Update On The Ripley Front

Ripleysmomma

It has been awhile since I have been around, between the boys... all of them (including Ripley) I am a busy busy momma. Ripley is getting so huge and takes up his fair share of time and space. I love every single minute of it. We have had some stuff going on between myself having surgery a couple months ago and death in the family. It has been massively crazy around here. Sooooo if all that wasn't enough haha ... I have finally decided we are getting another husky. I think Ripley needs a play mate... I don't think he is happy being an only puppy. He came from a huge litter of 9 brothers and sisters and went to being an only doggy. Sooooo with tons of thought and pondering and debating and making a list of pro's and con's we are getting another husky.

My boss has 2 sibe's and has decided she is going to give me one of her puppies as her dog just had a litter of 5. She has decided that she is going to have her pair spayed and neutered because her house just can't handle another littler of puppies... this is 5 couches, 105 pairs of shoes later lol...She has since decided that she loves Ripley and wants me to take one of the females from her litter and breed it with Ripley.... I am not sure MY house can handle all of that but I do love the idea of having another husky.

Here is a question for you all ... I have seen that many of you have All White Sibe's... Is there anything medically I need to watch out for with an all white husky vs like rip which is black and white... I was informed by a friend who went to school for animal science that white huskies have more health issues than huskies with color.

The new baby girl is all white with blue eyes like her dad... momma is red and white.. I can't wait until i can post pics.. however she is only 3 weeks old so no pics yet.

post-9467-0-45976700-1374023307_thumb.jp

Dilute colors in some breeds can be linked to issues. But the white color is often just a masked color gene. The main thing I would look out for is if someone selling them is using the white color as a marketing point. A responsible breeder doesn't consider color when breeding Siberians. I saw that she is requesting for your dog to be bred as well. What health testing has she done, and what tests are you expected to have done? This site is really handy for seeing how closely each dog fits the standard: http://www.mikulov.org/links/analysis.htm

This is a fairly good list of health issues that may be genetic. The hips and the eyes are tracable through whichever registree she had them tested through. And most you can test the bitch and the stud at about three years for. http://www.htpuppiescb.com/siberianhusky.htm

There was a thread last week about a gentleman that wanted to breed his husky, it'd be great if someone could post it as it had some good advise on there.

To be honest, I think this is a bit wierd, from what I understand, this little girl has just been born, you don't really know how she's going to turn out and if she'd make a suitable breeding bitch and she's already planning to breed her? You'd have to wait at least a couple of years... The thread I'm thinking of included some great links and advise on there, I'll try to find it

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

She has never had any health issues with her dogs. She just thinks Ripley and a female from her dogs would be pretty together. I think she was really just joking around because she knows I have been thinking about getting another husky for awhile. This is absolutely something I am not going to even consider breeding for some time as Ripley is only 6 months old. That is entirely too early to think about babies. I really did actually think about having him neutered. She actually has 3 all white females and 1 male which is colored just like Ripley and a lil gray and white boy. I am not sure really if another male would be better or female but i am going to get one of the puppies from this litter as her dogs are amazingly gorgeous and extremely well taken care of. This litter of 5 was an oops litter. She was unaware her female even went into heat. She does know that if I do take one of the puppies it will be taken care of and spoiled just like Ripley is and I think that is her main concern... She is generally very responsible for her dogs and all of the puppies her female has ever had. She does have a return policy on them all. Which is pretty cool I think.

By health testing we mean hip and eye testing, OFA and CERF. Hip displasia and hereditary eye defects are two of the most common health problems and huskies, and why you will see breeders testing for it. And all breeders that I know of have it in their contract that the pups MUST go back to the breeder if it has to be rehomed, so I would say that a return policy would be standard. Genetics are a bit more complicated than two dogs just going together.. my Yuki in my opinion looks like a pretty fine husky, but shes got no chest, shes cow hocked, her ears are too big, and a couple other faults. Does it mean I love her any less? Nope, but I certainly wouldn't consider breeding her knowing shes not a suitable breeding candidate. I'm not trying to get on your case or anything, I'd just like to make sure research is done before more pups are brought in the world when there are plenty (puppies and adults) in shelters. Jamie has given you some valuable links, I would look through them. 

Good luck - fingers crossed for you.

If you've been looking for another husky...would it be possible for you to look into rescuing one? There are so many in need of homes. I rescued mine, and although I'm sure he isn't a purebred, I wouldn't trade him for the world. :)

Heya good to see you back :D Ripley has grown so much! I'm sure he'd love to have a play mate :D I do believe I've read somewhere that "white dogs have more health problems" is a statement only applicable if that white dog is an albino. White husky is not an albino, so they should be fine :) good luck xxx