How To Stop Zach From Biting

ZachAttack

My pup nips and bites when playing which i know is normal for a pup but sometimes it gets too much especailly when playing with him he can go for the face, ears, neck or anything he can get a hold of.

I dont mind him lightly biting as thats part of playing but he sort of pounces (it especially hurts on the nose).

Anyway was just wondering if this is something i just have to put up with or is there anyway i can stop him from doing it? i dont want to tell him off for just playing so whats the best way?

Thanks,

Chris & Andy

it's not a behavior you want to condone, so I would follow Nixy's advice.  A firm NO or other noise when he does this then ignore and walk away, or stop the play .  It is normal puppy behavior, and if was taken away from his mother too early it will probably be worse than normal.  They learn bite inhibition from their littermates and mother

• 2 weeks later...

The guy who runs the puppy class we go to says you should imagine an old man has pinched your bottom in the post office queue and tell them off using the tone you would use for him! It's slowly working, although I find Khaleesi nips at me in the morning cos she wants to go for a wee, and when she thinks she should have lunch, cheeky monkey! Good luck x

The guy who runs the puppy class we go to says you should imagine an old man has pinched your bottom in the post office queue and tell them off using the tone you would use for him! It's slowly working, although I find Khaleesi nips at me in the morning cos she wants to go for a wee, and when she thinks she should have lunch, cheeky monkey! Good luck x

lol my girl even tho she's nearly 4 does this when I'm a few minutes late for a walk she'll give me a light nip on my leg or bum lol

• 5 months later...

I'll answer on Zach's behalf lol. He's now 7 months old and never bites unless u play with him and encourage him to. All i did was say "No!" really harshly and pulled my hand away it might have taken a few weeks but you have to be consistent. When it got really bad and he wouldn't listen I used to just tap him on the nose, not hard but enough to make him think twice. Eventually all I had to do was raise my hand as if i was going to tap him and he'd  back off straight away.