Putting A Dog Down

Chula

Just curious what your thoughts are on this.

On a non-dog forum that I am on, someone has a 10 year-old dog that has become bitey. Probably from being sore/old age or some underlying health issue. The dog has bit two people (family members). A bite, not an all out attack, just a bite when someone gets to close and ignores the growling/warning signs.

Everyone is telling her to put the dog down. The breed's life span is 12-14 years on average.

This just seems sad to me. 

Em, since you say that this is a non-dog forum, possibly you're in a good place to do some education.  With a potential life span of 12-14 years, a 10 year old isn't particularly old - however that doesn't consider, as you mentioned, health issues.

The dog, as you say, is really just trying to tell people that he doesn't feel well - in the only way he knows how.  If you can convince them to have the dogs health evaluated as the first option, before they decide to 'put it down' (translate that to "kill it") then you're doing the dog and hopefully a really loving family a great service.

If the dog is warning them, then why are they pushing the boundaries that he's trying to set.  Maybe you need to address the issue of what the dog is trying to tell them that they aren't seeing first ....

and yes, it seems very sad that without mention of other things they might have tried they're thinking about putting him down.

One of the people the dog bit was a toddler who loves the dog so much he wants to constantly be hugging it and touching it. I understand their fear of it biting their child, but it seems like maybe they could do more to limit the dog/child interaction if that is the issue.

I have suggested they take the dog to a vet to get a professional's opinion on any possible health issues, and I think they are going to do that. Hopefully there is something easily treatable that is adding to the dog's grouchiness. :(  The woman doesn't want to put her dog down, but she is afraid of the liability in addition to her child being hurt.

the child has to understand that right now the dog doesn't want to play, and has to be taught not to ignore the dog's... or any dog's... growling and other warning signs. The dog won't jump out of nowhere and bite the child suddenly will he? I hope the vet found whatever it is that made the dog so uncomfortable :( the poor fellow still has a couple more years to spend with his loving family

I agree that the vet is the first port of call. Although some sibes get more stand-offish as they get older, it is pretty much unknown for a dog to change character without warning at that age. There is obviously some underlying health reason and, hopefully the vet will be able to discover what it is and put it right.

Yep Vets.

While I love my dogs, If they were in pain and there was nothing the vet could do.

and it had got to the point of them snapping at young children and causing damage them I would

consider the option of having them PTS.

I would hate to think that it was my own vanity and selfishness that was putting them through

what was left of their life in pain and misery.

Hopefully they'll figure out what wrong with it, the poor thing.

On a more personal note, Suka gets growly (and sometimes snarly) when his arthritis is acting up (for example, he's usually sore after a walk). I have no doubt if I didn't back off after his warning growls/snarls, I would get nipped. 

Tough call, but like all tough calls, you stand a better chance of making the call right, if you know all the facts and don't respond just to third-party comments and suggestions to simply put the dog down.  That in the end, may be the right call, but one will never know unless the dog is checked by a vet for symptoms of pain or some other health issue.  I agree, this is a good opportunity to educate the dog's owner and perhaps nudge them in the right direction.  Ultimately, the decision is their's whether they follow your advice or not.

Edited by Mazz