Huskies Running Away?

Lukenufc

I've read quite a bit that huskies shouldnt really be let off the lead because they run away, however mya is 3 months now and ive always got her off her lead and she never goew further than 15 metres away from me, also I see the same guy almost every day with a husky and a lab both off the lead and walking next to him, so my question is this how many of you have your huskies off the lead? I plan on keeping in the lead as soon as she gets big enough to out run me lol

At 3 months old you are everything to your pup and they won't stray too far from you.

However once they get to about 8 months, they are starting to think for themselves, also the Prey Drive starts to kick in.

THEN everything else in the world is more intersting than you.

If they are off lead then they can and will run off to explore .

Huskies are not street wise dogs, they don't understand traffic and WILL run out into fast moving traffic.

Most of us on the forum advise that if you want to let your dog off do it in a fully enclosed area.

or get a 50 - 100ft training line, then they can run around with a lot of freedom but you still have them.

I know a few husky owners that let their dogs of lead to exercise, but everything ive read says not to, i'm to scared to try it as 'ice' is very easily distracted. when I win the lotto I will buy a mega field all enclosed and husky proof and everyone can come and use it (I wish)

I know a few husky owners that let their dogs of lead to exercise, but everything ive read says not to, i'm to scared to try it as 'ice' is very easily distracted. when I win the lotto I will buy a mega field all enclosed and husky proof and everyone can come and use it (I wish)

You and me both !  That reminds me I haven't checked mine today

I strongly advise against this - huskies do not do well off the leash. They will take off, and having a strong independent and stubborn mind, most will not come when called.

As already said, your puppy is still young, and right now you mean the world to him. But, as he gets older (6 months +) they will start thinking on their own, testing boundaries, and start to become independent. Everything else is more interesting than you are.

I do not trust my husky off lead - I have had too many close calls. It doesn't matter how strong our bond is, I know he will be gone and will not come back. 

As others have said, your girl is only a pup, when the prey drive kicks in is when you'll realise you cannot trust them off lead.

It isn't as bad as it sounds (like some other breed owners say), they're not unhappy, get her a long lead so she can still roam around and run and you can let her off in fully enclosed area. :)

Mishka's old owner told me that she used to be fine off lead, but one day she saw a couple of ducks flying over a head and that was it, he chased for 2 miles.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Nobody can tell you what to do, all we can do is advise you of our own or of other husky owners' experiences.

I've only had 1 of my huskies from a pup. Back then, huskies were rare as a pet & we treated her like any other dog, offlead on the fields at the back of our house, or in a large park; until she was around 18 months old when her hearing became very selective & the rabbits, voles, field mice etc were much more interesting than us 2 crazy fools chasing her down! :lol:  So, for the last 6 yrs, she has been permanently on lead unless at the enclosed dog park. Our other 2 are rescues & we wouldn't take the chance, but saying that, Diesel is now 10 yrs old and we do let him off lead on a beach or wooded walk where he follows the paths etc and trots along with us (he's too old & heavy to run anywhere really) but other than that, I would recommend huskies on lead at all times unless in a secure area

I find the thing with huskies is, there is very little loyalty with the breed. I could hand any of mine to a total stranger & they would walk off, curl up on their sofa & as long as they are fed & watered, they'd be happy! :rolleyes:  So while I know a few (and I mean a few with the thousands of huskies I am aware of on here & in life in general) have recall, I would never rely on it in an emergency

I find the thing with huskies is, there is very little loyalty with the breed. I could hand any of mine to a total stranger & they would walk off, curl up on their sofa & as long as they are fed & watered, they'd be happy! :rolleyes:  So while I know a few (and I mean a few with the thousands of huskies I am aware of on here & in life in general) have recall, I would never rely on it in an emergency

I have literal proof you can do this with a husky. :P

During one of the times Suka ran off, a little kid approached him, snapped a leash on, and walked him back to their house. It was a 5 minute walk - apparently Suka was fine with it. He was wagging his tail, just happy to meet new people. When his parents saw Suka, they looked at his tag and called our number to tell us they found our dog. 

Its always a good idea to teach recall with your husky in case they ever get out or slip their leash but i personally would advise against walking them off leash on a regular basis.  I trust Polee 99.9% to come when called but I still wouldn't let her off leash unless the area was secure as there is that slight chance she may not come back and that isn't a chance I'm willing to take.  As a dog owner it's ultimately your choice what you do with your dog I and others can only advise you of our experiences with this breed which to me are more unique than any other I've come across.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do

I always love seeing dogs just walking with their humans. As of right now kauro chases everything that moves. I'm afraid once he does get lose that it will just be a half hr game of trying to get him back in control... When we are in the dog park it's always nice seeing kauro staying very close by unless he is busy playing. But I do know how fast he loses focus when walking.

Chula stays on lead. The few times she has pulled the leash from my hand she's just run to the neighbors house because she is obsessed with their cat.

When we were on vacation with my extended family, it became very clear that she would absolutely, happily go live with whomever gave her food and belly rubs. I try not to take it personally. It's just her nature.

None of mine come offlead I would never trust them there be gone. Jasper and gus both came offlead with there old owners I won't risk it. My oldest boy and first husky would never come bk given the chance pmsl

Diamond stays on lead as well. Learned it the hard way. Dime is my first dog and I adopted him in a "it's now or never" kind of situation so obviously no breed research was done beforehand. Tried to train him to walk off lead and one day I almost lost him. I cried the whole night even after I got him back :( funny thing is he actually made progress in the off-lead training. Enough progress for me to trust him walk himself home from about 2 minutes away. So... No, it's a false sense of security. Huskies will run. Or at least 99% of them will. 

Panda is always on lead unless he's in a semi enclosed park or the fully enclosed dog park. I did at one time let him off lead at the beach. My friends brought their dogs as well so i thought he'd want to play and what not instead but he chose to follow his nose and went around everywhere else to sniff out the location. Needless to say my heart skipped for a moment and i had to go catch him back. i do have a friend who's huskies are always off leash but they listen very well but they have shock collars on. 

Ill be keeping her on a lead from now on, im not suprised they listen well with shock collars on, im sure your friend wouldnt step out of line if she was being electrocuted every time she did

Not sure how much work it took to get them to where they are. But they are at heel and obey commands very quickly. But i know i wouldn't do anything that would get me shocked lol.