Know It All Man At The Park

We got chatting to a very nice man when we were out walking in the woods earlier and as these people do, he decided to give us some advice with letting her off the lead. When we said we weren't going to let her off (possibly in an enclosed space when we trust her) he practically said we were cruel. We've got a 30ft lead and plan to get longer ones as she grows and as we find suitable places to take her. I also plan to run with her as she gets bigger and needs more exercise.

What do you guys think?

Thanks x

People assume all dogs can be let off lead. My friends dad, who lives in the country says all the time that we can let them off leash and they'd come back to us, and how we treat them so well that they wouldn't want to run away.

If anyone of them could it would be Kodiak. He listens very well and will always come when called. But it only takes once for something bad to happen, a bird, squirrel that he wants and he's gone. I'm not willing to take that chance!

Had this conversation a few times and been treated as you have. It upset me the first time because i love Elka and the thought someone thought i was cruel was awful. I have since developed a thick skin as a Husky owner. I have read extensively as we all have and we understand what our dogs need. Some lady in a tweed skirt with two rare breeds on a lead doesn't know Husky's! Oops sorry flashback and offload!!! 

Yep and I bet he knows as much about brain surgery as he does about Huskies.

So if you ever get a brain tumour . . . . y'know who to turn to. :P

Yes yes I often encounter these 'know it alls'. It's even worse when you're 19, and you look 14, and they decided you're a horrible dog owner who needs educated right away. Oh you feed a 4.5 star dog food? How horrible, why don't you feed Purina? Oh you don't vaccinate your dog for kennel cough every year even though its never kenneled? Well we better report you right away. These people seem to think there is a set-in-stone book about dogs, its the one /they/ wrote, and if you don't do everything their way, well you are just so cruel and how dare you own a dog? My best advice is to vent it out.. and forget all about it :P I've even gotten to a point where I just ignore them. It's easier to change which direction I'm walking than to change someone's mind.

You'll get plenty more like this but don't take it personally, people just don't understand the difference between a loyal, reliable recall dog such as a Labrador and a high prey drive, stubborn dog like a husky. It gets frustrating at times but eventually you'll get used to it, sometimes I even play along with it and pretend to be the over protective or cruel person they think I am. It can be quite entertaining to watch the look of horror on their faces! Lol.

Been there, done that, had the arguments,  felt really bad, finally decided to stop banging my head on a brick wall and simply stopped taking Bear to the park where I was getting grief.  Feel much better now lol.  Worse culprits are older men I find, especially when bear pulls, I've even had men grab the lead to "help" me  :angry:  

yup, we've had much the same conversations over the years. I got frustrated trying to educate the know-it-alls, so even now, with 4 on lead dogs, I just agree with them & act like they're doing me a favour! Cuts the talking time down dramatically then I walk away thinking ""Numpty!" and pray his dog stays safe when off lead

You will always encounter these so called experts. As I've said before my definition of an expert is

a)     X is an unknown factor    and

B)    A spurt is a drip under pressure.

Oh so true when dealing with people that think they know huskies. Stick to your guns and if not sure, ask on here. You know it makes sense. ;)

Gary.

Had a horrible evening, and defo sticking to our guns with the lead now. My boyfriend's brother has a collie who we've always been cautious of. Had Khaleesi on a 30ft lead tied up in their garden (cos it's not enclosed) and she attacked my baby. She's ok but has split her eye and we've got to take her for stitches tomorrow. Luckily her sight is fine. The collie used to live with us and tried to bite my face once. We were watching so closely but the collie just pounced from metres away. Defo not letting my girl get like that x