Telemarketers

Mazz

So I suppose most everyone has had to deal with telemarketers.  But at 8:15 on a Saturday morning?  Come on.  So I'm taking a few moments to stop in on the forum this morning.  Just Zoya and I are up.  It's 8:15 and the phone rings.  Some guy in a boiler room calls to sell me something I don't need, nor do I want.  I try to be polite, but this guy won't take "NO" for an answer.  I finally tell him to STOP!  Then I tell him, today is his lucky day, because instead of chewing him out, I'm going to let him here the last sound a sardine hears, before they seal the can.  I then hang up on this poor person who is just trying to do his job.

Should I feel guilty for hanging up on a telemarketer?

post-322-0-88021200-1373723630.jpg

I wouldn't feel guilty. There's a difference between doing your job and harassing people into buying your product. Usually if I'm polite about it and say something like 'no sorry, I don't have money for that right now' etc etc they just leave me alone. but sometimes they're so pushy I just want to slap them through the phone. So I just hang up. :P

Ah! I used to work at a telemarketing business and it is awful!! I would feel so bad calling people and harassing them. The company would tell me to keep pushing product until they said no 3 times! So ridiculous. So I quit because they wanted to fire me for just letting people off the phone when they weren't interested the first time. >_<

Third time is NOT a charm!! It's a death sentence. :P

I enjoy playing with them. I start off answering their questions and act interested. Then, I switch it around before they even catch on. I start a skit on a product that I (fictitiously) sell. Claiming I can cut them a good deal working under me today. And, today only I can increase their commission by 3% just by signing up.

I enjoy playing with them. I start off answering their questions and act interested. Then, I switch it around before they even catch on. I start a skit on a product that I (fictitiously) sell. Claiming I can cut them a good deal working under me today. And, today only I can increase their commission by 3% just by signing up.

lolol - that's awesome! 

If its a number I don't recognize, I don't even answer it. 

I'm with you Elyse,  I'll glance at the phone when it rings and if I recognize the caller id fine, they get a second chance when the answering machine picks up on the call.  If I don't know who they are and they don't identify themselves well enough to make me want to talk to them ... well, it's their quarter.

I think its like 2 quarters now  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Yeah, if I don't recognize the number on my cell phone I won't answer it.  If they don't leave a message it's not that important...

When I had a landline phone I didn't have caller ID, so I would answer and get telemarketers

I'm with you Elyse,  I'll glance at the phone when it rings and if I recognize the caller id fine, they get a second chance when the answering machine picks up on the call.  If I don't know who they are and they don't identify themselves well enough to make me want to talk to them ... well, it's their quarter.

I used to put the phone next to the TV and they would jabber away for ages reading off their prepared speech.

before they twigged. :P

We get them all the time, even though in Oz you can go on a register that blocks most of the telemarketing calls, unfortunately it doesn't work with the ones that come from overseas and these are the ones that really annoy me.

Anyway this is what I do these days; my response is a simple, I respond to any question in a gravelly deviant voice "hmmm, what are your wearing?" they will normally say, erm, I am sorry I didn't quite get that. To which I respond "whaaaaat aaare youuuuu weaaarrrring????"  :lol:  Works every time.

We get them all the time, even though in Oz you can go on a register that blocks most of the telemarketing calls, unfortunately it doesn't work with the ones that come from overseas and these are the ones that really annoy me.

Anyway this is what I do these days; my response is a simple, I respond to any question in a gravelly deviant voice "hmmm, what are your wearing?" they will normally say, erm, I am sorry I didn't quite get that. To which I respond "whaaaaat aaare youuuuu weaaarrrring????"  :lol:  Works every time.

:rofl: I am going to have to try that one next time!!!

This is hilarious! :lol:

lolol - that's awesome! 

If its a number I don't recognize, I don't even answer it. 

Yep, I second this.

Hahaha love it! What will you do if they answer you? Lol

We use to have a budgie that would answer the phone while it was still ringing lol if we didnt know the number our bird got to answer he'd say 'hello' very clearly they start talking then he'd say 'no don't want' haha took us ages to teach him that.

Now I either don't answer or I let them ramble on then hang up or say not interested I do it to people that come to the door as well they get really annoyed because I waste there time haha

Hahaha love it! What will you do if they answer you? Lol

We use to have a budgie that would answer the phone while it was still ringing lol if we didnt know the number our bird got to answer he'd say 'hello' very clearly they start talking then he'd say 'no don't want' haha took us ages to teach him that.

Now I either don't answer or I let them ramble on then hang up or say not interested I do it to people that come to the door as well they get really annoyed because I waste there time haha

... just keep going hmmmm, hmmmmm hummmmmmm until they hang-up. 

I like budgie one LOL

EDIt : I don't do this when it is someone from Red Cross, Blind society or similar organisations.

... just keep going hmmmm, hmmmmm hummmmmmm until they hang-up. 

I like budgie one LOL

EDIt : I don't do this when it is someone from Red Cross, Blind society or similar organisations.

Haha i miss our budgie he was awesome lol

I never get calls from Red Cross or anyone that I'd think about helping. It's always people trying to sell me items from overseas.