New Puppy

This is my first post.

I have a 9 month old male husky who is very friendly and loves other dogs he can be boisterous but thats all.

We have just got a new husky pup who is 7 weeks old and has came from the same breeder woth the same parents.

We took our 9 month old husky around to see the pups and he got on really well with them all and was very gentle with them.

We brought out new pup home last night and he was settling in really good. Our 9 month old husky was watching him carefully and them he was going up to the pup and kept hitting him with him paw and the pup would cry and role over. In the morning everything was fine just the older husky is keep barking at the pup and scaring him and just before as the pup was eating the older husky went for him. We have never seem this behaiver from him before. Both dogs are males and we are thinking of getting the older one castrated. Would this calm him down around the pup ?

sounds a bit like play...trying to get him to play with him...younger pup is being submissive which is what you would expect.

I would keep an eye on it, and if you feel he is being to much then a time out wouldn't be bad, but you should have seen what my two did to the rottie I baby sat...barking, pushing, pawing...nightmare, and all in play :)

try and get a video so we can see exactly what it is your seeing, may help xx

I agree with Toni, perhaps seeing a video of the dogs interacting, especially around food, would help better. It could be the older dog is trying to initiate play, it could be jealousy that another dog is in his home that I presume has had no other dogs since you have had him? It all depends on a lot of signs the older dog is giving off as to what he means by it.

Taking things a piece at a time, taking your boy with you to see the new pup was a good move; at least you know that off the cuff your boy isn't just out and out vicious.

Seven weeks is a bit young to bring the new guy home, eight to ten would have been better as this is when pups learn a lot about how to interact with other dogs.  But you can't change that so let's truck on ...

Tagging him with a paw sounds a whole lot like your older boy is saying "What *is* this? Why is *he* here?" Not intentionally mean, just curious and the puppy is responding by submission - that's what he knows how to do and it's the right thing for him to do. The barking at (scaring) him sounds, to me, like intimidation -or- it could be an invitation to play that the puppy doesn't know how to respond to.  Can you tell from body position whether the older dog is in play mode (typically head down, butt up and up close) or intimidation (standing on all fours, possibly with hackles up, from a couple of feet away).  As the others have said, we can't see how they're interacting so all we can do is guess.  A vid would be a big help if you have a phone that can take one.

The issue with the food is all too typical, your older dog ( sure would be nice if I had a name in here ) expects that food that has been put down is *his* food, so when the younger pup starts to eat he thinks that it's getting *his* food.

Suggestion,  try to keep all interaction between the dogs supervised, if the older boy starts getting too rough then "ah ah easy" and if he doesn't then take him to a time out.  The little guy doesn't know enough about being a dog yet to know how to react - you need to protect him as much as you can.  Accept that a certain amount of rough play is normal, but be ready to interrupt when the little guy seems to be getting beaten up!

Food, for the time being, I'd make sure that not only are they fed separately but in a way so that they can't see each other.  Possibly slightly different times ....

I think it safe to say that it's probably going to take the older dog time (a week or so) to figure out that the new one is part of the pack and that it's okay.  Right now, he's having to deal with a stranger who's an interloper and probably getting a good part of your attention - what he used to have all to himself.

I'd agree with the others too.  When Nikko was 9 months old I brought Yukon home, and he was just about 8 weeks old too.  The pawing and barking at the puppy seems like he is trying to initate play.  This is what Nikko does all the time! I was nervous bringing Yukon home because he was sooo small, but he held his own lol. 

I would only have them together when supervised.  If you can't watch them, then I would crate the little one until Keba gets used to Ryker.  It might take a week or so, like others said, before he gets used to him as part of the pack.

I would make sure to feed them apart and not too close to each other. 

As far as getting Keba neutered, it won't necessarily calm him down.  Some people have said that it calmed their dog down, but it does not in all cases.  As for Nikko's case, it did nothing, however he was only 4 months old when I got him neutered. 

Thank you all for the greet advice it seems to be working, when the older dogs het to rough we give him time out and then hes a lot better. Older dog is called Keba and pup is called Ryker. It al seems to be play which is good.

Yay, glad its helping :D

huskys play rough as it is, so its not un common for people to mistake rough housing with aggression. once you see them interact more you'll be able to tell when its getting out of hand

:)

I'd agree with the others too.  When Nikko was 9 months old I brought Yukon home, and he was just about 8 weeks old too.  The pawing and barking at the puppy seems like he is trying to initate play.  This is what Nikko does all the time! I was nervous bringing Yukon home because he was sooo small, but he held his own lol. 

I would only have them together when supervised.  If you can't watch them, then I would crate the little one until Keba gets used to Ryker.  It might take a week or so, like others said, before he gets used to him as part of the pack.

I would make sure to feed them apart and not too close to each other. 

As far as getting Keba neutered, it won't necessarily calm him down.  Some people have said that it calmed their dog down, but it does not in all cases.  As for Nikko's case, it did nothing, however he was only 4 months old when I got him neutered. 

yeah Luka is still a lunatic and he's been neutered since he was 7 months old lol