Luna Has Explosive Poos :(

love4Luna

I've noticed lately that she's had really bad gas, and I mean BAD. I've also noticed someone has had really runny poops lately, but with 3 dogs, its hard to tell who is doing it. Until today. I took the kids out swimming and when we came home, I opened the door to what smelled like Luna's horrible gas. I was letting the dogs all out and saw she had diarrhea smeared all over her crate and herself. So I know now its her. :( I've been going over their diet, and realized the only thing different is that I bought them 2 giant bags of peanut butter biscuits. Only problem is that the other two weren't interested in them and won't eat them. Luna is the only one.

Here's the shame on me part... I bought them because they were a good deal. But never read the ingredients. I did today, corn, corn meal, wheat flour, meat by product, artificial peanut butter flavoring, etc and a whole list of ingredients I can't pronounce. I've now stopped giving her them, but now have like 8 lbs of biscuits left over. I guess I will have to donate them to the humane society here in town.

Its the only thing I can think of that's causing the problem. Its the only change in diet since she has come home. (Besides switching her from Iams puppy chow to TTOW)

Poor girl, hope she'll get better quickly :( Give her a hug for me :wub:

Ares tends to get runny poop every time he eats something different apart from his kibbles. His bag of kibbles was getting close to the end so I bought a different kind now and guess what - I'm afraid to let him poop in front of other people, he's like a bomb!

Poor girl, hope she'll get better quickly :( Give her a hug for me :wub:

Ares tends to get runny poop every time he eats something different apart from his kibbles. His bag of kibbles was getting close to the end so I bought a different kind now and guess what - I'm afraid to let him poop in front of other people, he's like a bomb!

Lol, I totally understand what you are talking about. Husky tummies are just so super sensitive!

We took Luna out for training at petsmart last week, and she was soooo gassy! It was horrible. We had our heads out the window, I'm sure we looked hilarious.

I switched her food today, sorta. Still TTOW, but a different flavor. Fish instead of bison. I didn't think about it until now, but I hope that doesn't start issues as well.

A husky with gas has got to be the most noxious odour known.  It should be classified as a highly toxic substance.  Guaranteed to clear a room within seconds with the husky who dealt in usually first out the door.  Hope everything settles down.

Cut the biscuits into smaller chunks and use them as treats every now and then..

she can still enjoy them and the smaller size should stop the "after effects"

Usually the things causing the diarrhea is the quantity not necessarily the content.

You can buy the best, healthiest Kibble but give them too much and they'll get the runs.

Chop the biscuits into small treat sized pieces.

Let her "dry up" first though :)

I've been there!  I will go to PetSmart and buy something new and give it to them, and then I deal with the after effects!

I think the worst thing I did was give Nikko Frosty Paws.  One cup of that stuff and he had explosive poos for like 3 days! 

Sometimes you just don't know what is or isn't going to agree with them.  Something that seems good can trigger it.  I always keep canned pumpkin on hand to sort it out when they do get the runs.

Oh, I also use TOTW, and was running low and had some samples of other flavors I gave them, didn't have an issue.  A doggie nutritionist said that mixing different flavors of TOTW won't upset their stomachs, but then I have been told by other people that you shouldn't mix it up without doing it gradually, even with the same brand. 

Well thank you all for all of the great advice! I'm hoping she dries up here soon. Its already getting better, not great, but better. Its also good to know that switching up flavors in TOTW should be okay. I knew about boiled chicken and rice for upset tummies, but didn't know about pumpkin! I'll have to look that one up and check that out.

While you do have my sympathy, nothing worse than squeaky poo ...  oh, btw is there someone at the humane society who you don't like?? :)

Oh geez! Lol I didn't mean it that way!! :P I just figured with all the pooches there that rely on donations to be fed, I'm sure they have some strong stomachs. So these biscuits wouldn't bother them so much. I was just trying to be nice, honest!! :lmao:

Don't worry. After Nikko had explosive poo from the frosty paws, we have it to his coworker who had little dogs. And her dogs got wicked runs from it too!! I felt bad but I didn't think it would give all dogs explosive poos

Don't worry. After Nikko had explosive poo from the frosty paws, we have it to his coworker who had little dogs. And her dogs got wicked runs from it too!! I felt bad but I didn't think it would give all dogs explosive poos

Alrighty then... Note to self: don't give Luna frosty paws. And I was seriously thinking about getting some. Considering the heat and all.

Alrighty then... Note to self: don't give Luna frosty paws. And I was seriously thinking about getting some. Considering the heat and all.

Yes! I've warned everyone about frosty paws! Stick with some chicken broth ice cubes

My pup has had nasty explosive runny poop since we got him. At first we figured it was cuz he was nursing and eating solids so it was upsetting his tummy. Then once we brought him home he was having Just the Exclusive puppy food. That didn't help so we switched to puppy chow.....that didn't work so we tried TOTW. Nothing has hardened his stool. So we took him to Vet last Monday, they checked his stool and he is fine. I was told that puppy food is already Super high in protein and some puppies tummies can't handle that. So cut his food "Exclusive" in half and try feeding him less then what the bag says. If that doesn't work then switch to the puppy chow. Its a cheaper brand but has less protein. BUT.... I don't feel that switching to a cheaper brand is going to help him since reg puppy chow isn't as good for him as the Exclusive and we have already tried that and it didn't work!

Anyone have any recommendations?? He is 12 1/2 weeks old