New To Forum

JoBee

Hi all

Well i have joined this forum afer just returning from our local Dog Trust shelter where my husband and I have reserved our first Husky.

He is a white 8 month old, with stunning blue eyes.

We were given lots of information about his history from his previous owners (had to re-home him following their daughters throat operation and being told by the doctor no pets) and was very keen to meet him. So we waited in the designated meet and greet outdoor area.

He came out very calm, tail wagging, walking lovely on his lead. We spent some time with him. He was quite inquisitive, very well behaved, very calm and was very affectionate. He managed a few commands very well, and wasnt even scared of the big ride on lawn mower that rumbled past. He wasnt really bothered with the other dogs in view either. It turns out he got on really well with a Spaniel puppy who he shared a kennel with some time for company, and i found out today that the Spaniel is the one my sister adopted yesterda!. Apparently staff have showed him a cat and birds and he wasnt bothered, his previous owners also say hes ok with livestock (which is important as he will be sharing his garden with a chicken run) the staff dont think this will be a problem.

Ive done lots of reading/research regarding exercise, digging! and their abiltiy to clear fences. Oh and the amount of hair they shed. Ive also read, with interest, the possibility of always having to walk him on a lead.

This is the first time in 20 years we havent had a dog. My first was an adorable Old English Sheepdog, which i think would of been on par with a Husky, regarding the shedding of hair (boy did i have a pile following grooming!). I have also had two Great Danes who were fantastic but have such a short life span, which we knew when i had them, but i still expected my big boy to get past his 5th birthday :-( I lost him last year and my precious girl February this year.

We have thought long and hard about having another dog. Addmittedly Huskies are very new to us, but then, Great Danes are not your average dog. Koby (Husky) is beautiful, obviously this isnt the only reason for having him. When we decided to adopt him the staff spoke so highly of him (we are going for a breed talk in a couple of days, as part of the adopting process) Hes melted our heart too.

We live out in the counrty with lots of fields for exercise and we are also close to many dog walking areas for variety. We have good obedience classes run locally and our house is big enough for a crate etc (as this seems to be a sanctuary for a Husky)

So, as you are all experienced ownere, your thoughts please.

Jo :-)

Hi Jo welcome to the pack :D

He sounds lovely!  Can't wait to see pics!

Sorry to hear about loosing your Great Danes - so young as well :(

You sound like you've read up a lot so you know what you're getting into :)  They can be hard work but they're really worth it x

Welcome to the forum.  Great Danes are so majestic.  It's sad that their life expectancy is not very long.  Enjoy your new furbaby, and of course you will be posting some pics.

No one else will say it, but I will --- sounds to me like Koby was on his best behaviour the day you went to visit!!  No Husky behaves that well all the time - I think he suckered you in big time!!  << laughing!! >>

They are excellent dogs - if a lot different from most any other dog you've ever been around! 

Welcome to the forum, pictures (as you may have noticed) are expected and the inevitable questions about where the well mannered Husky went will be entertained (and entertaining) as needed!

Welcome to the forum. Great Danes are so majestic. It's sad that their life expectancy is not very long. Enjoy your new furbaby, and of course you will be posting some pics.

I agree! I love Great Danes and Nikko really takes a liking to them as well. I have 2 neighbors that have one and there was one in our training class. Nikko's best friends!!

Wow! what a lovely warm welcome from everyone, thank you. :)  :)  photos will follow when hes here, fingers crossed on Thursday

Ive phoned dogs trust today for various details (food etc) for when he comes home and it turns out they have had a DAP collar on him (they said all their puppies have them so they dont get stressed, also said the spaniel my sister is having has one) I do know Koby didnt have this collar in his home, and no reports of bad behaviour etc. 

Does anyone have experience of these collars as ive never used them on any of my dogs before, and wondering.....  is why he was such a good boy :rolleyes:

Jo

Hey there, hello! Welcome to the dark side :wave:

Err... I mean, welcome to the world of husky owners :D 

Good luck on your adoption process! Koby sounds like a beautiful, sweet little boy  :D with him being a teenager, I think you don't need to wonder when he will show his "true colors"  :rolleyes: another good luck from me and my pack for that  :P sorry can't help with the DAP collar as I don't even know what are those things, but I'm sure if you put up a thread more people will see it and those who have experience/knowledge would answer quickly :) enjoy your stay!

Wow! what a lovely warm welcome from everyone, thank you. :)  :)  photos will follow when hes here, fingers crossed on Thursday

Ive phoned dogs trust today for various details (food etc) for when he comes home and it turns out they have had a DAP collar on him (they said all their puppies have them so they dont get stressed, also said the spaniel my sister is having has one) I do know Koby didnt have this collar in his home, and no reports of bad behaviour etc. 

Does anyone have experience of these collars as ive never used them on any of my dogs before, and wondering.....  is why he was such a good boy :rolleyes:

Jo

not used a DAP collar , but i do have the spray n it really helps calm my staffy down on bonfire night when he gets stressed ,, he might actually be just a well behaved husky , my 2 have a few moments but for the most part they are really well behaved :)

Welcome ti the forum. Isn't thd wait awful? Both our boys come from our local dog's trust, we found them very helpful. The adoption talk was funny, us and a couple takjng home their 4th. Enjoy koby, solo been here 7 months Charlie 2 1/2 years adore them both x

I've used a DAP collar on Echo (my White GSD) when she was constantly attacking Darwin.

It did have a calming effect.

a bit expensive (cheaper online)