Why I'm Ashamed To Be A Vet:

Dunc

My previous dogs vets wouldn't put him down till they had tried a course of this and a course of that.

My current vets for the cat wanted me to "keep an eye" on her tooth, as he wanted to take it out due to being to go black at bottom, checked it the next day black was gone, turned out she had something in it, and it didn't need removing....cheek!!

Wow, very interesting article.  Doesn't sound like my vet is only concerned about money, but I haven't had anything major happen to them. It's very sad though, that they would risk the well being and comfort of your pet just to get more money!

I am so glad we take ours to the vet we do. Dr. Vinnibomboo (name changed to protect his identity) has always explained the options, the risks, and the costs. I then ask him if he has a boat payment coming up. If he says "yes", we go the cheap route, if he says "no" we take the middle cost option. And if he says he has no boat, we go for broke.

Actually, he is a very honest individual, both in the clinic and outside of the clinic. He always gives us alternatives when the cost for treatment is going to be high. He also tells us flat out, if it were his dog, what course he would take if money were no object, and what course he would take if budget were a concern. What's funny is, sometimes, the course he would take is the same. It is, however, because the risk is low and the chance of success is excellent. He cares for the animals that come into his clinic, and that is quite obvious in the way he interacts with our dogs. He also is very personable to us and his other clients. He's not a rich person, but I imagine he does all right.

All kidding aside, this can really make or break a pet owner. The risks, the percentages, the costs, they all come into bear upon the pet owner, who only wants what is best for their pet. Sometimes, what is best is to pass peacefully across the Rainbow Bridge and not line the pockets of an otherwise unscrupulous so-called professional.

Edited by Mazz

Our family cat was poisoned with antifreeze a few years back. It was bad. Seizures, twitches, involuntary urination, etc. Poor thing was dying. The vet my father went to was pushing treatments and 'cures' that would extend Simba's life by 6-8 months. As sad as it was, we put him down. There was no reason to extend his suffering. Its sad that people will put their feelings first before the pet's well being.

Our family cat was poisoned with antifreeze a few years back. It was bad. Seizures, twitches, involuntary urination, etc. Poor thing was dying. The vet my father went to was pushing treatments and 'cures' that would extend Simba's life by 6-8 months. As sad as it was, we put him down. There was no reason to extend his suffering. Its sad that people will put their feelings first before the pet's well being.

Or cat, Wicca, had a cancerous growth inside his mouth. It could not be removed but the growth could be somewhat slowed down with medicines. But in the end it's fatal nonetheless. Me and my mother both decided that we'll do that UNTIL he's starting to show signs of suffering. And thus we put him to sleep a few weeks later because he couldn't eat any more, but at least his last couple of weeks were free of pain.

The scary part of this story is what our vet told us. Many people cannot part with their animal and don't want to decide when to PTS them and therefore opt in to use the medicine for as long as it's needed. In this case that means continuing until the bump blocks the windpipe and basically choking the animal to death. Even when warned, the vet still had people who'd rather do this than putting them to sleep earlier.

The pet owner needs to take some responsibility and know, in advance, what your limits are - emotionally and financially. One of the reasons I dearly adore my vet is because we have similar beliefs' on when enough is enough...

That is not to say that I'm not given options on care. 

I really don't believe that the entire 'blame' falls on a vet. If you don't make your choice of a vet based on the entire experience, knowing that our fur-kids won't live as long as we do, then you aren't being honest with yourself, nor fair to the fur-kid.

In the same breath, I'd like to say that for some, the chance is what they need. I would never make the choice for someone else. Everyone has their own limits.

Many years ago, I had a GSD that developed cancer at the age of 12; he had never been to a vets since catching Parvo aged 8 months and surviving. As I walked him to the vets that last day, I somehow knew deep down it was bad & decided there & then he was not going to suffer. Thankfully, the vet never tried to talk me out of it.

Years later, Myshka hurt her back jumping in to the boot of the car on day; that night she was screaming in pain & we managed to get her to the vets. Several appointments later, her being kept in for 5 days as their x-ray machine was broken & we had to wait for it to be fixed before she could be fully diagnosed then being made to pay for that on top of ongoing treatment made me realise there is a vast spectrum of vets & needless to say, we left that practice & are now with one that has seen my snake and my dogs

Intresting article, bit worrying when we're going to the vets on Tuesday to get her passport done, I wonder what the new vet will say is wrong with her on top of the £200+ its already going to cost..

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2