Have To Ignore Balto :(

CARRINGTON

Today Balto was put in his box so I could get cleaning done and to clean the rats cage, and he can't be out while I am home alone cleaning them but we are leaving for cancun tomorrow for a week so their cage had to be done today by me (usually husband helps and watches Balto). Well he has been in there for over an hour and has yet to stop whining. I am done cleaning and he is still going. I feel bad but I won't even acknowledge him until he stops for five minutes. Am I doing the right thing by ignoring him?

I would say ignoring him is the best way. Shouting or giving in is just giving him attention. It's horrible, ours do the same, but you're doing the right thing :)

- Caity

Thanks. Last time we had to do this was crate training at night but now at night he goes in and we go to bed and we hear nothing. This is the first time he has been crated while one of us was home during the day

Thanks. Last time we had to do this was crate training at night but now at night he goes in and we go to bed and we hear nothing. This is the first time he has been crated while one of us was home during the day

Ours haven't been crate trained, the OH doesn't like crates, but we had the same while shutting them in the kitchen while we go to bed. Nika used to screech the place down until gone 4, and now the only time I hear them is when they're chewing something they're not supposed to (cupboard, wall, floor, pillow, socks, the list goes on :angry:)

He'll get over it, it'll be forgotten 30 seconds after he gets let out :)

I have to ignore my dogs when they do this..normally it's only echo who throws a fit but if we talk to him or let him out we are giving in so he knows anytime he does it he can get away..so ignoring him intill he stays quiet for at least 5 minutes is a good training method

explains the whining then. Dogs don't like to be removed from his pack's activity so he's kinda confused why does he need to be crated :) if he's human he'd be yelling: "HEY you're making a mistake! You're not going anywhere so get me outta here!" 

But if you continue crate him whenever you need to clean the rat cage he'd soon learn and stay quiet just like at night times

there are lots of times when I have to keep mine penned up.

answering the front door.

Putting the wheelie bin out, etc.

They have to get used to the idea that there are times when they cannot be with you

even though you are in the house.

If he whines ignore him till he stops, then praise him.

yeah ignore him and when he is finished and has been quiet for a bit praise him and engage him in play

sometimes the dogs just have to be out of the way for whatever reason and they always have a bit of a whinge because they think they are missing out 

explains the whining then. Dogs don't like to be removed from his pack's activity so he's kinda confused why does he need to be crated :) if he's human he'd be yelling: "HEY you're making a mistake! You're not going anywhere so get me outta here!" 

But if you continue crate him whenever you need to clean the rat cage he'd soon learn and stay quiet just like at night times

I can see that. I guess we will just have to put him in there more often. He seems to whine a lot more and a lot louder when my husband is the one who puts him in there or if my husband is home with me, but if it is just me he isn't as loud. I am not sure why that is, as we had to put him in there last night so we could do that cat box. We didn't give in.

Your dogs spoiled? No way couldn't be

I realized it the day I put the footstool up on the couch so Nikko could lay his head down ! Most people don't even let their dogs on the couch but noooo mine get first dibs!

I realized it the day I put the footstool up on the couch so Nikko could lay his head down ! Most people don't even let their dogs on the couch but noooo mine get first dibs!

WOW!!! Balto is not allowed on the furniture since the cat gets on the furniture (therefore she has her space on the bed, couch, etc. while he has the floor). FIRST DIBS!!!! SPOILED!!!!

Yup!  Right now I am on the left side of the couch, Nikko is on the right side.  The other two haven't made their way there yet lol

WOW!!! Balto is not allowed on the furniture since the cat gets on the furniture (therefore she has her space on the bed, couch, etc. while he has the floor). FIRST DIBS!!!! SPOILED!!!!

I would up the daytime crate training before the baby arrives, it will be good to know he will happily go in his crate if needed when you're bathing baby or the midwife comes around. I'm sure Balto will be a huge part of your babies new life, but knowing he will happily go into his crate during the day if needed would, I'm sure, be really useful x