Teaching A Dog To Jog

Chula

I know, I know - Chula is only 8 months, she's not ready to be run yet. The problem I am having is that if I speed up the walk at all, she thinks it's play time and will cross in front of me and get down in her bowing position or jump up and bite the leash. Trust me when I say that my jogging is barely a trot for her. I am not a runner. 

So in an attempt to try to teach her to walk quickly, so that someday she will be ready to jog - how did you do it?  Eventually I'd like to be able to bike with her, but she equates any kind of running/fast movement with "chase" or "run around in circles". 

I jogged a bit with Skye since she was 5 months old not far though she just got used to it and we slowed right down after about a min as it tired her out :) I can jog with them both now both jog nicely up front i have to be careful not to go to quick or they full on pelt and i cant keep up lol never had issues with mine trying to play during etc so cant help you there

I'm also in the same boat. When I start to jog. Kauro thinks its play time and starts to jump at me bite me tangle me up. He also tries Togo full speed and pulls me for a fast second til he sees I can't keep up... I'm so ready for a scooter... Lol

I am NOT a runner or jogger but my roomate will run and bike with the dogs.  For running/jogging he bought this belt attachment with a leash that goes to their harness.  For the bike he got what's called "the Springer". 

I think Chula is a lot like Yukon in the sense that they both are a little nuts on walks, eating everything, playing, etc, but once they get going it is pretty natural for them.  Running kind of keeps them focused rather than eating everything on the ground.  He is also teaching him the commands for left, right, etc.  

Chula is actually pretty good on walks most of the time as long as I'm on pavement or sidewalks. If there is grass or stuff to smell, she will sniff sniff sniff like a little beagle with her nose to the ground, and inhale anything she finds on the way. She actually doesn't pull much anymore unless she sees a squirrel or a cat, but it's the stimulation of "running" that gets her jumping and playing. I might try getting a really short lead and see if that works. I am sooooo not a runner, but I really would like her to be able to run along side me while I bike at some point. It would be good exercise for both of us, as lately it seems even the four walks a day (3 short, one long) she is getting are inadequate to tire her little butt out.

Edited by Chula

Chula is actually pretty good on walks most of the time as long as I'm on pavement or sidewalks. If there is grass or stuff to smell, she will sniff sniff sniff like a little beagle with her nose to the ground, and inhale anything she finds on the way. She actually doesn't pull much anymore unless she sees a squirrel or a cat, but it's the stimulation of "running" that gets her jumping and playing. I might try getting a really short lead and see if that works. I am sooooo not a runner, but I really would like her to be able to run along side me while I bike at some point. It would be good exercise for both of us, as lately it seems even the four walks a day (3 short, one long) she is getting are inadequate to tire her little butt out.

huskies CAN be tired out???  :o LOL my boy is walked for a total of 90-120 minutes per day and even if he acted tired, show him that lead and he'd run around in circles again  :wacko: I don't understand these dogs  :lol: anyways, I do think the shorter lead is a great idea. But you can also try walking quickly.. Like, walking in a faster pace with broader steps. I'm a terrible runner as well so this is what I do in every afternoon walk. The fast pace would get Diamond trotting, but it's not fast enough for him to start sprinting and dragging me along. And it's as tiring as jogging for the human too! Diamond is also a hound in disguise... He actually would pick sniffing grass over eating cheese (proven!). He never grew out of it like I thought he would LOL so yeah can't help with that one  :P