Worst Place To Work In The Heat?

Val (Zebedee)

I work on a waste water treatment works in Manchester and in this heat, the stench of poop is inbearable! :wacko:

I used to work in a hairdressers & the heat with all the dryers going etc made you melt.

What would you say is the worst place to work in hot weather and why?

Cooking In a hot steamy kitchen. Professional restaurants probably have good ventilation but our work doesn't even have a fan, it gets so hot all the windows steam up. Thank goodness it's only for half an hour and most children right now are packed lunches!

Edited by emma1979

I've worked at stable yards, and when it is really hot it is very hard work, physical work from 7am to 8pm is already tiring but when you've got the heat too you cannot stand at the end of the day lol

I do agree it must be pretty terrible in a kitchen and waste water though, don't know how you can even breath :(

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Steel foundry.

Smelting ovens generating many hundreds of degrees of heat, todays temperature outside would be nice and cool

Anywhere near my mothers feet....

You could bottle that and sell it as nuclear warfare. ..

I worked in a car favtory polishing the unpainted bodies... due to not wanting any contamination we wore nylon babygros and were enclosed..that was a sob in summer

I work on a waste water treatment works in Manchester and in this heat, the stench of poop is inbearable! :wacko:

I used to work in a hairdressers & the heat with all the dryers going etc made you melt.

What would you say is the worst place to work in hot weather and why?

woah i do NOT envy you!!!

I'll stick to my nice air conditioned office lol :P

I'm a chef ...not pleasant in the heat but we have quite a well ventilated kitchen so that parts not so bad! It's the pokey pot wash room that's awful! Hot steamy dishwasher with a teeny tiny window that opens about a cm! Don't like washing up! Lol

I can imagine how the people out on the streets feel like. Like those who have to fix holes or cracked pipes and all that; ~38 degrees, sun on top of you throughout the whole day and then you have the hot asphalt underneath your feet.

I'm quite happy with our double AC office!

I used to work at a garbage company.  Fortunately I worked in the operations department, and not out collection garbage so I had my own air conditioned office. But when the guys came in after their shifts they smelled horrible!  I had a can of Frebreze handy for hot summer days LOL.

I used to work at a garbage company.  Fortunately I worked in the operations department, and not out collection garbage so I had my own air conditioned office. But when the guys came in after their shifts they smelled horrible!  I had a can of Frebreze handy for hot summer days LOL.

Oh yeah, I can agree on that one, the guys I schedule for fix waste water pumps out in the streets (the little pumps that force the waste from people's houses to the treatment works) so when they block up, they have to lift & unblock the unmentionables from the pumps to get it flowing again - then they come to my office for a chat! :huh:  Not nice :wacko:  :lol:

Corn detasseling was the worst for me. Getting up at 3am to ride a bus to the cornfield we were assigned that day. We would hop on the platforms on the tractor by 4:30-5:00am and ride it through the fields detasseling the corn all day. Not only were you under the unforgiving sun for hours and hours, but also standing hunched over the entire time reaching and pulling off every single tassel as you passed it. Sweat was literally streaming off my face and my clothes drenched. We'd get done about 5:00pm, ride the bus back (no air conditioning) all the way home. It was soooo hot. By the end of the day, you were so sore and exhausted that all you wanted was a cold shower and go to bed. Food didn't even seem appetizing. Just sleep.

Then get up the next day to do it all over again...

I did a stint of putting insulation in roofs during a Perth summer, one day was 42C outside and the roof cavity was around 55C+ average was around 40 outside 50 inside, fully clothed, jeans, long sleeve shirt, bandanna over head and breathing mask. That was the hardest job I have ever done. The second hardest was painting thousands of wooden highway posts in a tin shed in summer, temp probably only averaged at around 44C inside  :P

Slightly off topic - It seems that Huskies in Perth are better able to cope with the heat than those in the Northern Hemisphere. I went to a Husky meet for the sleddog association in mid Autumn where the temp was 35C and the huskies didn't seem to be bothered at all. THey don't race the dogs in those temperatures though. I wonder if being born and bred in a hotter climate makes them more tolerant of heat? Of the 200 odd dogs there, they all seemed to have coats similar to the what most here have???

I know the UK is having a hot spell, but 30C on a summer day here would be very very mild, having said that I lived in the UK for 2 years and I recall the odd Summer day of 28C and it did feel pretty uncomfortable for sure.

Having said all that, I don't like the extreme heat, probably my Irish genes screaming that 40C to way too hot  :D Gimme me a 26C day, and I will be much happier.

It's the humidity, not the heat that generally floors my dogs. And living next to the ocean, we have lots of that as soon as the temperature rises above 20°C (68°F). You people may seem to be okay with 30 and 40, but as soon as it gets above 20 here it's enough to drench your clothes in sweat and make it harder to breath :(

I feel more bad for the dogs though. Wish it was much colder weather for them.

It's the humidity, not the heat that generally floors my dogs. And living next to the ocean, we have lots of that as soon as the temperature rises above 20°C (68°F). You people may seem to be okay with 30 and 40, but as soon as it gets above 20 here it's enough to drench your clothes in sweat and make it harder to breath :(

I feel more more bad for the dogs though. Wish is was much colder weather for them.

yeah I think you are right, we have a very dry heat in summer.