Wolves May Actually Be Back In The Netherlands

BlueWolf

For the last week it seems to have become a huge media hype over here. We may actually have our first confirmed wolf back in the Netherlands after being absent for 150 years! The bad news is that we only know that because she was hit by a car :(

In the last year there have been a few reports of people claiming to have seen a wolf, as well as a forester saying he has seen 'suspicious' paw prints. And than suddenly last week this wolf was found next to the road, giving actually the first opportunity to determine if it's a true wolf (as opposed to a wolfdog). So far they've said it's a two years old female, she had beaver in her stomach. There have been no signs found that it's NOT a wolf, the only investigation left to have it 100% confirmed is a DNA research which they are working on right now. If it is, this is the first wild wolf back in the Netherlands in 150 years. Quite a milestone if you ask me!

Majority of the opinions seem to be emotional ones but I'm glad to see most people have at least some kind understanding of wolves. Sometimes you have those people saying it's now too dangerous to walk with your children in the forest because the wolves could grab them, to which I and many others reply "When was the last time something like that happened?". Truth is that many Dutch people go on holidays in countries with wolves nearby and never had an trouble with them, let alone coming in contact with them.

I always said the Netherlands was too crowded for wolves to have a good habitat. Well, an interesting fact I learned is that compared to 150 years ago we now have much more forest areas (4% in 1900, 12% 2013), meaning it's now a much suitable area for wolves than in the past, something I'd never expected!

I'd say the future of the wolf in the Netherlands is looking quite bright. The only thing left is the DNA research to confirm it. Interesting times ahead!

So where did she come from.

did she spontaeneously appear.

Do any of your neighbouring countries have them in the wild.

To cross the border ??

Germany. There has been a healthy population of wolves for quite some time now. Especially near the eastern border there is enough suitable natural habitat for them.

post-2355-0-04667000-1373643418_thumb.pn

Black icons are known established packs. Coloured icons are reported solitaire wolves. It's not entirely accurate as there were more reports of wolves closer the the Netherlands last couple of months that aren't on the map yet. Last one (the one that is on the map) is just over the border in Germany seen 3 and a half months ago, at only 30km away from the Netherlands. Wolves are known to be able to cover much more distance than that in a single day. Half a year ago there was another report of a wolf in the Netherlands but since the photos taken by people weren't good enough nobody could be completely sure about it. There have been many reports since then though.

Wolves have also been spotted in Belgium last few years. Last year  the first wolf has also been found in Denmark, the first in 200 years. They identified the wolf and found out he has travelled more than 850 km (528 miles) to get there! That's the distance of the right side of the map to the red dot! Wolves are well within reach of the Netherlands.

Just read that the DNA research to confirm it's indeed a wolf is taking a bit longer than expected. You'll be the first to know when the results are in though :)

Last week one of the political parties has thought out loud that it may need to consider a hunt in the future (with no settled wolves confirmed???!!!). Good thing it caused a big backlash and that news item faded far into the background in merely two days.

It other news, the municipality where the animal has been found has set up this sign. Think they're secretly proud of it  ;)

post-2355-0-46416200-1374183252_thumb.jp

"Room for pioneers"