Longest Lead

Candie

What is the longest lead you all use with your huskies 30ft or 50ft? We are going to our family's home in the country and I want to get a lead that will allow my huskies to run, play and explore while being on lead. They are great for staying with us and returning when called off lead but I am not willing to risk allowing them to be completely off lead while not in a secure area. We will not be tethering them they will only be on the leads while we are out there supervising them.

I use a 30ft with my 7 month old. Its been so successful I'm going to invest in a 50ft. I would advise a harness though. I used mine with a collar initially and was worried she would injure her neck when she was running. I use the command 'careful' when she is coming to the end of the lead and she can actually come to a dead halt while running now. 

Ok thanks! Think I will order the 50ft. I can still use the same harness I use to walk them with right? I use the Walk your Dog with love harness and it works and fits great.

I wouldn't use a non pull harness with a lead they can run around on it will end up spinning them round with quite some force should they run right to the end which could end up hurting them . A normal walking harness is fine with a d-ring on the back but deffo not a front leading harness

I have a 100ft I use in open spaces. I want to get maybe a 30-50ft for trails. 100ft is a mess around all the trees and such. I end up spending so much time untangling Luna from trees, shrubs, and herself in the woods. I do have to say though, the 100 ft is GREAT for working on recall. :)

Agreed with everyone else.  50 feet hits the sweet spot and make sure to use a harness.  30 feet is too short for Yuki to run full blast (without me running briskly with her) while 100 feet can just be a mess.  With a 50 footer she can get to full speed with me at a standstill and if I jog with her on the 50 footer, she basically feels completely free.  I wrap it around my arm like a climbing rope and have become pretty adept at quickly giving or taking back slack depending on the amount of freedom I want her to have.  Takes some practice though!

Here's the one I got about a year ago:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EH2XJ2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's extremely durable, it doesn't tangle (easily anyways...) and I like the bright orange color because in public places it let's others know your dog is still on a lead and it also is easily visible so you don't risk tripping anybody.  It's fairly heavy so through thick grass you can definitely feel it drag but your husky will not mind one bit.   :)