First Aid Training Came In Handy

Val (Zebedee)

When you take first aid training, unless it you are perhaps connected with the medical profession, you hope you'll never need it. Today, I had to use mine.

I was in town heading back to my car when out the corner of my eye, I saw a woman trip & fall into a glass window of a bar / restaurant. She was wearing slip on sandals & had misjudged a 2" step down in the pavement, she fell forward & banged her head quite hard on the glass as she went down.

I ran over & chatted with her while arranging one person to call an ambulance, another "dolt" telling me to move her in to the recovery position, another "prat" asking her if she wanted a drink ..... all the while talking to her to keep her calm. She was a 67 year old lady & was more concerned with making a spectacle of herself & hoping no-one she knew would walk past, bless her. I took her watch off as she was complaining about her wrist hurting, she had broken it before & thought it had been done again; I must say it started to bruise and swell up very quickly though I didn't crack on I was alarmed, she was shaken up enough.

I stayed with her chatting away (total nonsense, as usual!) till the ambulance arrived who got her on a chair, strapped her in & took her to hospital.

It's at times like that I am thankful my company pay for us to get trained up if we want to be, but like I said at the start, you secretly hope you never have to call on it.

I hope she will be OK.

Well done you. people do tend to panic when accidents happen. I'm sure that lady was very grateful that you were talking nonsense to her. Took her mind off things! So give yourself a pat on the back :D

errr why was someone a prat for offering a drink? in this weather a nice cool glass of water or juice might have been nice, i'm sure they didn't mean a voddie and coke. I did first aid training and even tho I forgot it all i'm sure they never said thou shalt not drink lol. but well done you for coming to her aid, when plenty would have walked by

Wow well done Val

Loops head injuries are dangerous and they patient isn't supposed to eat or drink anything that's what the doctors told me when I had to take my step daughter to hospital with a head injury a few months ago x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Way to go!! Its invaluable training. Kudos to you for helping!!

I've once had a man go into full cardiac and respiratory arrest... (OK, well he was considered dead) he had a whole audience just standing there, no one either not knowing what to do or didn't want to do anything. I jumped in barking orders at people while I started CPR. By the time paramedics got there, he had a weak pulse. I assisted in inserting trachea tube and AED (chest shock pads). It still blows me away to this day that no one would do anything. I'm talking 15+ people.

I keep a medical bag and 1st aid kit in the back of my car for such occasions.

yep, as Saz said, any head injury has to be fully investigated, they may have internal bleeding etc so until a professional has checked them out, no drinks whatsoever (it may hinder further treatment if it turns out severe)... though she was dying for a cup of tea, God love her :)

Hope she is home with just a sore wrist, a bump on her head & a bruise on her knee (she did go down heavy) :(

Nice one!

Reminds me of, a few months ago, when I saw a riderless motorbike go passed into a hedge. We were about 4 cars back from the car-turns-right-across-bike-coming-the-other-way. I sat there frozen and OH was out the car like a whippet (well, they're slightly quicker than Huskies! LOL!) - I couldn't see what was going on but the biker, who was concious, was determined to get his helmet off and OH was determinedly preventing! There then appeared a GP and nurse who took over but the biker looked to be pretty much OK when we resumed our journey.

Wow well done Val

Loops head injuries are dangerous and they patient isn't supposed to eat or drink anything that's what the doctors told me when I had to take my step daughter to hospital with a head injury a few months ago x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

now that is interesting, when my dad  headbutted the road after slipping on ice no mention was ever made not to eat or drink. they just said keep an eye on him and if he started vomiting to take him back

Thanks, guys, I did nothing really but sit talking with her till the ambulance came & did basic stuff, checked her over without being hands on to tell the medics what I could, but I'm so glad I took the course, and well done to everyone else who has had to call on their training, you only realise how invaluable it is when it's called on.

Poor thing. Did glass break at all?

Fortunately no, it was toughened safety glass but it was about 5' across & 8' high, massive floor to ceiling window. It was an awful thud :(