Coming To Your Town Soon—The Rising Animosity To Dogs (And Their People)

Elyse

http://thebark.com/content/coming-your-town-soon-rising-animosity-dogs-and-their-people?utm_source=Bark+Newsletter&utm_campaign=9e4163f642-July_Newsletter_2013_17_15_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e8c8dbbec1-9e4163f642-78097121

Opinions? Thoughts? Comments?

Personally, I believe the few bad apples spoil the bunch. Most of the dog owners I know are responsible, and would never let their dog do any of those things. 

Although, it really DOES annoy me...even though I'm a dog owner myself (obviously :P)...when I see dogs running around off-leash where they aren't supposed to. Example: dogs walking beside their owner on the sidewalk. Busy street or no, obedient dog or no, there are leash laws for a reason. Not all people like dogs, some are scared of them, and those who are dog owners probably don't appreciate random dogs running up to them/their leashed dog, potentially causing a fight. 

Couldn't agree more, I've had dog's run up to bear, owners far in the distance, and when their dog starts barking will run over shouting to their little precious asking what's wrong, then blame the aggression on the fact that my dogs on a leash  :angry:

And they shout to you as their dog races towards you. . .

"It's OK they're friendly"

and I have to shout back . . .  "yeah, but mine aren't"

Dopnt blame me if your dog leaves this encounter with a few teeth marks.

All because you couldn't control your dog off lead. :rollingpin:

I am really, really sensitive to this because I am not a dog person. I love my dog, and I tolerate my friends' dogs, but in general they are not my favorite animal - mostly because so many owners are really irresponsible. I do not let my dog off leash. If she is throwing a fit or barking incessantly where she may be bothering others, game over we are going home/back to the car/walking away, etc.  

For example, when we were on vacation two weeks ago, we were up at a lake place. There was a family next door with a retriever that was off leash the entire week. The dog was, admittedly, pretty well behaved and generally stayed within a few feet of his owners. But then the adults got lazy, and the kids started playing fetch and were throwing the ball in front of other people. The dog, being a dog, ran after the ball wherever it ended up landing. Once, they threw it right at Chula (who was on a short 6 foot tie out) and the other dog came barreling at her at full speed. Chula went nuts, poor thing on a tie out, other dog jumping right into her. Another time they threw it and it went past where we were sitting, the dog came barreling through and just about took down my 85 year old grandfather. They got an earful from me on that episode. So obviously, even a well trained dog can be dangerous and an inconvenience to others.

Of course, I also feel this way about people and their babies/toddlers/young children. 

People need to be more thoughtful of others in general. Your right to have something doesn't mean you throw all consideration of other people's feelings out the window. Sometimes it is okay to be slightly inconvenienced for the sake of being courteous.

As has been noted, it's the owners responsibility to make sure that their dog is a well behaved member of society. 

We have a cafe locally where dogs are allowed among the tables outside - at the same time, owners are expected to pick up after their animals and it amazes me how few will even though they and others are eating at adjoining tables.

Is any city becoming less dog friendly, yes probably because the dogs owners aren't taking care of normal responsibilities.

Both my dogs like kids and are very tolerant of them, but I only take one at a time when I'm going someplace where there are kids because I can't watch two of them at the same time even on lead!

If I'm walking on the desert and my dog leaves something, I admit it, it gets left; if I'm in town, no way! 

Others would probably be more receptive to others dogs if the others were more responsible for their dogs.  End of story ...

The area that I live in is not all that dog friendly.  There are some dog parks, and there are some stores you can take your dog into, but it is not anything like what they describe San Francisco as.  

Like Emily, I was never a dog person.  I had a soft spot for huskies/mals but that's all (now I have 3!!! lol).  I would not like it if other dogs were able to run off leash...they are too unpredictable.  

I think if you are in public, unless you are in a designated off leash dog park area that is contained, that your dog should be leashed!  It is the law in every city and town in my area.  I never assume everyone wants to pet my dog, or that they like dogs at all.  However, I do wish there were more places you could take your dog (on leash)