Heat And Walking

Elyse

Hey guys. So, I have a question. 

Right now we're in a heat wave. Temps have reached 42 C with humidity.

I've been walking Suka every night (around 10pm), for about 50 minutes, at a moderate pace (mostly because he pulls). When I return, he drinks his entire bowl of water, and pants heavily and quickly for 20ish minutes. I always check his gums for signs of heatstroke, but I'm still concerned. 

Should I be walking him in this heat? He needs to exercise to keep his muscle strength up, as he has arthritis, but I'm concerned on the effects of this heat on him...especially because he is older, he may not be as tolerant as younger dogs.

Should I just walk him for 30 minutes instead of 50? Or would 20 minutes not really make much of a difference?

(And no, he doesn't like to swim, so that isn't an option!)

Thanks for the help. 

Yeah, you're treading a fine line between enough exercise and too much heat.

I would drop it down to 30 mins. See if Suka is still drinking heavy and adjust it.

Too much heat is dangerous (as you well know)

Too little exercise is an inconvenience.

It's hot here too, about the same temp. I used to do a 30 min walk around 4-5 pm and a 30 min walk around 9-10pm

Since its been so hot I am pushing the 4-5pm walk to around 8-9pm. Can't do it much later because bedtime is at 10

Would you guys do any walks during the day? Even just a 15 min walk? Or do what I am and wait until evening

I'm sure you are already doing this, but make sure Suka is groomed daily to ensure that any loose hair is removed which will help the air circulate to the skin more easily and stop heat being trapped.  Also I use a cement mixing tray filled with water which makes an ideal paddling pool and mine love to dig in it and kick water over themselves.  Had it for two years and it is virtually indestrucatable.  Do you have a wood or forest near you that you can walk in.  Mine have just come back from an hour walk in the woods including a paddle in a lake and it is so mkuch cooler there.

It's hot here too, about the same temp. I used to do a 30 min walk around 4-5 pm and a 30 min walk around 9-10pm

Since its been so hot I am pushing the 4-5pm walk to around 8-9pm. Can't do it much later because bedtime is at 10

Would you guys do any walks during the day? Even just a 15 min walk? Or do what I am and wait until evening

Nope - I don't walk him during the day when its hot out. Usually I walk him during the day in the winter (warmer for me). 

And thanks guys - I'll reduce his walk to 30 minutes tonight and I'll see how he is. 

I cant walk mine in the day as the path is ridiculously hot and i have no other way to walk than on the path even to get to grass areas etc... i walked on it myself with no shoes on at around 1 in the afternoon and it was burning my feet so no way ill take my dogs on it!

I haven't been walking mine much lately, I went out 2 weeks ago when it wasn't as hot, and they went round the green once and wanted to go back home....the house is opened up from when I get home so they run around the garden for 2-5 min bursts then die on the stone floor in living room.

Going to try a late night walk on Friday, but they don't seem to like this weather at all....and are happy enough to chill in the garden and lounge.

try him on a shorter walk, if he still struggles, maybe some play time in the garden if he does that.

I've been having a problem with bear sleeping at night simply because he's not going out as much,  he has a couple of short walks during the day to pee etc, ( won't go unless we go out)  and a longer one after the sun goes down and its a bit cooler but he spends most of the day just flaked out on the floor, he moves from spot to spot as each one warms up,  but wants to play at 3am ! 

I've been having a problem with bear sleeping at night simply because he's not going out as much, he has a couple of short walks during the day to pee etc, ( won't go unless we go out) and a longer one after the sun goes down and its a bit cooler but he spends most of the day just flaked out on the floor, he moves from spot to spot as each one warms up, but wants to play at 3am !

auroras same. shes not sleeping properly either.

This week they haven't been getting all their walks either.  Yesterday was just too hot so we went to PetSmart and walked around in the a/c, and took a 15 min walk around 8pm when it was a little cooler.  Granted, it was still 88F (31C) but at lease the sun was going down.

The next 3 days are all going to be around 95F (35C) with heat indexes around 105-110F (41-43C).  We get a break Friday night when we get some storms.

Can't wait for this heat to break!

I can't wait for this heat to break either! It's so ridiculous! 

I took him for the shorter walk last night (30 mins) and he wasn't panting/drinking as much when we got home. Silly dog still wanted to continue on with the rest of the walk, and complained a little when I turned around to go home. :P

We have the same problem. OH has been taking Chula for a 10-15 minute walk at 6 am, and then another short walk around 10 pm, but it's too hot to walk her while the sun is up because we have to walk on blacktop or sidewalks. It was 101 here yesterday with a really high dew point (so super muggy in addition to hot), and every time I let her outside to pee she came running back inside. I tried to play fetch with her this morning for awhile. She usually will play fetch for 20-30 minutes before getting bored. Today she only went after the ball three times and then was standing by the door ready for water and to go inside.

Unfortunately, she still has energy since there is a/c inside, so she just takes it out on my sofa cushions.

We have the same problem. OH has been taking Chula for a 10-15 minute walk at 6 am, and then another short walk around 10 pm, but it's too hot to walk her while the sun is up because we have to walk on blacktop or sidewalks. It was 101 here yesterday with a really high dew point (so super muggy in addition to hot), and every time I let her outside to pee she came running back inside. I tried to play fetch with her this morning for awhile. She usually will play fetch for 20-30 minutes before getting bored. Today she only went after the ball three times and then was standing by the door ready for water and to go inside.

Unfortunately, she still has energy since there is a/c inside, so she just takes it out on my sofa cushions.

Yup mine have just as much energy so they are climbing up the walls!!!

We walk Kato everyday usually around 6pm, but since it has been hot out lately we have been trying to push it back later so it isn't so hot. We usually walk him around a mile to a mile and a half. We are usually outside walking for about 30 mins or a little more. He pants a lot after and drinks a lot, but just lays on the cold ground in the house and is perfectly fine. If it is hot for us outside we will cut the time down for the walk because we know it has to be so much worse for Kato. If it gets cooler at night you shouldn't have a problem walking for a longer period of time.