Micro-Chip?

Jaxy

I am very paranoid about my 4 dogs getting lost or stolen. I have all mine micro-chipped, they all have Boomerang ID tags, FurCode tags (the FurCode has more detailed info). I also have GPS units that attach to their collars that alerts my phone if they leave their home zone. No that TAGG units do not come off easily, yes if someone steals one of my dogs they can remove the unit but at least maybe I can catch them before they realize what it is but if they get out and get lost I can track them to where ever they are. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All mine are micro-chipped, it was a Godsend when Myshka got out as a youngster as it meant they had a contact straight away. I have done a micro-chipping course so I am qualified to micro-chip small pets too (guinea pigs, cats, rabbits, ferrets, dogs etc) and I too cannot understand why people would not get their pets chipped from an early age

Val--

How about microchipping an Umbrella Cockatoo? Is that possible? I'd love to get Casper chipped in case he gets out of the house or off the leash and flies off.

Val--

How about microchipping an Umbrella Cockatoo? Is that possible? I'd love to get Casper chipped in case he gets out of the house or off the leash and flies off.

Ooh, not sure about birds but the chip is the size of a grain of rice. I've only done small furries! :)

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk HD

All of my animals are chipped. We also rescued Balto from the Humane Society here where he was chipped originally so if anyone ever steals him and we find him and call the cops and he is scanned his chip is set up where both us and the Humane Society are to be notified so the cops can go and ask if we were the ones who adopted him and we signed a contract stating if anything happens that we can't take care of Balto he goes back to them and they have pictures of him, so even if the people who stole him take him to the vet and try to prove ownership that way it wouldn't work since the Humane Society is also on his which they can prove we are the ones who adopted him, plus we would also file a missing dog report with them and that would add to him being ours.

How much are the GPS units? I'm going to look up some of the stuff you mention since I never heard of it.

TAGG is the name of them. The first unit is like 99 bucks for the unit and base. Then 89 for each until. Cost me 400 for all 4 of mine and it is like 10 bucks a month for monitoring. My seem costly to some but for me it is worth every penny for the peace of mind.

There are very few cons to having a pet microchipped. My issue with them is the number of times that they are ineffective. Not bad, but simply are not scanned. There are articles upon articles of cases where a pet was hit on the side of the road and when it was picked up it was never scanned for a microchip. Cases where the dog was stolen and the chip was never scanned when it was taken to the vet. And certainly cases where the pet was found as a stray and brought to a shelter where rather than scan the dog, it was just put down. 

In short, microchips are only as effective as the vet or shelter that scans for them.

I can only hope that if kauro is ever stolen the vet will scan his micro chip. It should be the first thing they do. Not sure what info micro chips can hold but it would be nice if micro chips could hold a lot more info. Like shot records or past events like a little passport of sorts.

I can only hope that if kauro is ever stolen the vet will scan his micro chip. It should be the first thing they do. Not sure what info micro chips can hold but it would be nice if micro chips could hold a lot more info. Like shot records or past events like a little passport of sorts.

A microchip can't hold up any info. It's just a number, like a barcode on a product. The company you registered it with has a database of all these numbers that can translate it back to names/addresses. In theory they could store as many things as you want but that would mean having to request data from that company every time they need that info which would be a bit of an annoying process. Same goes for updating it, especially as some companies want money if you update your microchip details.

I've never heard of that, how do they work?

I've seem some gps trackers for the collar, but it was about £200 if I remember correctly, I can't afford that lol

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

You can get one for a tenner on Ebay now from China.  I got one, but havnt figured the set up yet.    its only about an inch and a half square and you just pop a new sim card in it.

You can get one for a tenner on Ebay now from China. I got one, but havnt figured the set up yet. its only about an inch and a half square and you just pop a new sim card in it.

Ohh I'll have a look, thanks!

There is also an alternative to a microchip too. My First ever Husky was tattooed in the ear with his I/d number, by the Breeder

Yeah I remember our dogs were tattoed, I don't know why they don't do it anymore?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2