Local Police Department Shoots And Kills 2 Huskies

Jay

First, pardon the lack of details or news story, and I don't usually report things that I heard "through the grapevine" because you all know how stories change....

Earlier this week, the Crown Point, Indiana police department got a call from someome saying 2 wolves killed a cat and were circling someone ready to attack.  (note that a wolf living in this area would be VERY rare!).  The police department determined the animal to be a coyote, and used pepper spray to subdue the animal.  According to police, the animal would not submit, so they shot and killed both of them.  Later, a resident came to the scene because his two Siberian Huskies had gone missing, and it was found that the "coyotes" were actually huskies.  When the wife contacted police upset that her dogs were killed, their response is that "it wasn't a big deal" and the officer in charge was very rude and dismissive, and would not release the bodies to the owners. 

I don't have a first or even second hand account of what happened, and if the dogs tried to attack someone, then I could see protecting themselves.  However, I doubt that is how it went down.  The thing that angers me is 1) how stupid is the officer to claim it is a coyote?  Does he not know the difference between a coyote and a dog?  Doesn't he know that coyotes don't have blue eyes?  2) the professionalism of the police department was disgusting.  They have NO compassion for other people's feelings.  (Also, this is one of MANY stories I have heard from our police department)

I haven't seen the police report yet, but I am going to take a look at it later, and see the pictures of the dogs.  This just makes me so angry, because there is nothing you can do about it, and even if they sue, it is unlikely they would win against the police department.  After all, their dogs did get loose.  It just makes me that much more careful, because I could see Nikko getting out, and I would not be surprised if he killed a cat with his prey drive.  The upsetting thing is that could have easily been him.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That scenario really underscores why this forum, specifically this forum, is so vital. Each of us has the opportunity to not only be made aware when this type of thing occurs, we have the opportunity to be educated about the breed, and then we have not only the opportunity but the responsibility to educate others about Siberian Huskies.

It is truly sad that someone like a police officer, that we are all inclined to trust, would make such an ignorant decision, and end the lives of two Huskies. We have become so intolerant and so quick to judge. I can only hope there is some good that comes from this.

Edited by Mazz

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly how things went down. I did confirm via police report that the police did shoot 2 huskies but other than that I'm going off what someone told me

From "An alternative News Source"

I’m am sorry for the injury to the cat, and the owners of the Sibes will never forgive themselves for their dogs getting out of their yard…but 7 shots by 4 different officers on dogs that where never attacking anyone while they were on scene is OUTRAGEOUS!!!

Bolding mine//al

Also from FaceBook.

Both the articles have the same picture of two beautiful Huskies and a happy owner.  A Police Officer (and I use that real loosely) who can't tell the difference between a dog and a wolf has no business behind a badge.  What really distresses me is that they fired 7 times into two dogs and they were not immediately killed!  I hope that the owners are able to find a basis for an investigation into these four officers and that the cops are, at the very least, educated!

From "An alternative News Source"

I’m am sorry for the injury to the cat, and the owners of the Sibes will never forgive themselves for their dogs getting out of their yard…but 7 shots by 4 different officers on dogs that where never attacking anyone while they were on scene is OUTRAGEOUS!!!

Bolding mine//al

Also from FaceBook.

A Police Officer (and I use that real loosely) who can't tell the difference between a dog and a wolf has no business behind a badge. What really distresses me is that they fired 7 times into two dogs and they were not immediately killed! I hope that the owners are able to find a basis for an investigation into these four officers and that the cops are, at the very least, educated!

I shared this on my facebook and everyone I can think of to do the same.  The "officers" need to be fired.  If it was me, I would have been in jail for going off on them

AND one of the 5 officers that responded was a K9 officer!!!!!!

I read the police report from the officer. He refers to the as coyotes the whole time, and at the time he shot the first one the dog was not even attacking the cat.  He shot the dog 3 more times "to end his suffering" as he puts it.  He did the same to the other dog.  Even his report does not say he was in danger or the dogs were attacking anyone.  Just that they would not go away.  And he purposely referred to them as coyotes, I believe to cover his own butt. I really hope the dog owners sue them.   

A more detailed story

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/crown-point/crown-point-police-shoot-two-dogs-mistaken-for-coyotes/article_3b5110b3-8ce5-51ff-a866-722adf6ba106.html

That is terrible!! I'm over here shaking my head. To me, that was all utterly uncalled for. There is a huge difference in a husky and coyote. And all the shots?! I'm getting seriously angry over here. I'd probably be spending the night in jail if those were my dogs...

A lot of people were saying that the police were justified.  I think that is outrageous!  The gate where the huskies were at was left open, and the dogs did not have their collars on.  The dogs were dirty and muddy and chased and killed a cat, so I understand that, but there was no justification in shooting them.  The officer even stated in the police report that the dogs were NOT aggressive.  In fact, tehy left the dogs bodies in the car because some random passerby wanted them for their pelts. 

The owners showed up afterwards and the police would not release the bodies until the next day, AND they were rude about it, saying that it was no big deal their pets were murdered.

I feel sorry for the cat, but honestly it goes both ways...the cat should have been indoors.  If the cat got out, it was an accident that it happened.

And the fact that the police called them coyotes, even after the incident in his police report.  He never ONCE corrected the report, even after the huskies owners came to the scene. 

There are so many ignorant people around here. I tried replying to some of the comments, and it seems most of them are on the police side.  I had to stop because I realized I was wasting time trying to get through and all I was doing is raising my blood pressure.

There are so many ignorant people around here. I tried replying to some of the comments, and it seems most of them are on the police side.  I had to stop because I realized I was wasting time trying to get through and all I was doing is raising my blood pressure.

See, that's the part I don't get. How on earth are people seeing this as OK & justified?! I hate stupid people.

Honestly, this is why I am so careful now about only letting Chula out while I am watching her, or while she's on her tie out and even then only for a few minutes alone. I know accidents can happen, gates get left open, dog digs under (she did once!), but I do feel like it is my responsibility to keep my dog contained. I am so fearful of her either getting hit by a car or jumping up on someone who is scared of her and having them do something drastic. It's also why I make sure she always, always, always has her collar with her information on her. 

It does seem like they could have called animal control though and used a tranquilizer instead of shooting them dead. :(  From the picture on facebook that was posted, they sure don't look like wild coyotes. Those are some fat coyotes.

Edited by Chula