harness). Hunter knows that until both are not sitting, the harness is not going to be put on - so he tries to calm Bella down. I do nothing as long as I know one of the huskies knows what to do and takes charge.

If Bella still jumps, I push her away and turn around (away from her) and keep doing that till she sits with Hunter. (this controls the before harnessing energy)

If I attempt to put the collar or harness and Bella jumps again, I repeat the stay exercise no matter how many times and how long it takes - every time.

Once harnessed and ready to go out, I let them run lose from one door (metal chain link fencing) till the backyard door (wooden). This I do to let them give a quick run burst out before we even open the wood (last backyard door). Almost 200 meters walkway and they run three four times in there - back and forth... (this gets the after harness energy out) - not necessarily needed but I do it to get them into excitement mode and then back again to normal just for exercise purpose. 

Then they are supposed to sit by the wooden door and I put the leash on...

Following (see below) took me weeks and months and sometimes we still need to properly practice:

Before opening the backyard door, they need to be leashed and sitting... When I would attempt to open the door, Hunter would jump and try to run through - I would pull him in and close the door again...

Wait till they both sit and attempt to open the door again... wait till they have no reaction to the open door and the view outside - even if you have neighbor kids running, huskies should only watch and not get focused on them.

Do not go out with them as soon as you open the door. They should wait till you are ready to go out even if the door is wide open.

I had to repeat this 30 15-30 minutes every time we went out...

We would even go out all the way and come back and repeat to perfect this exercise.

Another thing to keep in mind is that in the video, the husky walks over the grass when it wants and pulls where it wants as soon as it got out - This also mines would do if, even now, at any time I do not established walking rules and give them slack.

I stopped the pull behavior as soon as they would go out by following through the door exercise with another one as follows...

Once they properly sit with the door wide open, you let them go a bit and in the beginning they will start with the pull. You keep in mind that you only let them go a few steps - where they also take a few steps and STOP.

So we go out of the door - stop - close the backyard door - and now we start the walk.

When we start the walk - they are on a VERY tight leash. 2 ft the max. The collars are places up on their neck (close to head) and not the bottom (close to chest). They are not allowed to walk anywhere BUT the walking area UNTILL allowed to walk on grass. They will try hard but will give in as long as you are persistent. You walk as long as they are walking proper and if they try to pull, you stop right away and straighten them to where you want.

I used to put bella on my right and hunter on my left because I am stronger on holding left hand - and - hunter is heavier and has an enormous run drive (not prey drive). Now after months, without correcting, bella knows she walks on right and hunter walks on left.

Keep in mind that when you get out of the house, you need to let them get on the grass within a block - just helps them relive and concentrate better (specially if unaltered like mines - they want to mark their territory and the first grass I let them on is my front yard).

Next, our walks are not just walks - they are complete exercise. We have to stop at every intersection and sit. We have to also go through kids playing baseball and not get distracted while their parents hold their purse dogs on a 10 feet leash barking and trying to run at us. This all sounds impossible but it is doable even with huskies...  I have been DRAGGED a few times myself till I kept refining my practices - which has taught me that if I at any moment lose control of the environment, I can get in trouble...

The longer my leash is, more chances of me getting dragged. I always keep in mind that when I go out, I am aware that I have with me what weights more than myself and I am competing with 8/12 legs vs two... I can only win mind over body - techniques over power.

Another thing I have noticed is that if I am taking more than one dogs out together, they have to be anchored together with same distance. If one is with another handler and is behind (like in this video), it will pull more. For this, I control the heavier one and keep them closest.

I would put Keyna (95 lbs malamute) on a closer leash (2 ft), then hunter (50 lbs 3-4 ft leash) and then bella (full 6 ft leash as she is my roamer).This helps me because if I have all three without managing leash distance, and they pull, I pull all with the same pace and force - which is unfair to the little one and an advantage for the heavier one. If I have the heavier dog on tighter leash, the pull will stop he  heavier and closest first.

In the beginning I used to look like an overly protective and highly cautious person walking in the neighborhood but now I find my walks are easier even if there is any dog running lose, we will still be stable. Ofcorse that doesn't mean I put my guard down - just give you confidence, pleasure and joy in your walks...

Hope that helps