Help And Advice Needed

claire myers

Hi All,

I really need some help and advice.

I have a beautiful Siberian Husky called Bo.  I am having some problems at the moment with regards to his behaviour, that said it isn't so much hes behaviour that is the problem, more so he's seperation anxiety.

My partner and I have full time jobs, which means that we are away from the house a lot.  Bo has previously been quite destructive when being left alone (we have been through 6 dinning room chairs, countless rugs, a least 5 dog beds, an arm chair, post etc).  We now keep him in the kitchen whilst we are out.  But we have had some complaints from the neighbours about the noise he is making.  We have been coming home to find that the kitchen doors are scratched to pieces, so we set up a camera to see what happens when we are out.  The results were difficult to watch.  My poor boy is just desperate for company, he isn't being destructive purposly, he is jumping up trying to get out and looking for attention.  His boredom and lonliness is clear to see and that is our fault. 

He gets walked daily, but the exercise isn't enough to keep him content when we aren't at home.

I am now seriously considering rehoming him, because I cannot stand to see him so unhappy.  It  breaks my heart even having to think about it but I feel he's happiness should come first.

Am I doing the right thing even contemplating finding him a new home? 

He is such a lovely dog and would be a fantastic addition to any husky loving family.  I'm just not sure that a) I would be doing the right thing or B) whether there is anything else I can do to avoid having to do that?

Please can I have some advice?!

Yes crate train him. It will reduce the damage.

also, crazy as it sounds. . . . 

Have you considered getting a second Husky.

Many of us have found a second provides much needed company and lessens the Separation anxiety.

Is your garden secure ?

Could you put a dog flap in the door to the garden so Bo can have some room and freedom while you're away.

He was crate trained as a puppy.  We just didn't like the thought of him being locked up in a crate all day long, so started letting him out.  Plus he was whinning a lot whilst he was in it, we kept getting complaints from the neighbours!

I would love to get another dog for him to be with, but our house just isn't big enough for another.  The back garden is fenced, however I have found him on the shed roof twice!! So I couldn't really trust him all day.

I just don't know what to do for the best. :unsure:

He was crate trained as a puppy.  We just didn't like the thought of him being locked up in a crate all day long, so started letting him out.  Plus he was whinning a lot whilst he was in it, we kept getting complaints from the neighbours!

I would love to get another dog for him to be with, but our house just isn't big enough for another.  The back garden is fenced, however I have found him on the shed roof twice!! So I couldn't really trust him all day.

I just don't know what to do for the best. :unsure:

the dog doesn't have to be another husky, although it would be great some times its not viable. have you considered a different breed?

my two boys are crated all day and they are fine, in fact they love their bed (prefer to call it bed than crate lol) if you think of it as a safe haven, considering the amount of damage he can do to your house, he probably hurt himself too.

there are ways to tackle SA, but its not quick or easy, and considering your out at work (everyone has to work so don't feel bad about that) its not going to be an easy job.

Is it possible to get someone in during the day for half hour or so to reduce the length of time, and thus reduce the stress he is going through?

Looks like you have been given the best options that I could think of, to be honest. It isnt going to resolve itself overnight. A dog walker is a great idea, he needs to let out that energy. Crating him will protect him though again that takes time and perseverance. Do you have any leave booked where you can concentrate of crate training? Maybe get toys that mentally stimulate like a kong filled with treats or peanut butter.

All this would be preferable to giving your husky up if you could find an answer x

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk HD

Crating is your best option quite honestly. It's not cruel, it keeps them safe :) If you're away that often I would also look into putting him into daycare once or twice a week or hiring a dog walker, sounds like he just has a ton of pent-up energy as well.

^ Agreed with above! I could NOT Imagine my dogs and new husky puppy without a Crate. They all LOVE their beds and safe place that they can call their own. It is the best way to train all dogs and avoid a destroyed home.  

We have a German Shepherd, A Pit, Husky Puppy and a Small older dog. They ALL Love their own spaces and go to their beds on command. They sleep in them at night at bedtime and while we are at work away from the house. This not only protects your house but protects them from dangers around the house. Its not mean...the really do enjoy having a place to consider their "Own Personal Space". Drogo/ Husky pup is 11 1/2 weeks old we have had him since 6 weeks and he is already crate trained, We just upgraded him to the big crate because he outgrew the smaller one and he is Loving it. We put his blanket and some of his toys in there for him.

post-10544-0-43325900-1374088032_thumb.j 

My Storm was a re-home, partly down to separation anxiety. We already had Holly, our Collie cross. From the moment he came in the house and had the company of another dog, he never looked back. They've gelled as a pack, and he's not bothered how long we go out for now. Not all dogs are the same, but that is my experience.

Oh I agree with everyone else had I not crated my girl she'd have probably killed herself ,, she had a thing for chewing electrical wires

Oh, not Good :eek:

Oh I agree with everyone else had I not crated my girl she'd have probably killed herself ,, she had a thing for chewing electrical wires

That happened once. I used to put a radio on top of his crate to keep him calm. I came home from lunch and he got to the power cord and chewed it up. Luckily he must of unplugged it before he chewed through it! Needless to say that was the last time I put anything near his crate!

i crate mine every day for about 7 hours and they could care less. if i come home early or something they are like what are you doing here? as they nap mostly lol

i just make sure they get plenty of exercise and i don't crate them when i'm at home.

lol i never put anything near my two's crates. they can't even have a bed in there... sigh

• 7 months later...

Hi, i know this thread had been dead a while, I am the proud owner of Bella Bear and my god is she a madam! but I love her! lol.

Anyways, I am a dog walker in the Maldon area, and am always looking for more walkies friends for bella of the husky version. lol. 

i'm not trying to sell to you lol.. but if it helps, bella's walk times are 6am,12 noon, 6pm and 10pm (her 1-on-1 walks with me)... if they get on i don't mind walking your pooch at any of these times :)  (no charge) :)

paws xx