Met Office Heatwave Warning

Andy

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah its definitely warm! Common sense is much needed in these occasions i think. I have a fan on constantly at the moment for the dogs and lots and lots of fresh cold water :) i even made some melon ice cubes today :D

Gee, it can't be any hotter than it is here in Iowa.  Yesterday, when I left work at 5:00 pm, it was 96F (~36C) and the humidity was about 80%.  As an aside, an acre of corn can produce up to 10 gallons (~38 liters) of water into the atmosphere in a single day.  That's why we have heat warnings every summer, because the added humidity affects what they call the heat index.  So like yesterday, when the temperature reads 96F, with the high level of humidity at 80%, yields a heat index of 135F (~57C).  In other words, the heat index is what it feels like, with the added humidity.

Gee, it can't be any hotter than it is here in Iowa.  Yesterday, when I left work at 5:00 pm, it was 96F (~36C) and the humidity was about 80%.  As an aside, an acre of corn can produce up to 10 gallons (~38 liters) of water into the atmosphere in a single day.  That's why we have heat warnings every summer, because the added humidity affects what they call the heat index.  So like yesterday, when the temperature reads 96F, with the high level of humidity at 80%, yields a heat index of 135F (~57C).  In other words, the heat index is what it feels like, with the added humidity.

You don't know the English very well Dave  if its hot here its gotta be the worst in the world  :rolleyes:

Geeze - stay safe you guys! We've been having a heatwave for the past week or so. Brutal. Today it was 35 C - with humidex, it felt like it was 48 C. Air conditioning has been running around the clock. 

If any of you don't have an AC, I would invest in one ASAP. Fans aren't going to help, especially if its humid. Buy those little window ACs if you can't afford to have a central AC installed.

Geeze - stay safe you guys! We've been having a heatwave for the past week or so. Brutal. Today it was 35 C - with humidex, it felt like it was 48 C. Air conditioning has been running around the clock. 

If any of you don't have an AC, I would invest in one ASAP. Fans aren't going to help, especially if its humid. Buy those little window ACs if you can't afford to have a central AC installed.

Unfortunately we don't have the heat for long enough periods to warrant the expense of AC.

Not for a few really hot days per year.

Unfortunately we don't have the heat for long enough periods to warrant the expense of AC.

Not for a few really hot days per year.

True. But, if you think about it, all it takes is a few really hot days per year to kill lots of people/dogs or put them in the hospital for heatstroke. There are people still dying over here from the heat, yet most of us here have AC, mostly being the elderly/small children.

IMO, it would be worth the expense for a little window AC unit. It would only cool off a single room, but atleast you know you have a place to escape to (put the dogs in, etc) if things get really bad. You only have to turn it on during the really hot days.

True. But, if you think about it, all it takes is a few really hot days per year to kill lots of people/dogs or put them in the hospital for heatstroke. There are people still dying over here from the heat, yet most of us here have AC, mostly being the elderly/small children.

IMO, it would be worth the expense for a little window AC unit. It would only cool off a single room, but atleast you know you have a place to escape to (put the dogs in, etc) if things get really bad. You only have to turn it on during the really hot days.

Will have to look into the cost :)

AC's are definitely not the norm here. I don't know a single person that owns one. I don't even have one in my car.

Since monday it's started to get hot here as well but I always close the curtains, open the windows and doors (which puts a nice breeze through the house) and never really have too much problems. It really helps and is much cheaper than a energy hogging AC anyway. It's only my own room that heats up at night but that's just because of my computer.

Ruth does the same tactic. It always feels like it's freezing inside her house. No AC or fan needed. Huskies don't like it, they sleep outside in the sun though  :rolleyes:

I got a room one for my mum a couple of years ago from argos, it was only about £70 I think, you could fill it with water or ice and it worked surprisingly well,  might have to take a look at getting one for us, the fans just not cutting it lol

Just looked, prices go from £49.99 up, that one runs up to 7 hours so might give it a try

Just had a look and the cheapest start at about £350 ($500)

AC's are definitely not the norm here. I don't know a single person that owns one. I don't even have one in my car.

Since monday it's started to get hot here as well but I always close the curtains, open the windows and doors (which puts a nice breeze through the house) and never really have too much problems. It really helps and is much cheaper than a energy hogging AC anyway. It's only my own room that heats up at night but that's just because of my computer.

Ruth does the same tactic. It always feels like it's freezing inside her house. No AC or fan needed. Huskies don't like it, they sleep outside in the sun though :rolleyes:

That's so weird to me! A/C has been standard on cars since I've been driving!

It's an expensive optional extra over here.

The Jeep grand cherokee is the first car I've had thats had AC

but then it is an import.

Most cars over here have a heater and vents that pull air in from the outside.

Modern cars, sure (though they malfunction a bit to much my liking, as well as many guidelines on when and when not to use it). I have an old Peugeot 106 that hasn't and I have never missed it to be honest.

Opening windows does nothing no infact i have been keeping mine shut apart from at night, and blocking any windows so the sun cant get in and then have a fan on but i dont have AC and cannot afford AC right now you will find most of the uk wont have it and probably aren't going to get it either. 

Modern cars, sure (though they malfunction a bit to much my liking, as well as many guidelines on when and when not to use it). I have an old Peugeot 106 that hasn't and I have never missed it to be honest.

The 2 I got now both have AC and so did the cars I owned before and I never had a malfunction on any of them think you just been unlucky Jos :(